elan chassis number

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

elan chassis number

Postby apollo206 » Thu 27.04.2017, 15:59

Hi there,Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but could anyone please help.
I've had a Lotus elan se turbo 1990 for several years now,obviously HPi'd it before purchase and everything all matches with the untampered identification plate under the bonnet.
I've mot'd it etc, all registered with documentation from the beginning so all checks out ok.
I've just sold it to someone who wanted it and has taken it to Cyprus.
Hes told me they will not register it in Cyprus as they cannot find the stamped VIN number on the chassis. To be honest, i wouldn't have even known where to look.As I say the one on the body under on bonnet is perfectly clear and untouched.
Has anyone else come across this? Do you really have to look hard to see it? Shouldn't the sticker be enough proof as i believe chassis can be changed. Any help in answering this would be greatly appreciated
apollo206

Re: elan chassis number

Postby dapinky » Thu 27.04.2017, 16:12

Hi Apollo,

Welcome to LEC, and whilst I can't help you directly, there are other members on here who currently live on the Isle of Aphrodite, and pete has sucessfully jumped through all the hoops to import his Elan to the island.

It may be worth sending him a PM for advice. Epipete's profile
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Thu 27.04.2017, 16:44

Hello Apollo206. Having followed Petes story of exporting his car into Cyprus I know he had huge problems but got there in the end so perseverance eventually pays off

Ps are you the same person that trades on EBay as Apollo996 by any chance :twisted:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby apollo206 » Thu 27.04.2017, 17:38

Thank you,
will try what you say.
Hopefully he will reply.
many thanks for your time
:D
apollo206

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 27.04.2017, 18:02

Chassis has VIN number punched onto it in RH wheel arch. Trouble is a lot of owners paint or waxoyl their chassis and it becomes hidden.

This might help locate it ..

VIN.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby epipete » Thu 27.04.2017, 20:32

Sorry, I got sidelined. Can I ask if you're purchaser is importing Privately or as a Government posting? If the latter then ask him to join this forum and send me a PM with some details as that is easier to help that way.

Yes, I imported an Elan M100 about 18mths ago. I had issues not with the Registration but with the mot. This might help:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24765&hilit=Cyprus#p312142

IIRC, and I'll need to look back into it, you get a period of time in which to get it registered after it arrives off the boat, you need a Cyprus MoT Certificate before you can Register it. Do yourself a favour and put it into a garage here, ask them to obtain an mot for it on your behalf, if you don't speak the language you're on a hiding to nothing. Whilst MoT stations are privately run (on behalf of the Govt) there has to be separation between the MoT Station and the Mechanic undertaking the work on your car (if you think about it this makes good sense).

It is possible that the Garage through which you get your mot will also help you get the Registration, if you're on the Bases (particularly in Epi/Akr I can point you in the right directions).

Ok, back to your initial problems, again I may need to refresh my memory but on your current UK V5 are various numbers which must correspond with those detailed on the car. There are three locations on the car

1. The Vin Plate under the bonnet
2. On the Chassis member behind the OSR Wheel
3. On the flange where the engine meets the gear box.

The first is easy to find, the second will be caked in crud but will clean up and is obvious (eventually). The 3rd is a bitch!

The flange where the engine and gearbox meet has a number on it which, with a bit of cleaning, will give you the hebejebees cus it doesn't tally and suddenly you go into panic mode cus you fear you've got a different engine in the car! Fear not, the actual number is on the other side of the flange the bad news is it is so far down that you'll never find it. I managed to clean the area and get a photo of about 4 digits with which I'd intended to mount an argument with the Authorities if needed, it wasn't, in fact I don't think the Cypriots cared. So concentrate on the first two and it'll be fine.

I'll see if I can find some pics, to help with locations for 2 & 3 and post up tomorrow.

If you need more info then carry on on this thread or use the PM as necessary.

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby apollo206 » Thu 27.04.2017, 23:02

Rambo wrote:Hello Apollo206. Having followed Petes story of exporting his car into Cyprus I know he had huge problems but got there in the end so perseverance eventually pays off

Ps are you the same person that trades on EBay as Apollo996 by any chance :twisted:

No sorry
apollo206

Postby apollo206 » Thu 27.04.2017, 23:07

Thank you so much for your help.
I really really appreciate it and your comments are greatly appreciated.
Will pass these details on to Chris in Cyprus and hopefully resolve the issue.
Thanks once again.
Ken
apollo206

Postby epipete » Fri 28.04.2017, 09:09

This may help re the Engine Number - #3 above!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19426&p=305029#p305029
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby epipete » Fri 28.04.2017, 09:27

If your guy is in the West and looking for a garage then this is who I use, I am very happy with them.

https://www.alkiscarservicing.com/

They are also on Facebook as Alkisgarage

There is very little experience with Lotus on the Island, I think mine is maybe the only M100 currently here, that said there are a lot of interested and capable mechanics about. I find that a combination of information off this site provided, tactfully, to your chosen garage works fine.

I use Alkis because he is heavily involved in Motorsports, (running a Rally Team with his son as Driver), I like his staff, he is local to me and he doesn't overcharge, no doubt there are many other garages that would fit the bill.
epipete
God

Postby apollo206 » Fri 28.04.2017, 19:33

Thanks once again.
I will forward your replies to Chris and hopefully it will help.
Many thanks
Ken
apollo206

Return to Chassis & Steering