Steering Rack Track Rod Inner Ball Joints

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: Steering Rack Track Rod Inner Ball Joints

Postby Simon_P » Mon 17.06.2019, 07:52

Phil, the thread which is a stud and the cup are the same piece of metal no amount of tightening it up has any effect on the ball joint. It isn't like the old type where the cup has an internal thread and screws on to a base thereby reducing the clearance.

The arrowed part is just a locking tab to stop the ball joint unscrewing from the end of the rack.
Simon_P
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 17.06.2019, 10:44

Simon_P wrote:Phil, the thread which is a stud and the cup are the same piece of metal no amount of tightening it up has any effect on the ball joint. It isn't like the old type where the cup has an internal thread and screws on to a base thereby reducing the clearance.

The arrowed part is just a locking tab to stop the ball joint unscrewing from the end of the rack.

Thanks for the photo you emailed... the ones that are adjustable have a 'male' external thread on the end of the rack. Your rack has a 'female' internal thread so search on ' Inner tie rod'. LEMFÖRDER and MOOG make original / replacements.
Plenty available.. just have to find the right length or go slightly longer and cut it down if the outer ball joint bottoms out before you get the correct track setting
for example ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-Mk4-2-2D-Inner-Rack-End-Left-or-Right-08-to-15-Tie-Rod-Joint-1433271/332356561401
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Mon 17.06.2019, 13:17

Hi Phil,
I'll post the picture later.
Yes, already checked the online catalogues for dimensions and contacted Lemforder before posting.

I can find the right length but not with the correct thread. The trouble with cutting it down is that it is a rolled thread so there isn't any metal to make the thread longer.

There must be an off the shelf part available and they aren't expensive.
Simon_P
God

Previous

Return to Chassis & Steering