Front lower ball joint

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Front lower ball joint

Postby Rambo » Tue 25.08.2020, 18:13

Joao - I would go the route of the garage with the big press

PS please tell me you aren't resting the whole weight of the engine and car on a bit of wood resting on top of a 99p Halfords orange plastic bucket :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby TorqueHorse » Tue 25.08.2020, 19:12

Rambo wrote:PS please tell me you aren't resting the whole weight of the engine and car on a bit of wood resting on top of a 99p Halfords orange plastic bucket :shock:

Haha, I saw that too. isn't it just the brake caliper though?
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 25.08.2020, 19:28

TorqueHorse wrote:If you aren't trying to save the bushing, you could try to 'boil' the rubber out, then hacksaw https://vimeo.com/141591718

i already burned the bushing while trying to expand the metal to remove the sleeve lol

alan e wrote:Have you got 2 sockets one wider then the sleeve so it can slid into it and one as wide has the sleeve and some stud to fit thru the sockets and the sleeve, put a washer and a nut on one end and thru the sleeve and socket put a washer and nut the stud and screw down the nut and if you are lucky it will pull the sleeve into the large socket.

i need to read this another 3 times to know exactly what you mean, but i suspect there may be something there worth trying

Rambo wrote:Joao - I would go the route of the garage with the big press

PS please tell me you aren't resting the whole weight of the engine and car on a bit of wood resting on top of a 99p Halfords orange plastic bucket :shock:

B&Q
and that bucket is just holding the brake caliper...
the car is actually on 4 axle stands... and further away from the ground than any SUV out there.... :-D
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 25.08.2020, 20:34

Tuga2112 wrote:
Rambo wrote:Joao - I would go the route of the garage with the big press

B&Q
and that bucket is just holding the brake caliper...
the car is actually on 4 axle stands... and further away from the ground than any SUV out there.... :-D

I thought it probably would be but the photo looked a bit odd. I knew that you would take all safety precautions Joao :wink:

Good luck with the removal, subsequent replacement and satisfactory (2nd) MOT
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby alan e » Tue 25.08.2020, 20:54

alan e wrote:Have you got 2 sockets one wider then the sleeve so it can slid into it and one as wide has the sleeve and some stud to fit thru the sockets and the sleeve, put a washer and a nut on one end and thru the sleeve and socket put a washer and nut the stud and screw down the nut and if you are lucky it will pull the sleeve into the large socket.

i need to read this another 3 times to know exactly what you mean, but i suspect there may be something there worth trying

On Youtube under Removing a bush using two sockets
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 25.08.2020, 23:04

managed to remove the ball joint using the hacksaw trick people mentioned in facebook. fitting the new one was a bit awkawrd because its dificult to line it up correctly and the amount of force needed to tighten the screw is ridiculous, however the metre long breaker bar gave me enough leverage to get the job done in the end.

thanks for the help
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Previous

Return to Chassis & Steering