Does this look right?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Does this look right?

Postby GavT » Wed 16.07.2008, 04:52

Should the panel fit on the front of this car be a concern? seller says it has not been hit. I have heard mixed reports of panel fit being good & bad.

Apparently the paint is 'pinking' just a little. How does one get rid of the 'pinking' - cutting polish & elbow grease or respray??

I'm thinking of buying the car but I can't view it without flying to see it. I don't want to spend the money on a flight if the car looks suspect from the panel fit.

Thanks for your experienced eyes.

Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won"
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly"
Sir Winston Churchill 1874 - 1965
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby Doug » Wed 16.07.2008, 06:13

Gavin, I'd say you can't tell from the picture. It's certainly possible it has never had a problem and that's just the way it has "weathered" over time.

Get some good pictures of the whole car if you want to scrutinize it as you should before going to see it . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby GavT » Wed 16.07.2008, 06:41

here are some profile views
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly"
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby Doug » Wed 16.07.2008, 07:10

profile lines look good (for an Elan)

to see Elan trouble spots you should get pictures of:
front bumper around the bottom if able
engine bay pics
pics of leather condition of seats
general interior bit condition pics
hood and trunk paint condition pics (especially for red as it tends to "pink" or bubble up more than other colors)
trunk lining and under the floor where the spare lives

certainly it would be hard to get pics of the suspensions, brake part conditions, front intercooler and oil cooler, and fine details of the engine and interior and this you would have to look for on your own.
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby GavT » Wed 16.07.2008, 18:42

Having considered my options and looked long and hard at the photographs, I am really not happy with the panel fit all around the front of this car. I fear it is the tell tell signs of a mishap. So my search goes on.

Doug thanks for the input.

Gavin
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby stevo » Fri 18.07.2008, 11:43

looks good.
the fixings holding the bumper on are ajustable. maybe the bumper has been taken off to fit a new rad or something?
arancio baby! thats italian for orange! i think?
stevo
God

Postby Sy V » Fri 18.07.2008, 13:19

He could very well be right, you know!

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby WillB » Fri 18.07.2008, 13:52

:shock:

As said above, looks very minor to me, seems to line up ok at the sides and looks a nice car from the pics

Might just need a tweek.
WillB
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 18.07.2008, 15:41

Remember, the car was built by hand, not by robots. Some panel allignment irregularities will be there on all of them. That's part of the appeal, actually. Anyway, I don't think it's the bumper he's concerned about. It looks like it's the part that runs between the headlight/bonnet, and the bumper that could be out of alignment a little. Notice the space between it and the bumper on the left side of the picture, and the lack of space on that side between it and the headlight cover.

That's the front topshell, if I'm not mistaken. Is there adjusment there to get it lined up better?
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby GavT » Fri 18.07.2008, 16:01

It was not just the way the bumper was hanging. The panel fit between the bonnet and clam shell (between the light pods) looks like something is twisted. It's down on one side and flush on the other. The gaps between the bonnet and wings are unequal. The light pods also do not sit correctly. I don't believe the car left the factory like this so something or someone is responsible for the way it looks today. I looked at a dozen or so photographs of other Elans and I could not find one with similar panel fit lines. I just got an uneasy feeling and that is that. I am not willing to spend the cost of an air fare to disprove that feeling. I'll just wait for the next car to come along. I don't know if the car has had a bump or not, carfax indicates not. If it hasn't I suggest the seller takes a day and adjusts the panels.

The next car has already come along and it's a very rare.
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby GavT » Fri 18.07.2008, 16:06

tweetdriver63 wrote: Anyway, I don't think it's the bumper he's concerned about. It looks like it's the part that runs between the headlight/bonnet, and the bumper that could be out of alignment a little. Notice the space between it and the bumper on the left side of the picture, and the lack of space on that side between it and the headlight cover.

That's the front topshell, if I'm not mistaken. Is there adjusment there to get it lined up better?

We see the same thing
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 18.07.2008, 16:10

Just a curiosity, where is that car (the red one that's the subject of this post) located? Some info might bring out somebody who knows the car and might be able to shed some light.

I'm with you. If you don't feel right about it, don't buy it. What's the "very rare" one that you've found? I don't think there are very many on the US market right now.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby GavT » Fri 18.07.2008, 17:10

The red car is the one that is posted on cars.com for $11.7K in CA. The seller gave me a good price but I just could not get pass the panel fit. The timing belt & water pump are also the originals. I will write a report from my conversation with the seller and post the photographs he sent me. The car was just not for me but maybe for some else on the forum.

I'm reluctant to say where the 'rare' one is just right now, as negotiations are at a very early stage. Sorry.
GavT
Tinkerer

Postby Enright » Sat 19.07.2008, 10:15

GavT wrote:... but I just could not get pass the panel fit.

Do you mean the gap between the front bumper and the clamshell?
It's easily adjusted.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Return to Elan Buying Help