expert advice needed please

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

expert advice needed please

Postby KarenW » Mon 19.10.2009, 14:57

Hello everyone

This is my first posting and I am hoping that one or more of you Lotus Elan enthusiasts will be kind enough to help me. My husband has wanted a Lotus Elan for as long as I can remember. Mortgage, kids, all the normal family stuff prevented him ever actually indulging himself in owning one and now that the kids are grown and the house paid for he has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I have tried to convince him that he should now say sod the expense and have one just for the sheer fun of it but he is being thoughtful and sensible saying that he does not want to spend money I might need.
I should say here that I am more than capable of looking after myself and he is being over-cautious. So...I have decided that if possible I am going to buy him one for Christmas. Problem is that I know next to nothing about cars of any description apart from how to drive one. The ideal would be to find a 1990 - 1995 model in the £6-8,000 price range that is in good condition and before I start searching I would be so grateful if someone could give me a few pointers. I do have a mechanic friend who has offered to come and check the car over if I am lucky enough to find one but I don't want to be chasing around the country looking at Elans that have problems that an expert would immediately spot but I would not.
Thanks in advance for any help.
KarenW

Re: expert advice needed please

Postby Monty » Mon 19.10.2009, 15:22

Karen, welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear off your Husbands ill health.

If you state the Area were you live then maybe one of the members can help you out when looking for an Elan. With your price range you should get an Excellent SE, for that matter you could get an S2.

There`s a buyers guide here
viewforum.php?f=1
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby scottswatches » Mon 19.10.2009, 15:30

Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear about the circumstances in which bring you here, but you are inthe right place to find the best advice. I'll let other more qualified explain what to watch for, and what your budget will get, but i'll help where I can.

First, money is not a problem. If your husband is really concerned just point out that buying a used sportscar is not like buying a new Renault - you will normally get back almost all of your money if you decide to sell. This could be in 6 months or ten years, and you might even make money on a good car.

The second is a question of location. Where are you based and one of us could happily bring our cars round and show you what to look for, then take your husband out for a spin.

I've only had mine for six months but this site has been invaluable for help. I'd be glad to repay some of that help in this situation. But mine is not for sale!
Scott.

Do I buy another Elan or go for something older and different?
scottswatches
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Mon 19.10.2009, 15:36

Hi Karen,

As Monty says, a location would help.

However, due to the comparative rarity of the cars you may feel that you are prepared to travel to get the 'right one'.

Some people have a preference in colour and/or specification, others just want the best they can afford.

There are cars available from £2K to £12K (with others outside that range!), but the budget you specify should get you a good, usable one without any major problems (either now or for the future).

There are a few for sale on this forum, some of which are 'known' good cars, others I don't personally know, but others will.

Generally, there are people on here who will offer opinions on anything from colours they like to modifications they would look for - but the final decision is yours.

Certainly if you wish to consider any cars local to me, I would be happy to go for a look and offer an opinion (for what that may be worth!) to save you unnecessary travelling. This is something that I have done for other people, and many others on here (all over the country) are prepared to do the same. Some will have already been viewed, and opinions held, so it may be worth considering a 'short list' and asking if anyone has any knowledge.

There is a registry held by Gazza (for the S2) and Surfboardfiller (for the SE), and anything you want to know about an NA, then Clemo is who i would ask.

Good luck with your search.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Nige » Mon 19.10.2009, 16:31

Karen welcome, I too am sorry to hear of the circumstances that bring you to LEC. Again I would repeat what others have said and a location for you would help., if there are LEC members near you then they may be able to look at a car for you, with you and with your mechanic friend. Your budget will buy you a good car and as has been said you are not likely to suffer depreciation on it. If we can help you find the car you are looking for please keep asking.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby theelanman » Mon 19.10.2009, 18:12

Karen
welcome......as the above have said we're sorry to hear about your husbands condition....
as for buying and looking for a car....I can certainly tell you that any member on here would be willing and able to help you with your search....
certainly if you let us know where you are we can focus our resources in order to help you.....
for your price range you shoudl be able to pick a good well looked after car....all you need to do is pick our colour :)
some people have prefered colours...and on the flip side the ones they really dont like....its all a personal choice so no-one is offended...
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Tannerman » Tue 20.10.2009, 08:59

Hi Karen,
Really sorry to hear about your husband...I would like to echo Daves comments below and if you see any in or around the Doncaster area (within 20 miles of DN5) then i would be happy to give my view before you and your mechanic come to see it for the final inspection.
I think buying your husband an Elan for christmas is a great idea and good luck with it.

Cheers

john

Certainly if you wish to consider any cars local to me, I would be happy to go for a look and offer an opinion (for what that may be worth!) to save you unnecessary travelling. This is something that I have done for other people, and many others on here (all over the country) are prepared to do the same. Some will have already been viewed, and opinions held, so it may be worth considering a 'short list' and asking if anyone has any knowledge.
Lotus Elan M100 1990 (red
VW Tiguan R Line
Ford Transit Jumbo
Toyota Celica 25 th anniversary model
Tannerman
Enthusiast

Postby KarenW » Tue 20.10.2009, 12:38

To all replies
I am actually overwhelmed by the response to my post. It is so very kind of you all to take the time to offer advice and I am really grateful.

