heavy steering.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

heavy steering.

Postby harvey » Fri 13.06.2014, 21:01

Hi, I would like to make the steering a bit lighter on the elan, as the misses is having trouble getting in and out of the supermarket car park, I have new tyres fitted and also correct pressures, is it just a case of replacing the oil or is there a manual adjustment that can be made. what is the procedure for replacing the oil and should I use a certain grade or type of oil? any ideas appreciated
Harvey
Any fool can make things complicated, but it takes a genius to make things simple.
harvey

Re: heavy steering.

Postby hodge » Sat 14.06.2014, 03:58

I had this problem appear at a cold wet time of year (feb 2014), tried tightening the power steering belt which may've been slack, made a slight difference but not enough. With prospect of an unexpected long journey, desperation caused me to try Lucas power steering stop leak (there was no sign of a leak but I'd heard positive things of it and that it contains additives to ' plump up' seals ) . It's an american product but google will find it available over here on ebay. I got mine from a local 'bullseye' motor factors along with an oil extractor to remove the required amount (355ml) from the power steering reservoir for £20-25, the job took less than 5 minutes with no mess (I was in transit with no change of clothing).
One of the most time and cost effective things I've done on an Elan. Started working pretty much straight away making the car drivable again and the journey possible. Result.
Will probably replace all the power steering fluid soon but so far all is well ( I think it has continued to improve) and it had got to be very heavy.
I bought the car advertised with recent A B and C service which should include fluid replacements, however I've since found many things (some very obvious, essential actually) which hadn't been done, so I really don't know when it was last changed. The steering seemed ok when I bought it tho (april 2011).
Not seen much mention of this product this side of the pond but it worked (and continues too) for me.
hodge
Enthusiast

Postby Majicjohn » Mon 15.08.2016, 09:52

Had my SE for around 2 months now and felt the steering was a bit on the heavy side. Read the post on Lucas power steering stop leak on Saturday ordered from Amazon it arrived yesterday and has transformed the steering.... As you said will give it a full fluid change over winter but now happy that it's not looking as expensive as I thought to sort steering. Thanks for info.
Majicjohn

Postby Majicjohn » Mon 15.08.2016, 10:06

Majicjohn

Return to Chassis & Steering