Looking for my old car

Elans wanted within North America

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Looking for my old car

Postby 1984urq » Thu 24.09.2009, 01:53

Hi All,
I am looking for my old car that my father and I owned together 1991 Pac Blue car with a exhaust on it. had 16" USA wheel with colored lotus emblem centercaps, When we sold the car it had Pirelli P700z's on it, the seat risers were cut down in the rear and left stock height in the front, It had a wood momo shift knob on it. Also the turbo heatshield cover was polished to a fairly high shine. We attended a few LOG's with this car and usually won first place in the concours and I usually won the autocross with this car as well. One of the last years we atteneded (cayuhoga falls, Ohio) we autocrossed it with yellow euro spec wheels (which I still posses) I placed in the Elan class for autocross this year. My intention is to buy this car back and restore it to the way it was when we owned and present it back to my father for his enjoyment. The car was sold by us in NJ to a gentleman from PA and from there we lost track of the car. I am looking for any Pac Blue owners to contact me in regards to their own car. I know there are approx 16 pac blue cars in the USA, so getting some info on this car should not be that impossible ( at least I hope) And even if the car is not currently for sale I am more than happy to wait till it shows itself and purchase it back then. I hope to hear from its current owner soon

Colin Miller
www.csquaredautomotive.com
973-647-9440
1984urq

Re: Looking for my old car

Postby tigerdog » Thu 24.09.2009, 23:16

Hi Colin!

You could start by checking the North American M100 Elan Registry thread. Don Sladek recently posted an updated copy of the list. Maybe your old car's whereabouts are listed there. Welcome (or welcome back?) to LEC.

Doug
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby 1984urq » Fri 25.09.2009, 01:30

doug,
thanks for the welcome I did check the list so far I do not actually see a Pac Blue car on the list or maybe I am not seeing the whole list. I sent a message to Don asking him if he knows about the car or of its where abouts. I left a message for Arnie Johnson @ Lotus USA this afternoon hoping that he may be able to get me the VIN on the car as unfortunately neither my father nor I have kept this info. So we will see if he can shed some light on that aspect!. I am looking forward to having a lotus again it has been far to long !

talk to you soon

Colin
1984urq

Postby tigerdog » Fri 25.09.2009, 01:55

Any chance you might have back copies of the vehicle registration paperwork? That usually has the VIN. Alternately, if you know the old license plate number, some states (noteably California) allow you to look up smog test history by license plate. The displayed info also includes the VIN, I think. If the car is still in California, you might even get some idea of its whereabouts from where the location of the smog test station. Good luck in your search!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 25.09.2009, 15:05

Old insurance paperwork would yield the VIN also, and if you don't have that, you can contact the insurance company and see if they have it in their records. If you can come up with the VIN, you can run a carfax and maybe track down it's current location.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby 1984urq » Sat 26.09.2009, 03:13

the only record we have of the car, are the trophies I won at LOG events and a few pictures I have of the car. everything went to the 2nd owner, all the paperwork. I have also looked into located the car thru law enforcement agencies etc but since sept 11th you cant chase a car or a person down like you used to be able to LOL. SO basically all I have is that this is a Pac Blue car with a few very identifiable features as I previously mentioned in my first post. A very frustrating point to start from (at least from my perspective) But anyway I really do appreciate all the ideas. I will keep the faith!

Colin
1984urq

Postby lotos » Sat 26.09.2009, 03:28

The insurance company is a good idea - they would definitely have it in their records. I also have gone to the DMV and given them my name, address (and ID of course) and they gave me VIN of a previously owned vehicle. (1963 Rambler American convertible) That's worth a try, and has nothing to do with stalking anyone :shock:
lotos
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 26.09.2009, 04:28

That's the next thing I was going to say, Randy. I won a judgement against a guy I hired to do some work on my house last year, and went to the courthouse (where our tag office is), where they took his name and address and their computer brought up every vehicle he had ever titled or registered in Mississippi.

So, if you're still living in the same place (state), you should be able to do that too.

My insurance company can tell me every car I've ever insured with them, and I've been with them for more than 25 years, and we're up to vehicles 32-35 right now.

Another possibility is whatever shop you had do work on it. They may still have it in their records.

I didn't catch it but how many years has it been since your dad sold it?
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby Specky » Sat 26.09.2009, 08:09

I like a challenge....

I would start with Hethel,

you said you sold it to the "2nd owner" that make you the 1st and Lotus keep an archive of who the sold it to...

Would you of sold the car to someone in Norristown, Pennsylvania 19147?

you could try Philadelphia Area Lotus Society (PALS)

or Post/PM on this thread:-

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f110/ph ... ing-68703/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhillyLotus/

http://www.lotuscarclub.org/localchapters.php

You could work out pottential VIN's, and then do a internet search.

Do you know the persons name? facebook,freindsreunited... etc

Which LOG's did you attend, someone may have a picture with the VIN in it.

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby lotos » Sat 26.09.2009, 15:13

tweetdriver63 wrote:I've been with them for more than 25 years, and we're up to vehicles 32-35 right now.

