Corroded Steering pipes

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Corroded Steering pipes

Postby Steve A » Fri 12.05.2017, 11:52

:? My power steering pipe just above the crank pulley is looking very corroded :(
Is it just a case of popping down to the local pipe squeezer to knock me up a new one,
as they did with my oil cooler pipes ?
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Re: Corroded Steering pipes

Postby Simon_P » Fri 12.05.2017, 14:04

In theory yes. But you need to know if your local pipe squeezer can make-up metal pipes, cos its the metal bit that has gone and your oil cooler pipes it was the rubber bit.

try them and see - if not try a plumber (who will have the benders etc) for the metal bits and then go to the squeezer to put the rubber bits on the rubber bits.

Failing that i think SJ have had them remade
Last edited by Simon_P on Fri 12.05.2017, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_P
God

Postby Steve A » Fri 12.05.2017, 14:17

Simon_P wrote:In theory yes. But you need to know if your local pipe squeezer can make-up metal pipes, cos its the metal bit that has gone and your oil cooler pipes it was the rubber bit.

try them and see - if not try a plumber (who will have the benders etc) for the metal bits and the squeezer for the rubber bits.

Failing that i think SJ have had then remade

SJ do them for £146 :shock:
The bends are critical so if I have them remade they have to be spot on.
Steve A
God

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 12.05.2017, 15:32

Steve
If it is the combined metal and rubber pipe that is looking dodgy, I think this is the low pressure feed pipe E100H0040F (?) from reservoir to pump. You can in theory replace it with a rubber tubing from end to end provided it doesn't foul any moving parts. If I remember rightly it is simply clamped onto the reservoir with a jubilee clip or "clip" and similar at the pump end. However this may flatten at the bends so restricting flow, hence the metal parts.

Or with suitable diameter ready made bent steel pipe fittings, a long rubber pipe cut to lengths and a box-full of jubilee clips you could make your own...............
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Steve A » Fri 12.05.2017, 16:15

Fredjohn wrote:Steve
If it is the combined metal and rubber pipe that is looking dodgy, I think this is the low pressure feed pipe E100H0040F (?) from reservoir to pump. You can in theory replace it with a rubber tubing from end to end provided it doesn't foul any moving parts. If I remember rightly it is simply clamped onto the reservoir with a jubilee clip or "clip" and similar at the pump end. However this may flatten at the bends so restricting flow, hence the metal parts.

Or with suitable diameter ready made bent steel pipe fittings, a long rubber pipe cut to lengths and a box-full of jubilee clips you could make your own...............

It is that very pipe.
Because it goes some distance weaving through the engine bay I could end up having one made only to find it won't fit. :?
I think I'll have a word with the chap that did my oil pipes.
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Sat 13.05.2017, 17:50

:? Well I had a chat with the pipe man and he wasn't keen on reproducing a perfect replica of my pipework :roll:

I now have the pipe off the car and it doesn't look any prettier :(

To be fair there's quiet a lot of bending in several planes so it would take some time to perfect, and it's not like he'll have a jig to check it on.

Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Sat 13.05.2017, 17:53

Fredjohn wrote:Steve

This could be plan B or maybe C :wink:
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 13.05.2017, 18:42

Whilst I fully appreciate that the OE design will be the best fit - even allowing for the fact that nowt really fits these cars as they are all a bit different.....

..... I thought about making one up from copper plumbing pipes/fittings, but was advised against it as copper will become 'case hardened' over time, and could rupture. That said, it wouldn't be a fatal failure, just a bit inconvenient and messy (not like an oil pipe which could damage the engine)......

....I then thought that a single rubber hose could do the job, especially if it were high pressure hose, wrapped in stainless braiding (Aeroquip type).....

.... eventually, i removed it, cleaned it, painted it and replaced it - and still not failed yet.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Steve A » Sun 14.05.2017, 17:58

dapinky wrote:.... eventually, i removed it, cleaned it, painted it and replaced it - and still not failed yet.

I think your right (again) Dave :agree:
Once I scraped the barnacles off the pipe it didn't look too bad, especially taking into account it's only a low pressure pipe.
I will give it a coat of rust stopper, then red oxide followed by something silver in colour :wink:
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 14.05.2017, 18:12

I worked on the thought process that it is continually filled with oil (admittedly, proper steering stuff, but not water based) so the corrosion was likely to be from the outside, so a clean and repaint would preserve it a bit.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Postby par » Sun 14.05.2017, 21:08

:agree:

That is exactly the approach I took with mine:-

par
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Tue 16.05.2017, 18:28

:-D Could it be the same pipework ?
It's amazing what you can achieve , half an hour getting the rust off and three coats to prevent it coming back

Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Tue 16.05.2017, 18:42

Good effort, Steve :bowdown:

and I bet that if you got a 'new' one which has been in storage for the last 25 years it probably wouldn't be in the same condition.
Dave

dapinky

Postby alan e » Tue 16.05.2017, 18:48

No that is a new one
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 16.05.2017, 19:23

dapinky wrote:Good effort, Steve :bowdown:

and I bet that if you got a 'new' one which has been in storage for the last 25 years it probably wouldn't be in the same condition.

A new old one would probably be more corroded internally.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby clemo » Wed 17.05.2017, 10:02

Very tidy job ..
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Return to Chassis & Steering