We live in Oxford and as far as I am aware there are no actual Lotus Dealers near to us (closest I could find was Salisbury and they don't have any Elans at the moment). As far as colour goes I don't think he is that bothered but I know he likes British racing green and also red. I want to try and keep the purchase a secret so that I can actually surprise him with it on Christmas morning so whilst it would be brilliant to actually see one in close quarters and be able to chat face to face it would give the game away.

I had a really nice PM from someone who mentioned that Clemo is a very trustworthy seller and that he may have one coming up for sale. My husband is on a clinical trial at the moment and is in the hospital for treatment most days up to just before Christmas so I should be able to spend some time on the search and still keep the secret. I have noted and will read up on all your great advice and will also check in regularly and try my best not to ask too many daft questions.

Thanks again for your brillant and hugely appreciated help.
Kind regards
Karen
KarenW

Postby theelanman » Tue 20.10.2009, 17:37

secret rendezvous in deserted car parks.... :shock:
you'll need to escape to look at a car presumably before you buy so if we can help.....
Im sure what we can do is find them online for you....send you the link...or if you find one you like the look of.....if you like then someone can go and have a look to see if its worth a second look...ie with you.......that way its should weed out the 'dogs' and leave you with decent cars to inspect and choose from......
sound like a plan???
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Specky » Tue 20.10.2009, 18:51

Hi KarenW and welcome,

The nearest Lotus garage I think would be Swindon, but they never have any Elans in.

If you see a white Elan knocking round Oxford with a really handsome bloke behind the wheel... someones pinched my car... :lol:

I'm normally passing Oxford daily, so don't forget to give a big wave and flash those lights.

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby The Ref » Tue 20.10.2009, 20:32

Evening Karen

I am so sorry to here your sad news please pass on my best wishes to your husband and your self of course.

I sold my car to a garage (pure lotus) in May of this year, she is a 1990 se with 68000 on the clock in BGR. she had a full mot and is in an outstanding condition. as far as i know he still has it in stock. it has bags of info with it most mot's (only 3 missing) lots of invoices with the srevice book full of stamps most are lotus and all follow on, the car had a "C" service ( the main one) last year. it just may be what you are after.

If you need or would like anyone to give a car the once over in the north east please give me a call as i would gladly help you out.

Billy

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
The Ref
Fanatic

Postby Exbury » Wed 21.10.2009, 00:47

Karen,

Echoing the sentiments of all, I am sorry to hear the news. With respects to the Lotus Elan I can certainly say that the choice is a great choice, I have never been in any other car that makes me grin just to sit in it - each and every time (never mind drive it)! I have never regretted a moment in this car and I hope your husband gets to drive this amazing vehicle. Any experienced member here will certainly know what to look for, I just hope someone is closer than me. I have heard rumours of a privately owned yellow SE near Burford, but this was a while ago and may have been sold - also wrong colour, but happy to try to re-establish the lead on this if interested.

Best of luck in your search,

Jason
'Who is to know what is possible until one has attempted the impossible and suceeded'
Exbury
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Thu 22.10.2009, 17:03

I'll start with one.....

anyone know this car......???

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/45091

cheers
G
theelanman

Postby Gazza » Thu 22.10.2009, 17:29

Was for sale in November last year with the same mileage at £6,750. Also did not have a engine sticker in place :?

Think it was for sale in France as well at the time.

Gazza
S2 Midnight Blue #660
Hayward & Scott 2.5" exhaust.
Red AP brakes & Nitron adjustable suspension.
SOLD

TVR Tamora in Montreal Blue
Gazza
God

Postby theelanman » Thu 22.10.2009, 17:34

Gazza wrote:Was for sale in November last year with the same mileage at £6,750. Also did not have a engine sticker in place :?

Think it was for sale in France as well at the time.

Gazza

thats not on the S2 register then......
what do we think???......cat c....cat d......????
sounding dodgey already???
theelanman

Postby bobbrown » Sat 24.10.2009, 10:09

Here's red one http://www.gatwicksportsandprestigecars ... asp?ID=208 any one any history on the car?
reg M15 DRL number 375
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby The Ref » Sat 24.10.2009, 10:16

they could have presented it better :o " it has a head light out" :shock:
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
The Ref
Fanatic

Postby bobbrown » Sat 24.10.2009, 10:21

or just be on dipped beam
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
bobbrown
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 24.10.2009, 10:27

Apart from the headlights (good negotiating point..... they're not available now :wink: ) it looks like a tidy car. We haven't got it on the register (highly likely as it's only had two owners) so well spotted Bob.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby bobbrown » Sat 24.10.2009, 10:37

If it's not on the register then may be some one like chris.t could give it the once over and get the details for the register as he is not that far away.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Next

Return to Elan Buying Help