Help with Elan Purchase in Chicago

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Help with Elan Purchase in Chicago

Postby andyreid » Fri 30.01.2009, 16:30

I am looking at buying an Elan M100 and live i the Chicago area. I need to know if there are any owners here in Chicagoland that I coud see if I fit in their cars. I am 6'4" and think I do but sort of remember that the steering wheel was a bit in the way.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Andy Reid
Senior Editor
Classic Motorsports magazine
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
andyreid
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Re: Help with Elan Purchase in Chicago

Postby Jackonicko » Fri 30.01.2009, 18:26

Andy,

The wheel is adjustable, of course, and can easily be replaced with a smaller Elise wheel.

An older, higher mileage Elan is likely to have a lower seat (as mine had before I renewed the diaphragm). This can make it better suited to a very tall driver. (I'm 6 ft 1 in, and a taut 'higher' seat is fine for me). Good luck.
Jackonicko

Postby lotos » Fri 30.01.2009, 18:38

The wheel is adjustable?

Andy - your profile says San Fran ....
lotos
God

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 30.01.2009, 18:55

Hey Andy,
Just to clarify Federal cars do not have adjustable steering columns. Only the ROW cars as they do not have airbags like the Fed version. 6'4" will fit but you will need to do two things to get the most compfort out of it. 1) remove the rear spacers from under the seat. 2) replace the airbag wheel with one from an Elise. The second is alittle trickier as the hub adapters aren't made anymore. You may however find one from Nardi from an EU source. Where in Chicago do you live? I was in Skoakie for awhile but my car is in San Francisco.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 30.01.2009, 21:49

Of course, if you replace the wheel, you won't have the airbag any more. Personally, I would do that, since I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the airbag in my last car. There are a few aftermarket wheel with airbags, but they're very, very expensive, and there's the Elise airbag wheel too, if you're looking to stay with a Lotus one, but I'm not sure they would make much difference in the space, just in the appearance.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby nitroman » Sat 31.01.2009, 04:59

andyreid wrote:I am looking at buying an Elan M100 and live i the Chicago area. I need to know if there are any owners here in Chicagoland that I coud see if I fit in their cars. I am 6'4" and think I do but sort of remember that the steering wheel was a bit in the way.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Andy, if business brings you to the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine office a tic north of Orlando, I'd be happy to meet you in Daytona so you could take a drive. My white car has all the 'height tricks' done to it, including the extremely rare option of an extended seat track (for more legroom).
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Return to Elan Buying Help