Steering lower u/js replacement

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Steering lower u/js replacement

Postby epipete » Fri 11.11.2016, 13:23

Rice crispy wrote:Now noticed I have a water leak somewhere as the expansion tank was empty. Going to pop back for a pressure test as I can see no obvious signs of a leak even when it's up to temperature :(

Can you keep us appraised re your water situation please, I seem to have a similar issue but the loss is over a very long time - months!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby John_W » Fri 11.11.2016, 18:07

Eh?
John_W
Philistine

Postby Rice crispy » Fri 11.11.2016, 23:26

epipete wrote:
Rice crispy wrote:Now noticed I have a water leak somewhere as the expansion tank was empty. Going to pop back for a pressure test as I can see no obvious signs of a leak even when it's up to temperature :(

Can you keep us appraised re your water situation please, I seem to have a similar issue but the loss is over a very long time - months!

Well plot thickens as the pressure test was confusing as I said on the thread. The test didn't show yellow as it's meant to but after it got to temperature it went a bit green apparently. So my guess is I may have a small leak? My mechanic isn't sure as on a pressure test all is ok and if he runs the car it doesn't build excessive pressure. I've replaced the cap and have ordered a new tank from Wayne to be sure it's not either of them. I have done about 40-50 miles since I collected it and replaced the cap and don't think it's lost any but I'm still thinking about getting the head gasket done as a precaution, it's just the circa £1700 bill which is stopping me as I don't have it spare at the moment. Given the time of year it gets used a lot less so I may try a few short journeys and see how it goes. If I do lose some fluid I will most probably bite the bullet and get it done so will have to take it off the road till the new year when I can get it done.
Rice crispy
God

Previous

Return to Chassis & Steering