crunching noise x2

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

crunching noise x2

Postby V8vroom » Thu 23.07.2015, 08:28

:D

I have noticed on 2 occasions that when 'pressing on' especially tight corning I hear a terrible crunching noise that seems to come from the transmission area of the car??It goes after around 5 seconds or so and sounds like something gets loose and interferes with something moving and then settles... it has only happened twice but sounds terrible... interestingly changing gear / steering etc is totally unaffected so it doesn't seem to be a mechanical problem with the drive or transmission itself... I thought the first step to investigate might be to unbolt the handbrake / transmission tunnel to see what's going on in there.... anyone had similar??

Collague has just said wheel bearings though so that may be the obvious source of the problem??

thanks

R
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard
V8vroom
Tinkerer

Re: crunching noise x2

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 23.07.2015, 10:16

Maybe the jackshaft.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby epipete » Thu 23.07.2015, 10:46

GeoffSmith wrote:Maybe the jackshaft.

Those bolts (#6) were missing on my car, check them first - nice and easy if this is all it is!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Artaban » Thu 23.07.2015, 14:44

I seem to recall one of the bolts (no:6) on my car was loose when SJ's first checked over my car when I bought it. The reason is because its not a standard metric bolt and the parts list doesn't specify what it is; it simply says "bolt". Apparently a previous owner had thought a normal bolt would fit so it came loose??? Never did research it any further as SJ's put the correct bolt in. Might be worth a call to Steve if they are missing, though its not listed as an available part on his website.

Does anyone know what the bolt actually is? Size, length, thread pitch?

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby V8vroom » Thu 23.07.2015, 14:46

thanks guys - it is due a service at Kelvedon soon so I will ask them to check it out!
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard
V8vroom
Tinkerer

Return to Chassis & Steering