steering wheel

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

steering wheel

Postby Brianabbot » Wed 09.05.2018, 07:01

Hi, its that time of year when the car comes out again, driving in to work today im wondering whether my steering wheel has dropped slightly, I have lowered the original seats and am about 6ft tall and im finding im having to crouch down to see the top of the speedo under the steering wheel. So im wondering is there any height adjustment on the wheel. It does feel as though there is a bit of vertical play, Ill take off the cowl and look at the weekend but just thought Id ask here to see if anyone has had any similar issues.
Thanks for the help
Brian
Brianabbot

Re: steering wheel

Postby Saltire » Wed 09.05.2018, 07:26

Hi Brian

On my car, there’s a lever to the left of the steering wheel (RHD car) which sticks out towards the driver. Swing the lever downwards to release the column, then move upwards again to lock. Adjustment is only up and down, not in and out as well. Page 6, item 27 in the car handbook shows the lever position, and the procedure is described on page 11.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby Brianabbot » Wed 09.05.2018, 08:17

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, what a complete muppet I am - i noticed it was low last year and Im sure that I had checked and there wasn't a lever, ive just gone out and the lever is there but hanging right down which explains why the wheel is loose and why didnt feel the lever. How I managed to fit adjustable suspension and a new radiator I dont know!

Thanks for the help!!
Brianabbot

Postby Saltire » Wed 09.05.2018, 10:01

No problem :D And, by the only muppets are those people who are too stupid or too proud to ask for help. I’ve done similar myself, and I’m sure I will again.

Enjoy the car!
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby dapinky » Wed 09.05.2018, 14:23

Brian,

We all do silly things which have an obvious answer at times but we just can't see it at the time.......

...... I once spent over an hour trying to get the drivers' seat out of the car and couldn't work out which way it needed to be folded/slid to pull it out of the door......

.... and then my wife asked if it would be easier if I took the hood down and just lifted it out :oops: :oops:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 09.05.2018, 15:11

Dave, reminds me of fitting a Nokia car phone unit that I wired in to sit above the speedo under the access cover ... spent long time sitting in the drivers seat with hood up struggling to see what I was doing and even tried using a mirror... :bonk:
Suddenly dawned on me to put the hood down, left foot in the driver's footwell, right foot on the ground and look down through the windscreen. So easy then I felt a right muppet for not thinking of it earlier .. :banghead:

Recommend it as the preferred 'Lotus position' for any work behind the instruments through that cover...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Chassis & Steering