an Élan in the Netherlands

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

an Élan in the Netherlands

Postby Giniw » Thu 07.06.2012, 22:14

Hello,
Although I am French, I have seen an advertisement for an Élan for sale in Velddrie/Netherlands.
The price seems to be interesting, and according to the few low resolution photos provided the car seems to be OK. And it passed the APK (of course I need more photos, including the rear wishbones, engine bay, etc ^^)
So I wrote an email (in English) about a week ago to the professional seller but didn't have any answer yet, even though I think it's still for sale since the advertisement has been slightly changed today (or maybe yesterday at most).
Is there anyone here on LEC living in Velddrie who could take a glance at it? Or maybe just a phone call to the seller since I only speak French and a little English ... It would be just to avoid me the 400km/250mi trip if it doesn't worth it or if it's already sold ... :/
Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by Giniw on Fri 22.06.2012, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Giniw
God

Re: an Élan in the Netherlands

Postby HJ2 » Fri 08.06.2012, 08:16

Sure!
Please PB me
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 08.06.2012, 10:27

=)
Just sent the private message.
This is so very nice of you! Thanks a lot!!
Giniw
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 08.06.2012, 13:00

As a coincidence i am in the neighbourhood in a couple of hours.
If i can make it in time, i"ll drop them a visit and bring my camera!

Regards
Henk-Jan
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 08.06.2012, 15:32

Wow, that would be fantastic! oO
:bowdown:
Giniw
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 08.06.2012, 21:39

Hi Ginwin,

I drove an hour extra to get to this:
http://link.marktplaats.nl/561132627

The salesmen seemed like a nice, genuine bloke and was happy to answer all questions. He took all the time for me. He did not answer your mail because he had too many email dissapointments. The Company looked OK to me. They do Mercedes only. I got the keys and could try everything and start it. Later on I could use their bridge to check things below. However, I was officially at work so I did not have all day for you :-D I did NOT test drive this car.

More important: The car! Here is what I could find in the short time I had.

The bad:
* Exhaust is a goner...
* Front disks / pads need replacement, but pedal is hard
* The usual but easy to fix oil leak (CAS or CAM bung)
* Drivers seat is worn and in need of TLC
* A very ingenious alternative for the heater valve was implemented (but looks okay)
* Hood looks OK, but webbing needs replacement
* Front lip Spoiler is missing
* PAS / Alternator belts need changing
* Condition of Timing belt is unknown, I would replace it!
* Original wheels not included or available
* Clutch pedal is a little high. Easy adjustable... hopefully
* Weather strip on one door is damaged / missing (could not see under the tape) Windows work, but not very smooth (sticky) At least one escutcheon is broken

The good:
* Car looks completely stock, good paint
* Front end is resprayed due to heavy chipping
* Car looks normally maintained, all fluids clean and up to the correct level
* Car started instantly from cold
* Car looked clean from below. It had a Dinitrol or waxoil treatment which made it hard to examine the rear Wishbones. They looked fine, but I did see some rust flakes. No holes, I tapped with the key, but no 'beyond repair' spots
* No heavy damage below, just the occasional scrapes
* Lot's of profile left on the tires
* Besides the drivers seat and the doors, the interior looks quite good.
* No CEL light came up

Seals: The ones I looked at (not all) looked good, but the compound looked somewhat different from what I know. If it was repaired DYI... it was done very well and I want to learn how as well!
I could not test / see the state of the turbo.

All in all: Perhaps not top of the bill, but I have seen a lot of cars here in worse condition. The price seems right for this particular car for the Netherlands If you don't have a whole lot of money to spend, I would take a look if I were you. Brake, belts and cam-belt are important to sort immediately however.

But... I am not you, and this is how I see things. You'll have to decide for yourself, no guaranteed correct info above :poke: :twisted:

Greetings
Henk-Jan
Last edited by HJ2 on Sat 09.06.2012, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 08.06.2012, 23:23

Just a short answer for now => Thank you _sooooo much_ :bowdown: :-D
Giniw
God

Postby RayD » Sat 09.06.2012, 08:09

Well done Henk,

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby HJ2 » Sat 09.06.2012, 08:11

HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Sun 10.06.2012, 00:33

Thank you again for all ... It is really, really nice of you! Seriously, I didn't even expect that much help... :D

The bad:
* Exhaust is a goner...

