PAS Pump Pipe Snapped

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

PAS Pump Pipe Snapped

Postby roy666 » Sun 08.10.2017, 21:38

Hi Guys - just driving along with out a care in the world and then the Lotus God of Bother creeps up on you. Steering went very strange then extremely stiff. Stopped straight away to see the last of the PAS fluid gushing out from under the engine. The small outlet pipe at the top of the PAS pump that goes along the side of the can belt cover had snapped clean off and the fluid was pouring out. Fortunately, I was not far from home - so i did finish the journey with a stiff rack. Qs: what's the best way to fix this?; get a second hand pump? or get the pipe soldered/braised back on? Is it damaging to the steering rack to drive the car with no fluid. I need to get it to the garage somehow,... about 15 miles through country roads...cheers Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: PAS Pump Pipe Snapped

Postby clemo » Sun 08.10.2017, 21:47

Oh roy ..

Sorry to hear of your problem , though luckily you got to it in the nick of time .
Limping it home should be fine but driving it without could knock out the power steering ram ( from what understand ) .
But to drive it 15 miles as long as all the fluid hasn't all run out and is still lubricated i would think would be alright , though not recommended of course .

Though much wiser people will come along and advise otherwise .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby roy666 » Mon 09.10.2017, 07:03

Thanks Clemo - think its gonna have to be a AA ride! But fixing it.. can one get new PAS pumps??
M
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Mon 09.10.2017, 08:08

The first approach I would try would be to contact your local branch of Pirtek to see if they could do anything. I have found them very good in the past for the PAS pipes

As to getting the car to the garage, I would use AA if you have the "at home" insurance
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby Kipperozzy » Wed 01.11.2017, 14:10

Hi Roy, one of my PAS pipes started leaking a few weeks ago , the return from the rack to the reservoir where the rubber joins the steel pipe so thankfully not full pressure so I got home before I ran out of fluid .
These were difficult to remove from the rack as the flare nut was seized onto the pipe but got them off eventually.
I bought a new set from the power steering store and fitted them, refilled with new fluid and added some of the fluid that revives rack seals then bled the system.
The fitting that bolts onto the pump is brazed onto the pipe , and is held on with a nut and hollow bolt with O rings fitted around the bolt unlike a banjo bolt and is difficult to access but can be done.
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Postby Kipperozzy » Wed 01.11.2017, 18:46

I mean a hollow stud not bolt
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Thu 02.11.2017, 08:29

Thanks Kipper... I got the pipe welded back on to the cap... 'silver brazed'.. apparently much stronger... so the old boy in workshops told me. Now having persevered with the nut to tighten it as much as I can I'm still getting a small leakage of fluid out from under the cap. Not sure I can tighten it up much more. There is no seal to put under it.. is there? R
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Kipperozzy » Thu 02.11.2017, 14:10

Hi Mike, there are O rings in each of the 2 grooves in the hollow stud, before I removed mine I assumed that there would be copper washers or dowty seals at the top and bottom but there weren't any so I refitted with the O rings and tightened up with no leaks .i checked other threads on the forum and also the manual and it's only these O rings . The nut on mine was very tight, but I don't know why it needs to be horsed up as the seal is between the side of the fitting and the hollow stud.Maybe your O rings need to be replaced or the "Lucas oil power steering stop leak" fluid I added to the dextron fluid helped mine .
The O rings are show on the Bell & Colville website , note the PAS pump detail is under the engine details
Kipperozzy
Tinkerer

Return to Chassis & Steering