Need some help buying?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Need some help buying?

Postby heighing » Thu 20.05.2010, 20:08

I initially was going to buy a Elise, but when I went to have a look at one I saw this.

http://www.jct600.co.uk/cars/used-cars/ ... n-16074409

I realise its a long shot as there's no reg, but does anybody know anything about this car?

Thanks
heighing

Re: Need some help buying?

Postby Jackonicko » Thu 20.05.2010, 20:35

Not without the reg, I'm afraid.
Jackonicko

Postby heighing » Thu 20.05.2010, 20:43

Do you know of any good SE Turbos, or S2's for sale?
heighing

Postby Jackonicko » Thu 20.05.2010, 20:53

I do try to keep a beady eye peeled......

If you were looking seriously at the JCT car, then we know your budget.

I've just provisionally sold a much higher mileage, much cheaper car, and I have just bought a much lower mileage, rather cheaper car.

Whereabouts are you located?
Jackonicko

Postby heighing » Thu 20.05.2010, 20:55

I'm in Leeds. I'd prefer to pay more and get a car in decent condition
heighing

Postby DaveB » Thu 20.05.2010, 21:00

I'm sure someone will chip in with more observations, but...

...It's an SE, late-ish, with Federal wheels, upgraded front speakers, a K&N air filter (sticker), what appears to be a stainless pee-shooter, and the cleanest engine bay I have ever seen... !!

... and a LEC sticker in the boot.... someone on here knows something ???

Looks like a good'n' though
Time taken to post a picture on this forum - down to 35 minutes...
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby Jackonicko » Thu 20.05.2010, 21:21

Best of all is to pay less and get a car in better condition, as I have just done......

Or is it important to you to pay the extra and buy from a dealer?

Are you worried about colour?
Jackonicko

Postby heighing » Thu 20.05.2010, 21:25

Nope not precious about a dealer; just want a good car.

I'd ideally like that blue but would consider any.
heighing

Postby Jackonicko » Thu 20.05.2010, 21:55

Superficially at least, that one looks very good indeed. Federal wheels are very rare in the UK, and combine the bigger size you'd expect in an S2 with the Stevens type look you get with an SE.

You have to drive them to know, though, as they vary so much, and you can get great looking Elans with poorly performing engines.
Jackonicko

Postby RayD » Thu 20.05.2010, 22:33

If you want a run out in one your welcome to come and look at mine, I'm only 40 minutes away.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby heighing » Fri 21.05.2010, 09:56

I've got the reg of the car now H836 APN.

Any help
heighing

Postby Jackonicko » Fri 21.05.2010, 10:18

I'll have a look to see if I have any details of a previous sale/ad.

H means that it's an early one (not a VERY early one, as there are lots of Gs). I haven't checked, but it may have opera glass headlights rather than single pivot (before VIN 6300)
It may have the earlier fuel tank breather system which could give breathing problems if the vehicle was parked on a slope with a full tank of fuel (before VIN 6634)
It may have the older suspension set up with a rear suspension anti-lift angle of 5°. This was changed to 2.5°, (at VIN 6644) reducing the tendency of the rear end to lift under braking.

None of these features would put me off the car.
Jackonicko

Postby rip » Fri 21.05.2010, 11:15

The ad says 1991, so a newer H. Mine is a 1990 H & has pod headlights (operas were replaced because of their unreliability & complexity), so I expect this will have pod headlights too.
The leather on the driving seat looks a little loose. This may just be because it has popped out of the underside securing slot (I can see it has done this from one of the pics). These can easily be tucked back in & I often do just that to mine as I drive along!
It has not got the perspex reg plate cover as fitted to the early SEs. A later plinth could easily have been fitted though.

As Dave suggests, that LEC logo in the boot suggests that if you can get the reg, someone on here will probably know the car.

As a PB owner myself, I think that colour looks better for real than in a photo.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Jackonicko » Fri 21.05.2010, 11:58

rip wrote:As a PB owner myself, I think that colour looks better for real than in a photo.

As an owner of two PB Elans, the first of which I bought without considering colour at all, I whole-heartedly agree!

It's a much nicer colour than you at first realise - looking good in bright or dull conditions, and suiting the Elan's lines.
Jackonicko

Return to Elan Buying Help