M100 Prices - What do you think?

This is the only area in the Forum where Elan prices may be discussed. Because price discussion may easily cause strong views to be expressed the following rules apply:

Price discussion in any other part of the forum will be moved here or deleted. Discussion here is to be confined to cars not advertised for sale on LEC. The prices of cars sold through LEC are not to be discussed publicly even once sold. Direct reference to the asking price of a car advertised anywhere else is strongly discouraged until that car has been sold (which is unlikely to be for the asking price). Private debate on prices is entirely acceptable and indeed encouraged in order to inform potential purchasers. This thread provides a means of initiating a private discussion.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: M100 Prices - What do you think?

Postby terry randall » Mon 20.12.2010, 00:28

Only joking Steve about members and their avitars or was it avitars and their members? Anyway, I suspect your an 'avidtar' enthusiast. I was suspicious there must an avitar black market lurking in the club somewhere, but I was failing to pick up on it. Or is it my eyesight that's failing because I can't even see Peckhs old avitar. Are there invisible avatars? I'd need to see the goods before a deal is done. Maybe I could do with a new screensaver? My Emma Peel with her baby elan probably could do with replacing. Maybe there's room for an annual avitar award?
Last edited by terry randall on Tue 21.12.2010, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.12.2010, 12:06

steve matthews wrote:You assume the worst 8)
Just because I'm in love with Rip's and again Peckhs old avatar
doesn't mean a thing :P
Steve

What about Timmo's and Pantz's avatars ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Specky » Mon 20.12.2010, 12:10

Why would you let her sit on the car....It might damage the clam... :lol:

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby terry randall » Mon 20.12.2010, 13:06

Thank's Rambo for the visuals--Timmo's avatar is a good example of the wobbly technology the girls are afraid of. However, Pantz's avatar would make an ideal screen saver-- what a way to adorn a lotus badge! But 5kB is too small a file size to be of any use. Is he negotiable for the HD version ?
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby steve matthews » Mon 20.12.2010, 15:27

Gentlemen, I do not see an avatar advancing the retail value of our cars. :evil:
Back on Topic.
However a well placed endowment of (ava) does promote a conceptual thought
process and can in deed add intrinsic value to any product :-D
terry randall wrote:Maybe there's room for an annual avitar award.

I like the idea of Avatar awards.
Steve scrambling for more pictures :lol:
steve matthews
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 22.12.2010, 10:14

Buckaroo wrote:Price is not ONLY a function of scarcity.

Those who believe that a 'thinning out' of Elan numbers, with the disappearance of the tattier examples to be broken, will inevitably lead to price increases MAY be disappointed.

Basic economics teaches us that price is a function of both supply (scarcity) but also of demand. And demand will not necessarily remain constant. The Elan remains competitive and desirable today, though it may become relatively less attractive as newer second hand Elises, SLKs, TTs and the like drop in price.

Moreover, the fact that there are still a reasonable number of Elans on the road means that Lotus can still (just about) be arsed to bother to support the car, and it means that their are a reasonable number of spares, and a decent sized community of owners that can support Group Buys and the like.

Once the number of Elans on the road dips below a certain level, all of this will become more problematic, and the car will become less easy to own, less desirable, and demand will be suppressed.

And with lower demand will come lower prices.

MGB prices have fallen from their peak for just these reasons.

Personally, I would think that Elan prices will adjust upwards slightly once the recession ends, and as more people are willing to part with their hard-earned for summer toys, but I don't think that any of us are holding on to future classics in the mould of the DB5 or E-type. Scarcity alone does not guarantee high prices. There are hardly any Vivas, Hunters and Allegros left, yet they are worth nothing, and Rover P4s and the like are Banger raced despite their scarcity.

And unless a practical, economical easy fix is found to the problem of corrosion within the tub, the Elan may be entering its twilight years anyway!

I'm a cheerful cove.

Dave Eds wrote:Blimey, you been reading the jackojournals? :roll:

The style of writing is so similar that you'd think that Buckaroo and Jackonicko were joined at the hip. In fact, if you type "cove" into the LEC search engine the only person to use this uncommon terminology, other than place names, was Jackonicko. Very strange. Has the phoenix risen from the ashes ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby terry randall » Wed 22.12.2010, 10:50

Dear 'Sherlock' Rambo,
this is all very intriguing. Do you think you've flushed something out? My goodness, you have been paying attention!
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Wed 22.12.2010, 13:17

Call me a cynic, but I wonder if Buckaroo is an aviation journalist in his spare time ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby steve matthews » Wed 22.12.2010, 14:51

Is it Buckaroo Bonsai?
Or Bonsai Buckaroo :wink:

Steve
steve matthews
God

Postby esprit888 » Wed 22.12.2010, 20:24

Rambo wrote:Call me a cynic, but I wonder if Buckaroo is an aviation journalist in his spare time ;-)

:agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:
esprit888
God

Postby terry randall » Thu 23.12.2010, 00:59

Well, enough of this seasonal frivolity, perhaps it time to put this thread to bed for Christmas. Among other things, there seems to have been a genuine concern for bodies ( elan ones as well!) and it would be a great result if someone(s) would summarise what the vulnerable body areas are and how to look for them. ( available as download for members on request). Even better if next year come warmer weather they could use a car or two to practically show others where and how to look for trouble spots. ( I would try to arrange a suitable venue to do my bit. ) Sorry, America and Australia out of the question! Anyone out there offering?
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby terry randall » Thu 23.12.2010, 10:51

P.S. Did the Bucking Horse take to the hills or was he shot ? R.I.P.
terry randall
Tinkerer

Postby Dave Eds » Thu 23.12.2010, 12:04

terry randall wrote: perhaps it time to put this thread to bed for Christmas.

At thread originators suggestion, this going nowhere topic is now put to bed.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Previous

Return to Elan Price Discussion