Looking for my old car

Elans wanted within North America

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Looking for my old car

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 14:12

esprit888 wrote:
1984urq wrote:Ok sent e-mailto Arnie Johnson @ lotus USA. I will see what this brings me next step Hethel.

Colin

I could be wrong but i dont think Arnie is there anymore, and hasnt been for some time.

Esprit888,
Arnie actually is back @ lotus usa so the world can start to rotate again LOL. After the "seagull management team" (read as: make a bunch of useless noise and s**t all over everything !!) left Arnie was re-instated at Lotus USA. I heard from him this morning in an e-mail and he is going to find the VIN for me so I can further the search! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Lotus in the family again I cant wait !!!!
So I want to say a special thank you to Lotus cars usa and to Arnie, And to LEC and everyone here. I mean how many car company CEO's (or whatever his title is) would lend a hand to simply finding a VIN for a 18 year old car? That is truly what I love about these cars is the group of people surrounding them is really second to none. Any way I will keep the LEC community posted on the progress of the search.

Colin
1984urq

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 16:39

GOOD NEWS!

Arnie came thru he found the original file on the car and I have the VIN although LOTUS in england and also lotus USA has the car listed as a silver car So that 13 number that was thrown around before i believe needs to be adjusted. I have a 2nd on that adjustment as well both my father and I recall while eating dinner with Arnie @ the leesburg Va LOG that he said there were 16 Pac blue cars imported. So any how Don S I am forwarding on the info on the car to see what you can find on it.

Colin
1984urq

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 05.10.2009, 16:52

1984urq wrote:GOOD NEWS!

Arnie came thru he found the original file on the car and I have the VIN although LOTUS in england and also lotus USA has the car listed as a silver car So that 13 number that was thrown around before i believe needs to be adjusted. I have a 2nd on that adjustment as well both my father and I recall while eating dinner with Arnie @ the leesburg Va LOG that he said there were 16 Pac blue cars imported. So any how Don S I am forwarding on the info on the car to see what you can find on it.

Colin

With the VIN, I would immediately run a carfax report. That will tell you when/where it was most recently titled/registered etc.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby esprit888 » Mon 05.10.2009, 17:11

That is VERY good news, Arnie was the main reason we had such great after sales ( and i mean a long time after sales :D ) support in the U.S & Canada. Arnie has always been a Lotus guy, great to have him back :D

1984urq wrote:
esprit888 wrote:
1984urq wrote:Ok sent e-mailto Arnie Johnson @ lotus USA. I will see what this brings me next step Hethel.

Colin

I could be wrong but i dont think Arnie is there anymore, and hasnt been for some time.

Esprit888,
Arnie actually is back @ lotus usa so the world can start to rotate again LOL. After the "seagull management team" (read as: make a bunch of useless noise and s**t all over everything !!) left Arnie was re-instated at Lotus USA. I heard from him this morning in an e-mail and he is going to find the VIN for me so I can further the search! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Lotus in the family again I cant wait !!!!
So I want to say a special thank you to Lotus cars usa and to Arnie, And to LEC and everyone here. I mean how many car company CEO's (or whatever his title is) would lend a hand to simply finding a VIN for a 18 year old car? That is truly what I love about these cars is the group of people surrounding them is really second to none. Any way I will keep the LEC community posted on the progress of the search.

Colin
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 18:01

Copy on the carfax, the guys name is Scott Aguilar, he is in the archives here in may or march of 2001 making commentary about the cost of insurance. i have tracked him as far as his job and left a voice mail for him. Hopefully he will contact me back.

