Alaska

Our Elans were built to be driven and not all of us want to to use them on Track Days. If you use, or plan to use, your Elan as a Grand Tourer and have completed or are planning some great trips then inspire the rest of us with the details.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Alaska

Postby DeanG » Sun 28.02.2010, 17:31

My wife and I are in the initial stages of planning a trip to Alaska in the M100 tentatively scheduled for the spring or summer of 2011. This trip should would finish up our goal of driving it through the 49 states of the North American continent. We are currently missing Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington and Alaska. The first three on the list will probably get a visit from us this year.

Does anyone have any experience the Alaska ferry system and the Alcan highway that would be relevant to our trip planning?

I know of a Se7en in Alaska and there used to be an Esprit up there. Not a hotbed of Lotus activity.
DeanG
God

Re: Alaska

Postby Songbird » Sun 28.02.2010, 18:40

Sounds like a fantastic trip ... Some photos of the journy would be fantastic ...Good Luck.
Songbird
Fanatic

Postby Tyger » Mon 01.03.2010, 03:45

A good friend of mine, while an army doctor, got posted from Walter Reed, in Washington, DC, to Ft Wainwright, in Fairbanks, AK, in the 1990s. He drove there himself. He said when he crossed the Canadian border into British Columbia he was still only half way there.
He said when driving on the AlCan, whenever you see a place to buy fuel, you must top off, because it may be quite a long time before you come across another gas station.
'91 Elan, '05 Elise, '90 Esprit SE ('06 Quattroporte, '01 TT MkI, '88 Daytona Shelby Z, '83 RX-7)
Tyger
Enthusiast

Postby DeanG » Tue 02.03.2010, 00:29

There is an atlas that covers the trip http://milepost.com/ that will be our guide for tough portion of the trip.
DeanG
God

Return to Touring