Steering Wheel Gooey

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Steering Wheel Gooey

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 01.06.2015, 22:04

Never typed "gooey" before. I hope I spelled it right. haha

Anyway, my steering wheel (FED airbag monstrosity) has gotten worn to the point where any moisture, whether rain, sweat, or simple humidity, makes it a bit sticky and black crud rubs off of it onto anything it touches, like my hands or the legs of my trousers. I can't have that.

I'd love to buy a Raid wheel and adapter, but that's in the area of about $700US, plus installation. I don't really have that to spare at the moment.
I can't stand to put one of those steering wheel covers on it that you buy at the auto parts stores. They don't belong in a Lotus.

Is there any low cost solution?
Is there some kind of coating that can be applied to preserve the wheel and prevent further goo?
Is there maybe some kind of wrap that would look good?
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Re: Steering Wheel Gooey

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 01.06.2015, 22:09

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 01.06.2015, 22:36

have you tried a good clean up with something that is designed to clean leather ? or are the Fed steering wheels not leather like the brit ones ?
1991 elan se ongoing project
1991 elan se blue off road project
1994 celica GT4
1994 4Runner
1998 celica SR (off the road)

Small project
Tuga2112
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 01.06.2015, 22:43

tweetdriver63 wrote:Never typed "gooey" before. I hope I spelled it right. haha

Anyway, my steering wheel (FED airbag monstrosity) has gotten worn to the point where any moisture, whether rain, sweat, or simple humidity, makes it a bit sticky and black crud rubs off of it onto anything it touches, like my hands or the legs of my trousers. I can't have that.

I'd love to buy a Raid wheel and adapter, but that's in the area of about $700US, plus installation. I don't really have that to spare at the moment.
I can't stand to put one of those steering wheel covers on it that you buy at the auto parts stores. They don't belong in a Lotus.

Is there any low cost solution?
Is there some kind of coating that can be applied to preserve the wheel and prevent further goo?
Is there maybe some kind of wrap that would look good?

Is it rubber, plastic or leather under the crud? I bought a secondhand car that had crud like that on a leather wheel and I just sat there with a bowl of hot water and a cloth and cleaned off the sweat, dirt and crud. Back to the leather it looked a bit pale where it's normally held so used a bit of black shoe polish to get it back to black and a good rub with a polishing cloth so I didn't get black hands. Came up like new and wasn't slippery - or gooey.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Mon 01.06.2015, 23:04

Acetone or alcohol are good for cleaning general goo off steering wheels - but test on a small area first to ensure it doesn't attack any of the undelying material.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 01.06.2015, 23:39

The FED airbag wheels are not leather. They are fake leather. Some sort of rubber I would guess. Real leather would make the ugly thing almost acceptable.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Mon 01.06.2015, 23:42

GeoffSmith wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79n6Tx_6skc

Thanks for the help, you old wanker! haha
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 01.06.2015, 23:57

tweetdriver63 wrote:The FED airbag wheels are not leather. They are fake leather. Some sort of rubber I would guess. Real leather would make the ugly thing almost acceptable.

Oh, that's a bummer! Rubber has probably perished so not possible to clean up. Think I'd look at a cover just to keep the goo of my hands while I saved up for something decent. Some of the sew on leather covers can look half-decent if you are good at sewing... www.ebay.com/itm/PU-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-With-Hole-Needles-Thread-DIY-BLACK-SIZE-M-/291047797984
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby tweetdriver63 » Tue 02.06.2015, 00:44

lotusflasherman wrote:
tweetdriver63 wrote:The FED airbag wheels are not leather. They are fake leather. Some sort of rubber I would guess. Real leather would make the ugly thing almost acceptable.

