Elan from Melbourne to Perth

Our Elans were built to be driven and not all of us want to to use them on Track Days. If you use, or plan to use, your Elan as a Grand Tourer and have completed or are planning some great trips then inspire the rest of us with the details.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Elan from Melbourne to Perth

Postby jackdaniel » Mon 16.11.2009, 08:19

Guys,

I'm looking at getting my Elan from Melbourne, and then driving back to Perth.

The trip is approximatly 3500km across one of the most desolate and uninhabited stretches of road in Australia (the world?)

Melbourne to Adelaide is an OK trip, and I have done it many times. About a 8 hour cruise along a very heavily policed route.

Adelaide to Ceduna is about another 8 hours, but its starting to get pretty thinly populated (I dont think people in the UK appreciate the distances between civilisation in Australia, unless they have been here, or driven across the remote areas of the US) Less cops, but more furry moving chicanes.

Ceduna to Eucla is a shorter day - 5 odd hours, but the Nullabour Plain comes next. It has the longest stretch of straight road in the world 145km - dead straight. Booooorrrring.

Eucla to Norseman includes the Nullabour and takes about 7 hours, also supprisingly heavilly policed. Its better to tuck in behind a semi and get a slip stream, and let them clear the wildlife. Hint - You dont drive in the country at night in Australia. Kangaroos, Emus, Camels, Sheep, Cattle, Wombats, Echidnas - each one big enough to destroy an Elan completly. During the day there are still Roos, Camels and Emus - but you have a better chance of seeing them. Wedge Tail Eagles can be a problem though. They eat the road kill, and at 2.5 metre wingspan, even though they only weigh about 6kg, it will still smash your Elan at 100kph.

You have to take EVERYTHING with you to cross the Nullabour - Spare fuel, oil, coolant, food, water, and a EPIRB. Just in case. The road has been cut off for days by rain, and you might have to wait some time to be picked up if you break down. Mobile phones.....can you hear me giggling hysterically, that stopped getting a signal 2 days ago. Fuel stops are better than years ago, but the longest distance between petrol stations is 200km (130 miles), and its a really good idea to fill up as often as possible.

031_0005890L.jpg
This is what it looks like - A LOT.
031_0005890L.jpg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

Norseman to Perth is the last day of the epic journey. Still pretty desolate and uninhabited until you get to Northam, about 100km out of Perth.

Just imagine the distance, its like you driving from London to Palermo, Italy and back again in 5 days. Except a lot hotter. In January when Im going to be doing the trip, Nullabour temperatures can reach into the mid 40'sC (115F). The record is 49.8C (122F).

Does anyone have any advice on running an Elan in these conditions? Will the cooling system cope? (Hood up and A/C on) assuming its in good condition.

Whats the WORST fuel economy anyone has got? (I'll only be travelling at 100 - 120kmh due to cops and wildlife, but I'm taking a worst case scenario)

output.gif
Melbourne to Perth - it doesnt look that far on the map, but its the same as driving from London to
(57.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Re: Elan from Melbourne to Perth

Postby RayD » Mon 16.11.2009, 17:52

Jack,

I’d wire the cooling fans up to a manual switch before setting off, for certain. It’s generally accepted they don’t come in early enough. The gauge registers a ¼ normally, but waits until ¾’s before turning the fans on.

I’d get some assurance from the seller that he’s had the fuel tank full more than once as some people have had leaks from the top end of the tank.

Fuel economy shouldn’t be a problem, although the air conditioning won’t help as you know.

Will it need a spare air filter?

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Songbird » Mon 16.11.2009, 22:05

It sounds like an epic journey ...Good luck mate :smt023

PS.... A photo diary of your journey would be fantastic for us to see ....as we all shiver here in good old Blighty
Songbird
Fanatic

Postby nitroman » Tue 17.11.2009, 05:46

jackdaniel wrote:Mobile phones.....can you hear me giggling hysterically, that stopped getting a signal 2 days ago.

If it's the main east-West road I'm a little surprised no company has strung cell towers along-side the road, since cell-towers work as a simple relay. Interstates were the first areas of out-of-town coverage in the USA, but there are still thousands of "blackout" areas in the hinterland.

Oz is at the top of the list of countries I've not yet visited. The thought of the Hellishly long plane-ride is a huge deterent, as I'm on the US Eastern seaboard. Even Europe is a 10hr trip, and you almost need a tranquilizer for that!
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby DeanG » Thu 26.11.2009, 19:28

I want to see pictures and a description of your trip.

As to mileage the worst I have ever got is about 13 miles per gallon (US gallon) that was 90+ mph going up the Rockies. Boost showing for a solid half hour.

What is the critter in the middle sign?
DeanG
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 26.11.2009, 20:04

DeanG wrote:What is the critter in the middle sign?

In his best Rolf Harris voice: "Can you tell what it is yet?"

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby DeeAitch » Thu 26.11.2009, 20:25

Think I'd be putting it on a flatbed truck :-)
Good luck 8)
DeeAitch
God

Postby HJ2 » Thu 26.11.2009, 22:22

Sounds like fun!

When do we leave?
I'll bring some UV protect for the skin .

No realy, a journey fit for a filmscript!
Best of luck and more important: Lot's of fun!
:beer:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby jackdaniel » Sat 28.11.2009, 00:22

Looks like the Elan in Melbourne fell through - the seller is a complete wanker, renegged on verbal agreement, and has decided to break the car for parts. He thinks he can get more $$$, but hasnt considered ther are about 10 Elans in OZ - parts market is 'limited' to say the least. :twisted:

So I hope he enjoys the feeling of destroying a beautiful, perfect car - what a cock. :censored: :censored: :censored:

But I might be getting 'Junk's' from the UK - wont be driving back though. Cant hold my breath that long :-D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
jackdaniel
Tinkerer

Postby cjay » Sat 28.11.2009, 03:46

there is around 25 elans in oz, but your right the dealer is a cock
I wonder what color the next one will be?
cjay
S2 #475

Return to Touring