Gaz susspension

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Gaz susspension

Postby Dazm100 » Tue 06.08.2019, 20:54

any feedback on Gaz coilovers? Thinking of swapping from the standard suspension .but not wanting to spoil the handling hand comfort..
Dazm100

Re: Gaz susspension

Postby Steve A » Wed 07.08.2019, 06:05

:? What's wrong with your standard suspension ? broken leaking or just a bit rusty ?
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Dazm100 » Wed 07.08.2019, 07:19

Nothing wrong with it. Car has done approx 77k. So maybe a refresh is needed?
Dazm100

Postby Steve A » Wed 07.08.2019, 08:34

You can spend a lot of money on suspension and if you lucky it will be as good as the standard set up.
Unless you intend to track it then I would save your pennies.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 07.08.2019, 10:27

There are a couple of ways of looking at this -

1) If it aint broke........
2) replacing 'worn' units
3) 'uprating' the setup

As Steve says, you won't find an 'off the shelf' replacement which is likely to be as good/better without spending big money (Nitron setup).....

So, if yours is okay, I'd probably leave it alone......

.... that said, i replaced mine with AVO units as they had done 130K miles and were 25 years old. I noticed an improvement, but how much was down to the shocks and how much down to springs and how much down to new bushes all round I couldn't say (I did the whole lot at the same time).

Whether it is any 'better' than a good OE setup is debatable, but I wouldn't think so - but as OE stuff is NLA, it's a bit of a moot point.

I can't comment on GAZ units, but have used them on other cars with okay results.....personally, I keep clear of Protech units due to some bad experiences, but others seem to think they are okay...... but I do like AVO units (and the aftersales service is excellent - 4 units completely rebuilt in 5 days for £100 (including postage time).)

One thing to note, is that if you are fitting adjustable units, start off with the lowest setting and work up if you need to - but the softest setting is closest to OE, so unless you like to drive fast everywhere, or do track work, you will find it most comfortable on the lower settings.... they have been made to offer increased performance, not decreased performance, so there is no 'softer' than OE adjustment on them. It is easy to assume that the best setting is 'somewhere in the middle of the range' but that isn't the case. (I can't comment on the Nitrons as I couldn't justify the cost, but those who have fitted them really like them).

If you do happen to come across a set of OE shocks/springs bear in mind that different units were fitted to NA/SE/FED cars, and that there is a higher chance that people are selling 'new' Fed ones as there was a lot left at the factory after production ended.... they will fit and work, but will make the front end sit slightly higher due to the way the weight is built into the USA spec cars (crash structures etc).

That said, even the 'wrong' ones will probably offer some feel of improvement over worn units that are 25-30 years old.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Wed 07.08.2019, 17:10

At 77k its not very worn - unless it is broken don't try to fix it, most of the parts available will make the suspension too harsh... and then you'll wish you hadn't.
Unless it has been apart recently or built properly, you are likely to need top ball joints as the bolts rust in them.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 13.08.2019, 20:03

I'm definitely in the Dapinky/Simon camp. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Live with the car a while. Get used to its handling. Get it through an MOT. There will undoubtedly be other things that fail like emissions, brakes etc... But see if it passes on springs/shocks before doing everything at once

And if you're still not satisfied with the handling, give your keys to a competent LEC member to have a :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Chassis & Steering