Change the PAS fluid ?

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Change the PAS fluid ?

Postby simonbuk » Mon 10.10.2016, 16:31

I notice that the PAS fluid is on the service schedule for the B or C service. Is this easy to do ? Is there a drain plug somewhere to get it out ? Are any special techniques or tools required to do it ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Change the PAS fluid ?

Postby muley » Mon 10.10.2016, 17:47

You can get a lot of the fluid out by disconnecting the low pressure hose at the connector visible under the drivers side (UK) headlamp pod.

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby alan e » Mon 10.10.2016, 17:58

Look on YouTube our YouTube mate done it and film it.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 10.10.2016, 18:06

Oh ok thanks. Didn't realise he had covered that - my door is already in pieces because of him !!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Simon_P » Tue 11.10.2016, 01:59

Buy a large container of pas fluid and a turkey baster.

Remove all of the fluid from the reservoir with the turkey baster.
Refill the reservoir - slowly to reduce bubbles
Run the engine moving the steering from lock to lock.
Repeat.

Do this a few times and you have changed most of the fluid.

No need to undo anything, no mess... You don't even have to bend your knees.
Simon_P
God

Postby simonbuk » Tue 11.10.2016, 08:47

I did wonder about doing it this way !!

I also wondered why the fluid needs changing every 3rd service ? Does it absorb water like brake fluid ?

simonbuk
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 11.10.2016, 15:45

simonbuk wrote:I did wonder about doing it this way !!

I also wondered why the fluid needs changing every 3rd service ? Does it absorb water like brake fluid ?

In the Service Manual it's actually a C service item which is every 5th service @ 30,000 mile intervals but is also shown as Maximum Time Period of 24 months, which will come sooner unless you do 15k miles per year.

The Manual says "Nippon Oils 'Besco A.T.F. Dexron' ; Lotus Part No A100E6088V but you'll have trouble finding that. Dexron is trade name used by G.M. for their Automatic Transmission Fluids (A.T.F.) and they have evolved over the years...
history here ....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

You'll see on that link that Dexron IID, introduced 1975, was hygroscopic and IIE (which I know was introduced 1991) had reduced hygroscopicity. So yes, the service schedule allows for replacing because of hygroscopy.
Dexron III was introduced in 1995 as backwards compatible and remained until 2005 when it was replaced by Dextron VI.

I changed my alternator last year which required removing the PS Reservoir so I needed PS fluid and looked all round the internet trying to sort out what to get. Was passing Underwoods of Sudbury, my local Vauxhall Dealer, and called in and asked about "Nippon Oils 'Besco A.T.F. Dexron" and the Service Manager gave me a very detailed history of Dexron Oils, better than Wikipedia, and said Dexron VI was suitable replacement, has greatly reduced hygroscopicity and doesn't need changing so often in Vauxhall cars.

There is a comment in the Service Manual (HC.2 Page 5) that allowing air to enter a running pump can cause damage so air locks in hoses are to be avoided. As the aim of maintenance is to improve the life of components I'm with Simon_P on the simple 'drain & refill the reservoir' procedure, though I use a vacuum pump. How many times you repeat it may depend on how often you plan to do it. Not a lot of people know that ...( Michael Caine voice)... when you change the engine oil and filter (3.5l) you are still leaving 1.25l of old oil in the cooler and pipework so it's only a partial renewal each time. If it works for the engine , why not the PAS?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Chassis & Steering