Steering Bellow/Gaiter replacement

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Steering Bellow/Gaiter replacement

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 06.05.2017, 19:10

I have a split bellow(gaiter) and need to replace it. As the kit comes as a pair, I will end up doing both sides.

However, SJ's show 2 kits one at £45+(early), the other at £8+(late).

When does the early switch to late :?: :?: :?:

Mine is a UK SE first registered in March 1992.

Thanks in advance.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Re: Steering Bellow/Gaiter replacement

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 06.05.2017, 20:01

In the Lotus Parts Manual that we can all access - Early cars 52mm diam, later cars 46mm ...

rack boot.JPG

Not too challenging was it? ... now you just need to measure what you've got .. :lol:

I'd only do the one that's split... if it ain't broke, don't fix it !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Steering Bellow/Gaiter replacement

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 16.05.2017, 12:51

Thanks Phil, most helpful! I had already checked the parts catalogue and realised there are 2 different sizes.

My problem was how to measure it as access is inevitably crap and without putting the car off the road for too long. In the end I noticed that the bellows were secured with cable ties not jubilee clips. So I cut them off, slid the gaiter towards the tie rod and managed to get a tape measure on it. The ID was 46mm, OD 54mm, so I now know I need the 46mm later type, which are the cheaper set. Result :D :D :D

Refitted the gaiter with new cable ties, job part 1 done. Very awkward though, but easier than changing the cam-belt, which I did 4 years ago.

Ordered and on their way from SJs. Once fitted I'll get the car re-tracked, may even get 4 wheel alignment done if the local people are competent enough!!
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Return to Chassis & Steering