viewing my first elan...

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

viewing my first elan...

Postby hwg » Tue 02.07.2013, 19:44

Hi,
I'm going to see this car tomorrow, and would appreciate any pointers!

It will be the first time i see one up-close, so I dont really know what to expect.
so what do you helpful lot think of it? I'm looking for a daily drive, but my drive to work isn't very far.
I've printed out the "buying guide" thing, and plan to take it along.

also, what is the implication of a top-engine overhaul?
being particularly mechanically minded, this makes me concerned that the "bottom-engine" will need an overhaul soon aswell :D !
ok, maybe not, but is it a sign of other potential problems, or is it an indicator of reliability?

Thanks, Harry
hwg

Re: viewing my first elan...

Postby wayne » Tue 02.07.2013, 20:19

Just my thoughts. I am not an expert......

I suspect the top end overhaul was a Head Gasket failure which is quite common. Providing it was done well and all associated parts were changed I do not think it is much of an issue. Not heard of many problems with the bottom end.

Mileage is kind of high but if it has good service history it may turn out to be a nice car. Paintwork looks very good around the front bumper. Maybe had a re-spray at some time?? A new trim technology hood (and hopefully seals) a few years ago sounds very nice (probably a £1000 upgrade). !!

Although. It will probably still leak.

Seats are probably going to be tired looking but covers can be replaced... Although are not cheap.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby epipete » Tue 02.07.2013, 20:23

wayne wrote:Just my thoughts. I am not an expert......

I suspect the top end overhaul was a Head Gasket failure which is quite common. Providing it was done well and all associated parts were changed I do not think it is much of an issue. Not heard of many problems with the bottom end.

Mileage is kind of high but if it has good service history it may turn out to be a nice car. Paintwork looks very good around the front bumper. Maybe had a re-spray at some time?? A new trim technology hood (and hopefully seals) a few years ago sounds very nice (probably a £1000 upgrade). !!

Although. It will probably still leak.

Seats are probably going to be tired looking but covers can be replaced... Although are not cheap.

:agree: But I understand that Lakeside are generally regarded as being better than competent so that should be alright!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby hatters » Wed 03.07.2013, 00:11

The car looks OK to me and it's a nice quite rare colour .It's a pity you can't get some one to go with you who knows what to look for .The Achilles heel of the M100 is the window regulators and motors they can be quite troublesome make sure both the windows work correctly ,that will be a bonus ,Make sure the hazard warning switch works they can also be a problem and are no longer available .It wont do any harm to go and give it a test drive and make sure all the running gear is sound .it's always a good idea to let the engine run when the car is stationary so you can check the cooling fans ,have a good look at them too because they can suffer from corrosion .When you are driving it make sure the boost gauge works when you get the revs up because it can also suffer from the waste gate being seized .When you have checked it all over and are satisfied go ahead and buy it because the price would appear to be OK. By the way the boost gauge will only work when the vehicle is being driven

If you buy it ,there are lots of guys on here who will give you the right advice to keep it on the road

Enjoy it ,you wont be disappointed
hatters
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Wed 03.07.2013, 00:27

The boost will not work on this car it's a n/a no turbo the phone code 01903 is a Worthing code I live In Worthing I am working tomorrow what time are you looking at the car if I can I don't mind looking at it with you I will pm you my number so you can ring me if you want. Alan
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby hatters » Wed 03.07.2013, 00:36

alan e wrote:The boost will not work on this car it's a n/a no turbo the phone code 01903 is a Worthing code I live In Worthing I am working tomorrow what time are you looking at the car if I can I don't mind looking at it with you I will pm you my number so you can ring me if you want. Alan

So it it is ,sorry about that I never noticed
hatters
Fanatic

Postby epipete » Wed 03.07.2013, 01:53

alan e wrote:The boost will not work on this car it's a n/a no turbo the phone code 01903 is a Worthing code I live In Worthing I am working tomorrow what time are you looking at the car if I can I don't mind looking at it with you I will pm you my number so you can ring me if you want. Alan

That's interesting; it's very late so maybe a stupid question but if it has no turbo does it still have a boost gauge and if so why, and if not what is there instead? :bonk:

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby muley » Wed 03.07.2013, 07:42

It looks like an SE to me - badge and gauge.

It is confusing that the pistonheads profile states that it is normally aspirated.

Penny to a quid it's a turbo'd SE.

If it is an NA I'll buy it (still got an itch to scratch!)

BTW look like a cracking car - if Lakeside have been looking after it all the better.

Re the seats, they can be easily replaced with Honda S2000 seats so no worries there.

