Side to side pulling at highway speeds

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Side to side pulling at highway speeds

Postby peter canepa » Sun 27.02.2022, 21:12

Front wheel drive torque steer has always been the norm with this car, at low speeds and hard acceleration.
Now though I put new tires on it (Continental Extra Sports) and it pulls to one side upon light throttle. First to the left, then I switched side to side, now to the right? This is a new problem I've never encountered. Any Ideas out there.
Peter Canepa in Calif.
Damm this car looks good
peter canepa
Tinkerer

Re: Side to side pulling at highway speeds

Postby FunElan » Sun 27.02.2022, 21:30

This is all assuming it's been to an alignment shop?
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sun 27.02.2022, 21:35

When was the last time you checked your suspension Peter? ie bushings, CV joints etc... These can be contributory factors too. It's not necessarily all down to tyres.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Mon 28.02.2022, 10:46

As well as the answers above, I'll throw in a cheap & simple thing to try.....

..... what pressure are you running your tyres at? The numbers in the handbook are a great guide, but were set for the OE tyres on the car - with modern technology, the materials behave differently now (flex vs rigidity etc). So I'd try letting a few psi out, than adding a few more and see if any of that helps.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby peter canepa » Mon 28.02.2022, 20:40

Guys, Thanks, for the reply's.
The fact that I switched the new tires side to side and the pulling followed. The suggestion changing tire pressure, that's easy. Alignment, no not recently, usually alignment , the car veers, without acceleration. This only happens with acceleration. The driveshafts, we can inspect. The car is going to the shop those elastic bands need to be replaced.
Damm this car looks good
peter canepa
Tinkerer

Return to Chassis & Steering