Eurotunnel in an Elan - will it ground?

Our Elans were built to be driven and not all of us want to to use them on Track Days. If you use, or plan to use, your Elan as a Grand Tourer and have completed or are planning some great trips then inspire the rest of us with the details.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Eurotunnel in an Elan - will it ground?

Postby BFG in the BRG » Mon 25.01.2010, 22:20

Hi, I'm sure the answer is stay on the lower deck of the train however......

I've booked the BRG onto Le Shuttle later in the year for a road trip to Lake Garda, I popped over to France last weekend in the Avensis, whilst some of the ramps approaching the train at Eurotunnel Folkestone were steep, I believe the BRG would cope with them - just - however, on the way back the Avensis ended up on the top deck of the train.

Anybody ever got one of our cars up there - and more importantly - got one back down to terra ferma without grounding it - going up looked OK but I suspect the nose would ground severely on getting down from the top deck to the lower one in order to exit the train.

Naturally I intend to avoid at all costs but just incase.......anybody know for sure?
Alas soon to be Elan-less
I keep telling myself it is for the best
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Re: Eurotunnel in an Elan - will it ground?

Postby theelanman » Mon 25.01.2010, 22:48

have done the tunnel in the elan.....never had a problem....however theyve never put me anywhere than the lower deck.....:)
sorry cant be any more help about 'upstairs'.....in fact....Ive never been on the upper deck of the train......
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby MPx » Mon 25.01.2010, 23:41

Been on the train with ours cos that was part of my route back from Jersey when I imported it. We also did a mini tour of northern France with the train to start and finish the run about 5 years ago. Didn't have any problems at all.....but I cant remember which deck I was on ..... Doh! :oops:
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby VagueShot » Tue 26.01.2010, 08:03

I think the answer is no. I went over a horrendous temporary bridge at Jedburgh yesterday and it didn't.

I also saw one of those Italian poser jobs on the Eurotunnel and that had a long overhang and had no problem. I suspect, they asked to go on the lower deck.

The real question is why do you want to go on Eurotunnel. I travel to Holland regularly and nearly always use the Dover-Dunkirk ferry. It's so much cheaper, virtually no hassle and if you spend some of the savings on VIP, you get off and on so quickly and get free non-alcoholic drinks and papers in the lounge. You also meet a very interesting class of passenger on thsoe ferries. I have clocked several VolksPorsches, a Vincent Black Knight, a genuine AC Cobra and a prototype Evora, which was going on test to Europe before launch. Most are going to the Nurnburgring for some fun.

I have only grounded the Elan a couple of times, mostly on sleeping policemen. I've never had a problem on any ferries.
James Miller
http://anonw.wordpress.com/tag/lotus-elan/ - Ramblings of an anonymous widower and sometimes his ever-faithful Lotus Elan.
VagueShot
Tinkerer

Postby HJ2 » Tue 26.01.2010, 08:49

Ah! Lago di Garda! This reminds me of a promise i made. Since there is NO calender this year :-( I can publish the pictures now....
Don't forget to drive from Lago di Garda to Lago di Idro. It's a great drive through the mountains. Let the missus drink a few spumantes before you go :-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Silverghost » Tue 26.01.2010, 09:28

Re the cost of Eurotunnel, it depends.

Looking at the Ypres day on 13 May, the Eurotunnel cost going late on the 12th, coming back late 13th is £44 (2 x £22). The Dover to Dunkirk ferry for the same is £36, taking 2 hours against ? - 40 mins ? - with potential seasickness.

The ferry probably wins out in high season.
Silverghost

Postby VagueShot » Tue 26.01.2010, 09:51

The ferry is very quiet and you have the chance of a meal on board. I've done one rough crossing and the boat hardly moved as the suspension is good. If you go VIP, because you're about thirty minutes up the coast towards Belgium it's not that much slower.

I'd take the ferry every time.
James Miller
http://anonw.wordpress.com/tag/lotus-elan/ - Ramblings of an anonymous widower and sometimes his ever-faithful Lotus Elan.
VagueShot
Tinkerer

Postby BFG in the BRG » Fri 29.01.2010, 00:25

Thanks for the responses, just goes to prove - ask any question on LEC and you will get answers - I think I'll just avoid the top deck to be on the safe side.

I've used the Ferry before and always enjoyed it but have booked Le Shuttle this time because it is faster - 35 minute crossing - which will give me a head start in getting to Lago di Garda, we've got 8 days to get there and back and do a bit of touring and wine tasting. Also I can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers - so the crossing will only cost us £8 in cash.

Now all I need to do is fit a new Halls Sensor, replacemnt Samco's and a remote boot release, and oil change, filter change coolant change, MOT and anything else I think of.

Still, that is what winter is for :mrgreen: .
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Postby IanDowning » Tue 13.07.2010, 14:16

Just got back from the LeMans classic ---Upper and lower decks on le Shuttle are OK,it works on both decks --the lotus is still good for 132mph (when abroad)
IanDowning

Postby BFG in the BRG » Tue 13.07.2010, 18:04

Upper deck! - wow
I was convinced it would ground, lower deck I know is OK - but good to know - just incase I get put on the Top deck
I'll still try and insist on lower although to be fair - Eurotunnel staff seem pretty good and have always put me on lower
BFG in the BRG
Fanatic

Return to Touring