Rgds

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby hwg » Wed 03.07.2013, 08:01

Thanks Alan! pm sent...

re the Turbo, I think the insurance quote I got identified it as a Turbo? it also says its an SE in the ad. maybe its spin language for "turbo is broken"
hwg

Postby muley » Wed 03.07.2013, 08:14

hwg wrote:

Thanks Alan! pm sent...

re the Turbo, I think the insurance quote I got identified it as a Turbo? it also says its an SE in the ad. maybe its spin language for "turbo is broken"

I think that is a negative thought - if it is 'broken' you'll easily spot that!

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
muley

Postby theelanman » Wed 03.07.2013, 08:44

I think it could be advertiser error.....

surprised its not a 2.0l and got ABS......

not unusual for pistonheads

:bonk:
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby texas2201 » Wed 03.07.2013, 18:43

When I put mine on PH a couple of days ago it defaulted to NA and I had to manually change it
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 03.07.2013, 21:37

muley wrote:If it is an NA I'll buy it (still got an itch to scratch!)

Could have got you a great N/A a year ago Jim. Last owner was Dave from Prestwick and it was formerly Clemo's. Say no more ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby alan e » Wed 03.07.2013, 21:40

Went to have a look at the car tonight Hatters how long have you had the gift of E S P you was right it did have a turbo and it worked can you now let me know numbers for this weeks lottery by a pm
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby hatters » Wed 03.07.2013, 23:16

alan e wrote:Went to have a look at the car tonight Hatters how long have you had the gift of E S P you was right it did have a turbo and it worked can you now let me know numbers for this weeks lottery by a pm

The big question is DID YOU BUY IT ??
hatters
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Thu 04.07.2013, 00:16

Not me but HWG did :burnout:
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby muley » Thu 04.07.2013, 00:49

Excellent!
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
muley

Postby hwg » Tue 09.07.2013, 00:00

alan e wrote:Not me but HWG did :burnout:

Yes I did! picker her up on the Saturday, Ray was very sad to see his "Ellie" go.

the the car looked very well used, but looked after. the interior was worn as you'd expect, but the hood seems to fit well and is new. great fun!

Alan, I cant thank you enough for coming along to view it with me :cheers: I owe you a drink!
he gave the car a proper look over, and was very honest about its condition. it was doubly helpful, as it gave me confidence that the seller was being honest about the car. both He and his wife and Alan were all great people!

some observations for anyone who might be in my position:

speed bumps! AARRRGGGHH. plan your route home carefully. I haven't scraped the underside yet, but I'm having to take the long way round in the residential area where I live to avoid the bigger ones! (time to move)
this car likes to be driven! its a fairly bumpy ride toddling along at 20 or 30 mph, but once the speed picks up on the open road its very comfortable, and just feels at home in the corners. I haven't scared myself yet, but i think its just around the...
and finally, being just shy of 6 foot, i don't consider myself particularly tall, but i could do with the seat going back and inch more than it does.
sitting up straight so that my legs aren't to bent for the pedals means that the top of the windscreen obscures my view of the road ahead, and the steering wheel hides the rev counter. sitting down a bit is better driving position, but feels cramped in the foot well.

anyway, I couldn't be happier!
hwg

Postby Peter_W » Tue 09.07.2013, 06:58

Congratulations on your acquisition!

hwg wrote:...
and finally, being just shy of 6 foot, i don't consider myself particularly tall, but i could do with the seat going back and inch more than it does.
sitting up straight so that my legs aren't to bent for the pedals means that the top of the windscreen obscures my view of the road ahead, and the steering wheel hides the rev counter. sitting down a bit is better driving position, but feels cramped in the foot well...

There are a couple things you can do to help with the view out the front that have been covered in various LEC threads in the past.

You can lower the seat about an inch by removing the spacers. If I remember correctly, the rear door-side spacer is slightly taller than the other three, so you would need to put a large washer(s) at that corner to make up the difference. It's also been suggested to put a washer(s) at each corner so that the now lowered seat rails are raised back just enough so that they are not "high centering" on the carpet beneath them. You would need to get shorter mounting bolts, which should be rated equally to the originals as the two inboard bolts double as body to chassis bolts.

Doing the "sun-visor delete" provides about another inch of obstruction removal.

I've done both of the above to very good effect.
"Those who know don't have the words to tell
And the ones with the words don't know too well"
Peter_W
Fanatic

Postby rip » Tue 09.07.2013, 10:08

hwg wrote: the steering wheel hides the rev counter.

Refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.
A 'new dash' project is too major me for me to take on though.

I would prefer to see a bigger 300 degree rev counter instead of a small 100 degree one shoved in 'over there somewhere for good measure'. I think a car of this type deserves better. It came from the GM parts bin: my Calibra has the same dash & I hate it in that too.
1990 SE
rip
God

Return to Elan Buying Help