Colin
1984urq

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 18:15

ok new update Scott sold the car to some one in watkins glen possibly a professor named Richard.... So if any one has any info on Richard in watkins glen NY

Colin
1984urq

Postby 1984urq » Mon 05.10.2009, 19:03

ok new update found her in NY upstate here is a pic as she was in 2005

http://www.lotusowners.com/Lotus%20Memb ... pg_jpg.jpg

I have left a message with the current owner hopefully he gets back to me

C
1984urq

Postby lotos » Mon 05.10.2009, 19:23

Well a smaller piece of good news - you're entitled to a Carfax refund as the report didn't include the sale and was thus inaccurate. :-D

Good luck! Making great strides so far!
lotos
God

Postby Doug » Mon 05.10.2009, 20:31

I remember Scott's car well; he took great care of it and I would have loved to buy it if it weren't across the country. I still have never seen a PBlue Elan in the states, but have seen plenty in England!
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby 1984urq » Tue 06.10.2009, 01:50

All right guys GREAT NEWS, I spoke to the current owner and I have been promised first right of refusal when she goes up for sale. Sounds like she is being well cared for and loved.
Again I want to say thanks to the whole LEC community for the assistance that you guys have rendered.

Colin
1984urq

Postby tigerdog » Wed 07.10.2009, 00:03

Colin, this is great news indeed. Can you share the trail that led you to the current owner? Also, would the owner object to including his car in the North American M100 registry?

I have mixed emotions about your "first right of refusal" status - your objective is so absolutely heartwarming, it seems like you should just be able to buy the car now. Maybe the current owner is tired of that silly old blue color and would consider a lovely silver or BRG instead? Both are currently for sale in the US and appear to be stock, well cared for examples.

Glad you were able to complete your quest.

Doug
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby 1984urq » Wed 07.10.2009, 14:45

Doug,
Yes I had hoped he would want to give up the "smurfmobile" for a proper colored Lotus (BRG) but no dice he love's her. So all in all I cannot complain.
the process of events went as follows
Spurred on by a fellow lotus enthusiast (pat dennis of florida) it was suggested that I try to hunt down one of my fathers old lotus's so loving all things from the past I thought I would try to chase down his Europa, after chasing thru to the last known owner it was reported by him that car was sold to a collector in japan, after the last USA owner bottomed the car out severly over a bridge @ highly elevated speeds and did some heavy damage. So a car in Japan to far for my wallet to chase on to the M100 which my father and I owned together.
first off was the posting here on LEC, then I e-mailed with Arnie Johnson @ lotus USA and he was able to supply me with the vin which we had foolishly not hung on to.
@ this point I enlisted the help of a few friends, Walter Irvine from Skip Barber Racing school, who enlisted his friend Robert Konick formerly of HRM,
thru some great contacts that Robert had, and some internet style legwork on his part and mine, we tracked the car to the third owner in PA that was Scott (he was on this site as well). I spoke on the phone with Scott and got the skinny on the old girl and he also told me that she had moved on onto the care of another person in the upstate NY region, so quickly I pulled up the LOONY site and found her in the pictures section. I left a voice mail for the owner, while Robert was communicating with Tony Vaccaro who heads up the LOONY club and he reached out to Rick the current owner and also informed him of my quest. Later that evening I got a phone call from Rick the current owner. I actually have to say I am very happy to hear that she is in loving hands @ this time. Also that I am so pleased to see that there is a kind of an unwritten code of conduct that takes place between Lotus owners/enthusiasts involving the sharing of info personal/public and that we all recognize that generally if one of us is looking for someone or something it is usually for "good" purposes and carries no malice. Having been involved with german cars for a long time as a business, I have to tell that kind of cooperation in a group of enthusiasts is rare very rare.

Back to the Elan, So Rick the current owner has given me first right of refusal should he ever sell her but to be honest I am not holding my breath I think he is in love :) , we had a great conversation which I informed him of a few things he did not know about the car (that she was a log winner for concours and had seen some autocross time and won them as well) and he had said that a roll bar was installed when he first bought it for safety purposes.

Once again thru the help of some great people and a wonderful community of owners/enthusiasts all is well

thanks
Colin
1984urq

Previous

Return to North America Cars - Wanted