Slight knock when turning wheel

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Slight knock when turning wheel

Postby simonbuk » Fri 30.09.2016, 12:44

I've noticed that when I park the car up and put it into reverse then turn the wheel, I get a bit of a clunk. Having just put some cardboard under the front wheels and then turned the s/wheel frim side to side there is a slight 'knock' sound.

What's this likely to be - track rod ends ?

I would turn the wheel and have a look under but currently by myself and my arms aren't that long......
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Slight knock when turning wheel

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 30.09.2016, 16:10

simonbuk wrote:I've noticed that when I park the car up and put it into reverse then turn the wheel, I get a bit of a clunk. Having just put some cardboard under the front wheels and then turned the s/wheel frim side to side there is a slight 'knock' sound.

What's this likely to be - track rod ends ?

I would turn the wheel and have a look under but currently by myself and my arms aren't that long......

Not sure of the significance of your "put it into reverse then turn the wheel' but you can usually cause a slight knock when you rock the steering back and forth on a power steering rack if the engine isn't running. It's due to it's design as there is a rotor sleeve and torsion bar on the end of the pinion input shaft that acts to open valves dependent upon the twist of the torsion bar but there are some internal mechanical stops to stop excessive torque being applied to the rotor sleeve - such as when a wheel is alongside a kerb, and to still provide steering if the torsion bar fails. If you rock the steering hard without the engine running and no power assistance you will be moving between these mechanical stops and will hear a knock.

If you still get a knock with the engine running and power steering operating then... yes, check track rod ends, also there is a ball inside a screwed cup on each end of the rack bar that may have play. There are inside the concertina boots on the ends of the rack. Suspension ball joints, lower or upper, can also move when steering loads are applied if they have excessive play ... Happy hunting .. :D
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby simonbuk » Fri 30.09.2016, 17:53

Thanks for the detailed response. The reverse bit could indeed be a red herring, I just noticed a clonk when changing direction (forward/reverse) but I was also moving the wheel to the other lock.

And yes I was doing this with the engine off at the time so could explain it.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 30.09.2016, 18:00

MOT looks for slack in steering, track rods and suspension ball joints so if it hasn't done a huge amount of miles since last MOT I would think it's probably OK. No harm in looking though.. :-D
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Chassis & Steering