What is the typical price for a new exhaust?
I have seen that kind of stainless steel on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0348594965
Is it good or do you have any advice?

As far as I know, the front disks are rather cheap (see http://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-2-disques- ... 98-2734-gt)
Do you think those should be avoided?

Is it just a matter of replacing a few seals? (are those seals available?)

To what extent is it worn? (I have sent another email to the seller to ask for a photo ^^)

A very ingenious alternative for the heater valve was implemented (but looks okay)
I am not aware of a typical problem with those on the Élan. Why is there an alternative heater valve?

What do you call the webbing exactly? That: http://www.scopek.co.uk/images/24%20Hood%20webbing%20detail%201.jpg?Is it possible to replace them easily? (they are still available? What would be the price?)

Is it still available? Any idea for the price?

Does anyone know the price for the parts? I just found new ones on ebay, but of course I don't know when they were manufactured ... Are those still available from Lotus?

It's a pity but I still can change them later ^^

Do you mean the clutch could be worn and could need (expensive?) servicing?

* Weather strip on one door is damaged / missing (could not see under the tape)
Is is still available from Lotus? Is it still available or maybe third parties one would be OK?
Do you think it is possible that water entered the door? :/

Windows work, but not very smooth (sticky)
What could cause it to be not smooth? The bad condition weather strips maybe?

At least one escutcheon is broken
I think an escutcheon is that black round plastic part around the key hole, isn't it? Are they still available?

(I wondered whether I should create a new topic to ask informations about the spare parts, please just tell me if you think I should do that ;))
Giniw
God

Postby tigerdog » Sun 10.06.2012, 04:44

Every question in your list can be answered by looking at the wiki and forums. If I had time and patience, I'd chase them down for you but that would deprive you of all the fun you can have reading the forum and learning about our cars. :-D For exhaust, search "Piper" and "Peco" and look at the Exhaust section. Heater valves are a known weak spot and there are several alternatives including all-plastic replacements that won't corrode like the originals. "retrimming" is the magic word for seat refurbishment. Belts including timing belt should be replaced unless you have absolute documentation of recent replacement. Wheel offset is enough different that it might impact handling but there has been a tonne of discussion of alternatives, from modified Mini wheels to custom-made replacements, in the Wheels and Tyres section. You will often find original wheels for sale here, too. Weatherstripping is addressed in several posts in the "doors and windows" section, and the wiki has a photograpic discussion of stripping down the door to fix slow or broken windows. In my car it was due to 20+ years of crud and dried-out grease in the channels. The problem could possibly also be worn sliding bits. Escutcheons are the plastic trim pieces behind the inside door release handles. Lucky time to need one; check out the this thread and add your name on the last page, to buy a set of these custom-manufactured replacements.

Besides it being a truly marvelous and unique automobile, this is why I selected an Elan: seems like any problem you may have has already been discussed and dealt with by someone here, with the solution shared to everyone's benefit. LEC is a marvelous bit of cyberspace.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 10.06.2012, 09:40

:agree:
HJ2
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 10.06.2012, 11:29

Lots of answers in the above posts (or at least guides to where to find the answers), but as I'm more helpful than Doug - but perhaps not as helpful as Henk-Jan!- I'll tell you how i got (or constantly get) round some of the "problems" listed.....

I have seen that kind of stainless steel on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0348594965
Is it good or do you have any advice?

The exhaust you link to is a PECO one - good quality and a good item. PIPER also do a selection of options for the car, and is the one that I have fitted. Neither one should be a problem to get in/to France.

As far as I know, the front disks are rather cheap (see http://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-2-disques- ... 98-2734-gt)
Do you think those should be avoided?

The ones you list will do the job just fine - try a search on "APEC DSK518" as that is the part number for the standard disk - they usually cost about £30 a pair in UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CALIBRA-2-0-85KW-90-97-APEC-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-DSK518-/300702502184. There are a lot of options on the pad friction material to use, I am using Ferodo DS2500 at he moment, but Mintex racing are good. Standard pads are okay for just road use, and are Opel Ascona/Astra/Cavalier ones - something like these

Is it just a matter of replacing a few seals? (are those seals available?)

