steering rack leaking

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

steering rack leaking

Postby andy b » Wed 20.07.2016, 18:06

Hi everyone i have had to top up my steering fluid up for the first time and i have a damp patch on the garage floor. must be steering fluid leak.
I have a spare rack and i am wondering weather to replace the seals in that before fitting are the seals still available. advice please.
andy b
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Re: steering rack leaking

Postby cliff » Wed 20.07.2016, 22:45

Hi Andy,

I had a leak in that area, it turned out to be the pipe from the reservoir to the rack, worth investigating first. The rack was a pita with the engine out, can only imagine what a pain it must be with it in.

I sent my rack and pump to these guys for a reconditioning so can´t help you with the seals: http://powersteeringracks.co.uk
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
07 Megane CC
06 Alfa Romeo Brera

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
Fanatic

Postby andy b » Wed 20.07.2016, 23:13

Just come in from the garage i think i will fit my spare rack once i have checked the hose from the tank to rack.
I tried Wikilec for a write up on rack removal but it is not available at the moment well to me any way am i doing something wrong i am sure i have had access before.
andy b
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 21.07.2016, 02:47

andy b wrote:Just come in from the garage i think i will fit my spare rack once i have checked the hose from the tank to rack.
I tried Wikilec for a write up on rack removal but it is not available at the moment well to me any way am i doing something wrong i am sure i have had access before.
andy b

You really should check the hoses, gaiters and anything else that can leak,

Re: WikiLEC - When in doubt, use the search!

The WikiLEC has been down for a while and lots of queries abound in the search. Use http://wikilec.com for the backup version.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby cliff » Thu 21.07.2016, 13:02

If you are still mad keen to do it, Candles wicki write up is very good. I removed the raft rather than lower it.

A word of caution, as well of one of my pipes leaking, the other one sheared off at the rack connector and the low pressure one was in poor condition as well so I ended up replacing all three. You might as well replace the UJ while you have it apart.

Good Luck
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
07 Megane CC
06 Alfa Romeo Brera

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Thu 21.07.2016, 14:56

I exchanged my steering rack recently.
A new rack in the after sales was cheaper then to have my old rack refurbished.

It was a LOT of work indeed. As I could not get the pipes out of the steering rack (the seal is a standard soft silicon O-seal by the way) I had to cut them, and replace the pipes too. So even more work.
I removed the raft as well in stead of lowering it.

All jobs involved are pretty straight forward, but just require a lot of work and brute force sometimes. Take great care not to mix the prongeron bolts as the pitch is different and some of the bolts a re non-standard so: unobtanium...
Remember to check the seal in the PAS fluid container as well ;-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Return to Chassis & Steering