M100 S2 Elan Jim Clark Special Editon

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Postby Sy V » Tue 12.08.2008, 11:40

It was another option.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Gazza » Tue 12.08.2008, 14:23

Sy

"In January 1995 a GT Commemorative edition was launched in Lotus Racing Green. Based on the S4, it celebrated Lotus’ success in GT racing, although the car itself was not a notable sales winner. Only 11 were built, each was given a limited edition number."

But I'm afraid this information was taken from the ESPRIT history files.

I have not found any proof in writing or heard from anyone in the know (not including you of course :lol: ) Also none of the Elan's were given special Limited Edition numbers either. I was told by Paul Matty about mine ( as the Midnight's were supposed to be sold by him) that in those days if you had the money you could have any colour you wanted, which is why there are so many S2's in colours that were never advertised in the Brochures.

My guess is people just copied the Esprit idea :roll:

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby Sy V » Tue 12.08.2008, 14:31

Hmm, I wonder if that is the (incorrect) source of the eleven theory - I'm on to it, as I seem to recall when I first got the Elan trivia bug that the figure was 5, 6 or 8 but I was subsequently convinced by a fellow enthusiast of the 11 theory...

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Gazza » Tue 12.08.2008, 14:45

Pictures of the Esprit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S2 Midnight Blue #660
SOLD

Gazza
God

Postby Sy V » Tue 12.08.2008, 15:10

Fascinating stuff.
I've spoken to two of Lotus' longer-serving employees and, whilst they remember the Esprits neither of them recall commemorative Elans.
They did say that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a dealer may have ordered a batch in Metallic RGs (like B & C do for their 'own' Elises) and called them Commemorative Specials.
So, I've given them the Chassis No of two from the database and they're going to pull the build records to see if there's any commonality... the saga a continues.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Gazza » Tue 12.08.2008, 17:08

Excellent news, thanks for your efforts so far.

This is getting interesting and hopefully we will get an answer one way or the other :D

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
SOLD

Gazza
God

Postby Sy V » Wed 13.08.2008, 08:24

Nothing concrete as yet and I've been asked to forward another couple of chassis numbers to see if their records contain anything else.
However, the two I chose were both '95 cars (I haven't got any of these babies listed in '94) both left the factory on 26 May 95 and each car's build records are annotated 'Lotus Racing Green - Race Sponsorship'. Unfortunately one went to Rylands and the other to HR Owen which shags the dealership order theory.

Lotus refer to the solid green as BRG and the metallic as LRG, btw.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Sy V » Wed 13.08.2008, 09:53

I forwarded another two chassis numbers to Lotus.
Ultimately, this little exercise has proved inconclusive as the reply below explains.

Simon

Both are not race sponsorship cars.
Racing Green (metallic) in colour with green piping on the seats, that's all.

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Gazza » Wed 13.08.2008, 14:50

Sy

You have a PM :D
S2 Midnight Blue #660
SOLD

Gazza
God

Postby RayF » Fri 15.08.2008, 19:36

Being in the LRG club I though I'd ask Lotus about mine. They have it down as just a special order, however I did ask if they had any record of there being a Commemorative edition at all - he replied:

"Some of my colleagues remember a green/yellow commemorative model, but not all limited editions were recorded with the build books so unfortunately I am unable to confirm if your car was a commemorative model or not. "

So it sounds to me as if it was all very informal and that there isn't really an official Commemorative edition. Probably someone in marketing thought it might be a good idea to run a few off in LRG/Yellow at the time they did the Esprit. Or maybe they had some Esprit paint left over... it would fit rather well with the spare parts history of the S2 :-D
Lotus Racing Green No 451
RayF

Previous

Return to Elan Buying Help