another mini-vacation trip in M100

Our Elans were built to be driven and not all of us want to to use them on Track Days. If you use, or plan to use, your Elan as a Grand Tourer and have completed or are planning some great trips then inspire the rest of us with the details.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

another mini-vacation trip in M100

Postby tedtaylor » Wed 28.10.2015, 16:29

Well the beautiful fall foliage beckons. This time we''re leaving this Sunday afternoon for West Virginia for 3 or 4 days. I will be doing an oil/filter change in preparation, but think i'll pass on washing and waxing until it get back. Hate to do all that cleaning and detailing, only to have it get road dirty quite quickly.

Sunday afternoon we plan to leave after lunch and head to relatives in Boyce, Virginia for dinner and an overnight stay. This way, we are closer to West Virginia and will head out after breakfast and enjoy the scenery. Hope to take in scenic train rides, cavern exploring, coal mines, and take in the beautiful and colorful foliage of the rural West Virginia mountains and farmlands. Will post updates and pictures as i can.

I just learned that across the pond in Europe, their fall foliage is limited to yellow only???? I didn't know that! Thank God, we here in USA can enjoy not only the golden yellows, but with brilliant oranges, deep purples, and ruby fiery reds too (along with greens and browns)!! What a spectrum of color to behold.

I've been thinking about selling one of my Lotus collection and may get a good last tour in with the Elan before I list it for sale. Then again, after the trip, i may just change my mind. :wink:

Stay tuned...
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Re: another mini-vacation trip in M100

Postby theelanman » Wed 28.10.2015, 17:33

tedtaylor wrote:I just learned that across the pond in Europe, their fall foliage is limited to yellow only????

new one on me.....must be somewhere not here.......coz here we have all sorts of colours......like you say yellow/gold/purple/red/orange........

my town.....
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 30.10.2015, 01:29

Well I changed the oil and the dreaded oil filter today prepping for the trip. Gosh, what a real PAIN IN THE NECK changing that filter is!!! I've never had any other car where the filter was so hidden and tucked away from reach!
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby rip » Fri 30.10.2015, 10:32

I struggled to get any sort of removal tool on the standard filter.
Some have said it is easier to get to the filter through a wheel arch. I can see mine through the wheel arch but the access hole is so small that I could barely stick a broom handle through it.
I now use K&N filters because they have a hexagonal extension on their casing designed for a 1" spanner to fit on to.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby steve matthews » Fri 30.10.2015, 12:44

rip wrote:I now use K&N filters because they have a hexagonal extension on their casing designed for a 1" spanner to fit on to.
:clap:

Exactly, I do an oil change after a good track day so 3 to 4 a year. The only way to go. :burnout:

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby Enright » Fri 30.10.2015, 15:35

tedtaylor wrote:Well I changed the oil and the dreaded oil filter today prepping for the trip. Gosh, what a real PAIN IN THE NECK changing that filter is!!! I've never had any other car where the filter was so hidden and tucked away from reach!

Did you use the wiki?
http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Oil_change
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 30.10.2015, 17:49

rip wrote:I now use K&N filters because they have a hexagonal extension on their casing designed for a 1" spanner to fit on to.

Only if it's an HP-1004. The PS-1004 does not..... don't ask me how I know!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby tedtaylor » Sat 31.10.2015, 00:22

Well I said I wasn't going to, but...... I ended up washing the car anyway. Perfectly clean and beautiful, awaiting the trip Sunday for a week of road dirt, grit and grime!

and YES, i did check the wiki on the oil change. Doesn't make it any easier doing it however. :cry:
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby JMP » Sat 31.10.2015, 11:25

tedtaylor wrote:
...I just learned that across the pond in Europe, their fall foliage is limited to yellow only???? I didn't know that! Thank God, we here in USA ...

Yeah! Sure...

This was taken a week ago, in center of France (Riom, Auvergne).

But I admit that there are statistically less red colors than in, let's say, Canada.

Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip.

Couleurs-LEC.jpg

Lotus Seven s3
Lotus Elan M100 SE
Lotus Elise S1 PTP 165
JMP

Postby tedtaylor » Tue 03.11.2015, 13:39

unfortunately "past-peak" foliage, but still very much beautiful. Enjoying the trip immensely, car running perfectly. Only glitch was I knocked the power cord plugged in the cigarette lighter for my GPS and blew a fuse. Horrible placement of that thing....every time i shift into 3rd or 5th, my knuckles hit the darn thing!!!
Attachments
west virginia trip 011 small.JPG
west virginia trip 013 small.JPG
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby tedtaylor » Wed 04.11.2015, 01:06

Cass Scenic Railway, a US National park attraction, unfortunately, stopped running Oct 31st. Still had fun looking around. Made it down to New River Gorge bridge. All the while, driving the twisties over mountainous countryside. I had a blast but it was really wearing on the wife. she gets a bit of motion sickness after awhile. What really bothers me most are the other drivers (locals I'm sure), who know the roads like the back of their hand. I'd just love to give them the back of my hand! They tailgate, then pass when possible and drive like crazy nuts in their big 4WD pickup trucks. Even a FedEx ground delivery truck passed me. I know my car can out maneuver them quite easily, but they do have the advantage of home turf. Besides, my wife would shoot me for sure, but i kept reminding myself, I'm in this for the beautiful scenic trip, not to play cat and mouse with the locals! :)
Attachments
west virginia trip 019 small.JPG
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby tedtaylor » Thu 05.11.2015, 00:43

Hot (Warm) Springs, Virginia (West Virginia) area. Water bubbling up from the ground at a constant 98 degrees. The building is about to collapse, but apparently this place is open daily for the "healing waters"! Amazing, what the back roads of America turn up... Finally heading home tomorrow after one more day of sight seeing.
Attachments
west virginia trip 045 small.JPG
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 06.11.2015, 01:19

Made it back home, safe and sound, and without incident. The car ran perfectly, and with excellent MPG. Just raveled off just over 1,000 miles on this 5 day trip. West Virginia roads are Lotus heaven roads, many twisties and switchbacks, unbelievable and quite a thrill to drive. Nothing like driving with confidence and assurance that breakdown is very unlikely with the M100. I didn't even bring a tool kit. What a testiment to this Lotus model.
Now for the deep cleaning, and waxing...
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Return to Touring