Nice! I always say if you don't average cars>years you're not doing something right! So what's the list consist of? Anything bizarre or weird on there?

But the records definitely exist as we've both mentioned - so long as you aren't wearing a dark trench coat and breathing heavy they'll be happy to assist you with finding your old VINs :)
lotos
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 26.09.2009, 16:10

lotos wrote:
tweetdriver63 wrote:I've been with them for more than 25 years, and we're up to vehicles 32-35 right now.

Nice! I always say if you don't average cars>years you're not doing something right! So what's the list consist of? Anything bizarre or weird on there?

But the records definitely exist as we've both mentioned - so long as you aren't wearing a dark trench coat and breathing heavy they'll be happy to assist you with finding your old VINs :)

Nothing really bizarre or weird. Over the years I've had 4 VW bugs (real ones with the engine in the back), one was a Baja version, which I thought was very cool and could literally go anywhere. I had two mid-70's Toyota Celicas. The first wasn't air conditioned, so I replaced it with an identical one that was when the Air Force moved me to Texas right after college. That one threw a rod while I was in pilot training, and I replaced it with the first of 2 Porsche 914s (I love those cars. Until I got the Lotus, I would have said nothing handles like them. I'll still say nothing corners as flat as they do, unless it's a supercar. I posted a pic of one of them last year.). My wife had a Pontiac Firebird with a V-a-million when we got married. I think you could pull a house off its foundation with that car. The rest are just a typical assortment.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby 1984urq » Sat 26.09.2009, 21:41

Specky,
this is a distinct possibility - Would you of sold the car to someone in Norristown, Pennsylvania 19147?

I actually reached out to Kyle Kaulback, I used to work on his 61 FF for him when I was in the "lotus business" I have not checked to see if he has replied back yet. I will do that. Good Idea on the insurance company I will look into that as well
Do you know of a Pac Blue car in Norristown PA? As for LOG's we did - Leesburg VA, Connecticut, Poconos PA, Atlanta GA, Cayahuga OH, Most of these LOG's we placed in the top 3 positions for concours and for Autocross as well.

One last detail I forgot about the car was that the lower section of the body (below the mold line/character line) the car was repainted as per lotus USA by a person of there recommendation whom I may add did a far better job @ painting than the factory did :shock: Any way if you could contact the Norristown car if you have a way and see if that car was in fact purchased out of northern NJ, that would be excellent

thanks again guys

Colin

PS Formula @ singapore tomorrow AM on speedvision
1984urq

Postby donsladek » Wed 30.09.2009, 02:39

Colin,

I've only got info on one Pacific Blue Elan in North America, VIN 28507. I was somewhat interested in this car before I bought mine. It was located in Seattle in December 2005, and I believe it was purchased by Hegg from Salt Lake City here on LEC. He moved up to a newer Lotus, and was trying to sell this Elan in August 08.

I did an Experian check on the VIN when I was looking. The first entry was in Hickory NC in January '97, a license renewal. Next entry was September '98, again in Hickory , a duplicate title was issued at ~32700 miles. After that, the car headed NW to Portland and was titled there in October '98, and went to auction in December 2005 with 50K miles.

Doesn't sound like this was your car, but if you need more info on this one, PM me and I'll forward what I have.

Good luck with your hunt!
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Wed 30.09.2009, 02:51

blimey...
this seems like a tough job......
in the uk its a search on the plate or vin number through DVLA....
seems like in the states it gets a new number depending on where it is ..and the insurance bods keep an eye out..........hope you have some good luck finding it......
do you have anything in the us where you can put the vin number in and get it to tell you which town/county its in?
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby donsladek » Wed 30.09.2009, 02:53

Colin,

Never found any info on this one in Connecticut
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby esprit888 » Wed 30.09.2009, 17:04

oops, should have read the whole thread, never mind :oops:
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby 1984urq » Sat 03.10.2009, 04:04

Don,
I would say that the pac blue car 28507 is not mine as the mileage is to low for the dates in relation to my car. I have tracked down the insurance agent but his company is no longer in business but he is still in the ins business. So I will see what he can bring to the table. I am helping the NJ state police with an ongoing investigation so I will see if they can help me since I am helping them, who knows maybe they will say yes! Any way thanks to everyone for the input i really do appreciate it .

Colin
1984urq

Postby Specky » Sat 03.10.2009, 09:13

Have you emailed Hethel archives yet?

It would at least narrow the window

13 Pacs, 13 VINS, Randy has the last FED VIN

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 04:02

Ok sent e-mailto Arnie Johnson @ lotus USA. I will see what this brings me next step Hethel.

Colin
1984urq

Postby esprit888 » Mon 05.10.2009, 06:50

1984urq wrote:Ok sent e-mailto Arnie Johnson @ lotus USA. I will see what this brings me next step Hethel.

Colin

I could be wrong but i dont think Arnie is there anymore, and hasnt been for some time.
esprit888
Fanatic

Next

Return to North America Cars - Wanted