an Élan in the Netherlands

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: an Élan in the Netherlands

Postby Giniw » Sat 07.07.2012, 21:52

Hiya Everyone =)
Well I didn't drive it a lot so far except of course the 400km/250mi to drive it home! It seems to work like a charm, even if there might be a slight strange noise when the engine is cold (I will have to record it to ask you all whether it's normal or not)
I received the European CoC from Lotus a couple of days ago, and I will bring the car to get the French MOT/APK equivalent on Monday. Then, I will hopefully be able to get my French number plates ^^
Also, I am waiting for the MOT listing to pass an order for the timing belt because I might need other parts if they think something else should be modified ...
All in all I am very happy with my new car and can't wait to use it daily! ^^
Giniw
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 08.07.2012, 09:09

You should change the topic to: An Elan in France! :lol:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Tue 10.07.2012, 22:36

:lol: yes indeed ;)

The car passed the French MOT (aka "contrôle technique") without any problem, except that the front headlights are tuned a little too low for some reason.
I expect to have my French number plates before the end of the week ... I hope ^^"

Also, it seems that the right front pod light motor bushing is worn, it shows the typical symptoms explained on the LEC wiki. I will have to buy the kit for both. I am glad it's only around $20!
Giniw
God

Postby Giniw » Tue 10.07.2012, 23:49

dapinky wrote: * PAS / Alternator belts need changing
* Condition of Timing belt is unknown, I would replace it!

Does anyone know the price for the parts? I just found new ones on ebay, but of course I don't know when they were manufactured ... Are those still available from Lotus?

The PAS and Altenator belts can be bought from any local motor factor - they should be a stock item and are not unique to the elan. The timing belt is best got from Rock Auto in USA (http://www.rockauto.com - search for Isuzu Impulse RS, 1991 - it is the best place to get everything needed for the job, and even with postage it is much cheaper than getting Lotus parts in Europe

I just looked at the rockauto.com website and I think I have found a few different timing belts at a very low price: from 5 to 21 euros!? Have I missed something or is it just normal?

Also, there is the Impulse and the Impulse NATO, which one should I select? I think it is the Impulse one since it's the only one which feature a turbocharged version, isn't it?
So here is the selection for the engine section of the 1991 turbocharged Impulse: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ame,Engine
Do you confirm I selected the good engine?
Thanks in advance!

PS: I switched the website to the English language and so I just found the "Timing Belt Component Kit". Is it all I need to change for the timing belt servicing? (with or without the water pump? How do I know whether mine should be replaced, knowing that my engine mileage is only 66000km/41010mi? Well... I think I will need to have a look at the dedicated section on the forum tomorrow ... Good night :D )
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,5759
Giniw
God

Postby Rice crispy » Wed 11.07.2012, 13:04

I would replace all the belts and the pump unless you have documentation to show they were done recently. much cheaper than a rebuild if it snaps :shock:
Rice crispy
God

Postby HJ2 » Wed 11.07.2012, 13:31

Belts, pumps, fluids and filters to be exact ;-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Wed 11.07.2012, 14:57

pumpS? So there is more than the water pump to change as soon as possible?
Giniw
God

Previous

Return to Elan Buying Help