Jacking Up the Car - Advice

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Jacking Up the Car - Advice

Postby lolaman » Fri 10.03.2017, 23:35

Thanks for your input, I used the jacking points and it is perfectly stable. On inspection my car is in good condition apart from the sump which has had a battering, SJ has them advertised at £170 + vat. Has anyone out there got a good second hand sump for sale at a more reasonable price?

I'm delighted with the 2 post lift it has transformed my garaging, I also intend using it as way of doubling my storage space.
lolaman

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.03.2017, 00:03

Saltire wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:Lucky you. Glad you've got room for it. I use a scissor lift that gets Elan quite high and positioned correctly allows it to seesaw as required to get the end I want to work on much higher.
Stands flat against the wall when not being used too.

Pardon me for asking, but where did you get it from?

Not at all, isn't that was this forum is for - sharing information? ebay .. £400. Much easier that trying to get Elan on ramps and does the wife's ST170 Focus too..

MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.03.2017, 00:29

Rusty Wishbone wrote:I have a different opinion from others here about lifting on the bolts. I believe that you should lift on the bolts, not around them. My opinion comes from looking at the engineering drawings where I think that the strength is greatest through the bolts. Of course, I might be wrong, but I have never had a problem. I use four metal blocks under the lifting points. Wide rubber blocks will spread the load away from the bolt, and bear on the fibreglass which might get damaged.

You've misunderstood - the holes in the rubber pucks do nothing more than replicate the locating hole in the OE jack so it's just like having it on 4 jacks. The scissor lift winds up from a central helical screw on one side but you can't see what's happening on the other side. By having holes in the rubber they are going to stay in exactly the right place as the jack takes the load.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.03.2017, 00:37

also .... when not in use I just remove the two plinths ( 30 seconds) and stand the jack against a single brick section of the garage between two structural pillars so virtually no intrusion on garage space..

20170310_230000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Giniw » Sat 11.03.2017, 01:15

And it has been painted Pacific Blue too apparently :D
Last edited by Giniw on Sat 11.03.2017, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.03.2017, 04:48

Giniw wrote:An it has been painted Pacific Blue too apparently :D

That's how it came. Elan's Pacific Blue is metallic paint, the scissor jack isn't but colour is quite close, though it wouldn't work as a touch-up paint.. :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Sat 11.03.2017, 09:24

lotusflasherman wrote:
Giniw wrote:An it has been painted Pacific Blue too apparently :D

That's how it came. Elan's Pacific Blue is metallic paint, the scissor jack isn't but colour is quite close, though it wouldn't work as a touch-up paint.. :lol:

Ooooh . . . Iwantoneofthose. Where's Santa when you need him?
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Previous

Return to Chassis & Steering