Removal of steering wheel ?!

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Removal of steering wheel ?!

Postby simonbuk » Sat 30.09.2017, 15:58

Is it just the one but that holds the steering wheel in place ?

If so, why the f*ck doesn't it come off then ??!! :banghead:
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Removal of steering wheel ?!

Postby Bern » Sat 30.09.2017, 16:23

I've not taken a wheel off an Elan, but they usually get stuck on the splines.

Put the nut back on a bit and then try wriggling and pulling the wheel. You need to have the nut on to stop the wheel from hitting you in the face when it comes free!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Sat 30.09.2017, 16:28

I wouldn't actually mind if it hits me in the face the way I'm feeling !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Danevansgolf » Sat 30.09.2017, 16:34

It's a pain in the f***ing arse. Did mine last year. A lot of headache. But yes it's a case of just prizing it off. But making sure it come off square. It's just stuck on the spline. Good luck.
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 30.09.2017, 16:53

They get stuck on the taper, not the splines. Splines help to select the exact position but are not loaded in service as the tightening nut locks it onto the morse taper (similar to ball joint taper) behind the splines and it's that the makes the boss and shaft as one. 'Picture is worth a thousand words' -
spline.jpg

Best way to break the taper is to use a hub puller that pulls the boss as it pushes the shaft. Keep the nut slack on the end of the shaft and you won't lose your front teeth when the taper breaks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Sat 30.09.2017, 17:38

One thing worth mentioning, is that the shaft on an elan is a 'collapsable' one (in event of a frontal crash) - as such, don't just pull the wheel towards you, and certainly don't try hitting it with a hammer - either of those approaches may result in damage to the collapsing part of the mechanism.

You need to use a puller that works between the wheel and the shaft end.

I made one up myself from a length of steel bar (long enough to go through the wheel rim, and over the end of the shaft) - luckily it is a dished wheel, so it works quite well. Then I drilled an 11mm hole in the centre (lined up with the end of the shaft), and put an M10 bolt through the hole, through a plain hex nut, and onto the end of the shaft.

By holding the nut with a spanner, and turning the bolt with another spanner it will pull the boss from the shaft.

As it is tight, it will flex the wheel a bit, so take it steady (dont use a power wrench on the bolt!). Once you have some tension on the nut, you can tap gently (sideways) on the boss if you can get to it to try to jar it free, but it shouldn't be necessary.

As others say, keep the holding nut on the thread losely, to avoid the whole lot flying around as it frees itself.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 30.09.2017, 22:46

:agree: with Dave about how column can be damaged by rough treatment and need to pull it, not hit it.

I've had an 'all singing and dancing' hub & gear puller kit with a selection of legs and centre sections so it can be used 3 legged at 120° or 2 legs at 180° for about 50 years, and have accumulated some home made extension plates and blocks of hardwood to stop the legs scratching or damaging anything so I'd be sorting out a means of using that rather than build something from scratch like Dave. I remember it even got the steering wheel off a mate's car that had been put on with Loctite :banghead: That made a Big Bang when it came free !

If you haven't got a steel bar and an 11mm drill (and a few spare hours :lol: ) to make your own something like this for £7.50 may shift it ... 4-Inch-2-Leg-Jaw-Reversible-Gear-Hub-Bearing-Puller-Removal-Tool-Set
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Chassis & Steering