Heavy Steering - Collapsed steering column?

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Heavy Steering - Collapsed steering column?

Postby elnaught » Wed 28.06.2017, 10:04

After a rather heavy handed (failed) attempt to remove the steering wheel to investigate a horn fault I now find I have very heavy steering which does note centre easily.

I have seen posts regarding collapsed steering columns, is this the most likely cause and if so is it fixable without a new column?

Also any ideas on a puller for the steering wheel, its been on for nearly 28 years and apparently likes where it is, horn only works when on lock, I assume this is something to do with the plates behind the wheel!?

Cheers Leigh
elnaught

Re: Heavy Steering - Collapsed steering column?

Postby par » Wed 28.06.2017, 10:52

It may be that you have disturbed the position on a worn universal joint where the column attaches to the steering rack when trying to remove the wheel. I had something similar when I changed the steering wheel on mine - the steering became very heavy and notchy. It did free up a bit through use but changing the universal joint resolved it completely.

It is a cheap part and readily available, I think it was under £10 for a Land Rover part. It is a pig of a job though, if I was to do it again I would consider removing the drivers seat for better access.
par
Fanatic

Postby elnaught » Wed 28.06.2017, 12:11

Cheers,

I've checked out the parts, for that money i'll give it a go (seat out!).
elnaught

Postby dapinky » Wed 28.06.2017, 13:27

Hi Leigh,

I agree that the first thing to look at is the UJ.....

.... there is a write-up on here somewhere about the way to do it, but I found that it *can* be done in about half an hour.

It worked for me - and the most awkward bit was trying to line up the screws for the steering cowling afterwards.

Basically, remove the plastic cowling, lower steering wheel adjustment to lowest setting, that means you can see and access the 2 bolts which hold the steering column to the dashboard - loosen them but do not remove them completely (They are on slotted holes). Then you need to get down into the footwell and remove the carpet from round the steering column, and the rubber cover to the floor.

Now you have (limited) access to everything you need - loosen, but don't yet remove, the top and bottom bolt of the UJ joint (you need to turn the steering to get best access at various times). Mark the orientation of the joint on the column and rack (I use tippex). Undo and remove the 2 bolts which hold the column to the bulkhead, then remove the bolts for the UJ and manoevre the column up and away enough to remove the joint - it will swing and pivot around the top bolts enough to get it out.

Transfer the tippex markings to the new joint, and refit in the same place - do everything up - job done!

As for a steering wheel puller, I made one up out of a flat steel bar (quite substantial!) with a hole in the middle. This fits through the steering wheel (behind the rim, but in front of the hub). Use a suitable nut and bolt through the hole (nut on the hub side of the bar) - turn the nut whilst holding the bolt - it will bear on the column and after a while there will be a loud bang as the splines come free - Keep the nut on the end of the column, but loosened if you want it to not hit you in the face :lol: You may need to apply force to the bolt, then tap the hub with a small hammer - it is a tight fit (as you now have realised).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Artaban » Wed 28.06.2017, 21:04

Leigh,
Replacing the UJ would be my first course of action as well. Its what I did though it didn't solve the problem for me. When you say your attempt was a bit heavy handed what does that mean? The top of the steering column has a cast carrier that carries a bearing and the horn push pin and spring. I'm wondering if you have damaged that because my bearing was shot and I had no trouble removing the steering wheel so I'm just wondering if your attempt to remove the wheel finally caused the bearing to seize up. Its what I'd look at next after replacing the UJ. I'd probably take the car to a local mechanic to get the wheel off and give them a tenner for their trouble; they do it all the time.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby elnaught » Mon 03.07.2017, 21:39

Hi,

The carrier was fine but I have since put a puller on and the end result is a hair line crack in the cast carrier, it still has not moved on the splines! one way or another it will have to come off now! does anyone know where I can get my hands on a replacement boss? :banghead:

Cheers
elnaught

Postby elnaught » Mon 17.07.2017, 23:04

Update;

I have now changed the steering column, wheel, boss and UJ, the steering is still heavy, can now only be the rack? has anyone got any thoughts on what it may be or what the rack is like to take out?

Cheers Leigh
elnaught

Return to Chassis & Steering