It is a simple 'O' ring of the right size (which I can't remember) - best to use VITON material as it is less prone to distortion with oil - should be only a couple of Euros

To what extent is it worn? (I have sent another email to the seller to ask for a photo ^^)

cant help with that one without seeing it, but there are many leather dyes/restorers on the market - or new seat covers can be bought at a price

A very ingenious alternative for the heater valve was implemented (but looks okay)

I am not aware of a typical problem with those on the Élan. Why is there an alternative heater valve?

A plastic unit from a Volvo (740??) is a straight replacement, and not very expensive

What do you call the webbing exactly? That: http://www.scopek.co.uk/images/24%20Hoo ... 201.jpg?Is it possible to replace them easily? (they are still available? What would be the price?)

There is a full write up by Ray Dodd about how he changed his. I used 2" wide elastic webbing when i did mine, and it was a straightforward job - about £6

Is it still available? Any idea for the price?

The original supplier still exists and will sell you the correct part for about 15 Euros (Walker Rubber, part number A4022) - see this thread for full details

Does anyone know the price for the parts? I just found new ones on ebay, but of course I don't know when they were manufactured ... Are those still available from Lotus?

The PAS and Altenator belts can be bought from any local motor factor - they should be a stock item and are not unique to the elan. The timing belt is best got from Rock Auto in USA (http://www.rockauto.com - search for Isuzu Impulse RS, 1991 - it is the best place to get everything needed for the job, and even with postage it is much cheaper than getting Lotus parts in Europe

It's a pity but I still can change them later ^^

prices vary, but a set of OE wheels can be bought for a reasonable price second hand. beware of some people trying to sell them for hundreds of pounds - a set should be about £100 - maybe more if in very good condition and/or with good tyres.

Do you mean the clutch could be worn and could need (expensive?) servicing?

cant comment on this individual car, but if it only needs adjusting it is a very easy job with just a nut on the gearbox end of the cable to turn

* Weather strip on one door is damaged / missing (could not see under the tape)

Is is still available from Lotus? Is it still available or maybe third parties one would be OK?
Do you think it is possible that water entered the door? :/

If it is the rubber strip between the window and the doorframe it can be replaced with aftermarket items - many different profiles exist which can be modified to work well on the elan

Windows work, but not very smooth (sticky)

What could cause it to be not smooth? The bad condition weather strips maybe?

maybe the motors and/or cables need lublicating, but more likely it will be the plastic 'sliders' which run in the window frame - if lubrication doesn't work, new ones are quite cheap

At least one escutcheon is broken

I think an escutcheon is that black round plastic part around the key hole, isn't it? Are they still available?

It's the part inside the door, around the door handle - see this thread

(I wondered whether I should create a new topic to ask informations about the spare parts, please just tell me if you think I should do that ;))

This is as good a place as any for finding the answers you need - sometimes if no-one can help you may need to post a specific question in a specific thread, but keeping it all in one place makes sense :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Giniw » Tue 12.06.2012, 11:17

Thanks soooooooooooo much to all of you :D

I will schedule a visit as soon as I get the confirmation from Lotus that they will be able to give me a European Certificate of Conformity if I buy the car.
Giniw
God

Postby HJ2 » Tue 12.06.2012, 11:36

Let me know if i'll have to make a telephone call
Or does he responds to emails yet? (i don't think so...)
HJ2
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 22.06.2012, 08:49

So.... Are you the new proud owner or not?
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 22.06.2012, 14:39

aaaaaaaaand ............ YES I AM \o/
Thanks a lot HJ2!
I will go again to The Netherland next week to pick it up on Friday 29th :)

:burnout:
Giniw
God

Postby Rice crispy » Sat 23.06.2012, 22:44

Congratulations they are great cars :D
Rice crispy
God

Postby Giniw » Thu 28.06.2012, 22:42

:)
I am going to pick it up tomorrow \o/
:clap:
Giniw
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 01.07.2012, 15:11

I suspect that you will be placing some pictures of a freshly washed Elan today ? :poke: :lol:
HJ2
God

Next

Return to Elan Buying Help