Oh, that's a bummer! Rubber has probably perished so not possible to clean up. Think I'd look at a cover just to keep the goo of my hands while I saved up for something decent. Some of the sew on leather covers can look half-decent if you are good at sewing... www.ebay.com/itm/PU-Leather-Steering-Wheel-Cover-With-Hole-Needles-Thread-DIY-BLACK-SIZE-M-/291047797984

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I saw a nice-looking black/red one on Amazon. Also, there's an airbag wheel from a 1990-1992 Pontiac Firebird on ebay for $99 or best offer that looks to be in great shape and should be a direct fit. Just have to use the airbag with the LOTUS on it instead of the one that says Pontiac. I'm assuming since it's the same wheel as ours it will fit, although I know what assuming means. haha
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby tigerdog » Tue 02.06.2015, 06:01

I thought they are wrapped in real leather, not pleather. Mine was in similar shape when I got Smaug. Careful cleaning with, of all things, Method brand kitchen cleaner from Target pulled the crud off. It truly was just hand-mung built up over the years. Once down to leather, a bit of leather dressing kept it nice. Now, I wipe it with a warm, damp terrycloth every so often to keep the mung away. I'd at least try a good clean before swapping wheels. You could also buy a sew-on leather wheel cover. Properly done, you'll cut grooves in your fingers stretching the thread when you put it on, but it will look and feel great.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 02.06.2015, 13:57

tweetdriver63 wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79n6Tx_6skc

Thanks for the help, you old wanker! haha

:-D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby tweetdriver63 » Tue 02.06.2015, 18:36

tigerdog wrote:I thought they are wrapped in real leather, not pleather. Mine was in similar shape when I got Smaug. Careful cleaning with, of all things, Method brand kitchen cleaner from Target pulled the crud off. It truly was just hand-mung built up over the years. Once down to leather, a bit of leather dressing kept it nice. Now, I wipe it with a warm, damp terrycloth every so often to keep the mung away. I'd at least try a good clean before swapping wheels. You could also buy a sew-on leather wheel cover. Properly done, you'll cut grooves in your fingers stretching the thread when you put it on, but it will look and feel great.

I didn't realize any of them had a real leather wheel. Maybe yours was modified by a previous owner? Mine is definitely not real leather. The only difference between mine and other cheap s**t GM wheels of the same era (that look the same, like this one from a Pontiac Firebird) is that it has stitching to make it look like it's leather.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Postby DeanG » Wed 03.06.2015, 01:45

I've had very good luck with leather steering wheel lace on covers. I have used them on several cars. My pickup has had one on it since new (late 2000). It is just starting to be shabby.
DeanG
God

Postby nsr250 » Wed 03.06.2015, 02:18

Chris, there's a guy on r3vlimited.com (BMW forum) that does an incredible job of wrapping wheels in leather. They look better than stock. Check it out. The guys user name is stitched. He's charging around $150
'91 Elan
'87 Milano
'91 318is
'02 Protege5
'02 DRZ400s
'91 VFR750
'98 VFR800
nsr250
Enthusiast

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Wed 03.06.2015, 16:56

Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby epipete » Thu 04.06.2015, 09:20

So looking at that, if I haven't mis-read something, a Pontiac Wheel costs $99 and a Lotus Wheel costs $199, yet there's no difference!

Can sombody please tell me what I'm missing here?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby steve matthews » Thu 04.06.2015, 12:38

epipete wrote:Can sombody please tell me what I'm missing here?

The Goo. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
steve matthews
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 04.06.2015, 15:11

epipete wrote:Can somebody please tell me what I'm missing here?

You aren't missing anything Pete, it's just the guys selling the Lotus Esprit wheel knows it fits the Lotus while the people selling the Pontiac wheel don't. Adding the word LOTUS to a part's description automatically doubles the value.

For FED car owners only:

I noticed that several of the Pontiac wheels show they have the newer horn push housings (clear plastic) but don't all show the plungers are there. The M100 used the early version (black plastic) switches and the complete assemblies are interchangeable, but the internal parts are not. Anyone looking to buy should try to get the complete switches if they are available or they will have to swap the "fragile" switches.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tweetdriver63 » Fri 05.06.2015, 00:23

If you look closely, you'll see a difference between the Lotus wheel and the Pontiac wheel. There isn't any stitching on the Pontiac wheel. We have stitching on ours to make it look like leather.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
tweetdriver63
God

Return to Chassis & Steering