Wiki

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Wiki

Postby Specky » Sun 24.02.2008, 21:20

To the I.T. fellas,

Would it be possible to have a Wiki Topic on the front forum page...

There are several threads and ideas I have in mind, but no where to really post them. It seems a bit of a shame as the knowlage, information and know how is here....

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 24.02.2008, 23:22

Dave, I was hoping when we get together with Al at Donny for HIS Wiki teach ins, we can discuss how to take it forward. I've put a load of useful links and the like in the Wiki but if enough people get interested in inputting information, it would be useful to have a 'wish list' somewhere so people can suggest what would be beneficial and for others to take ownership of a topic and get it under way.

It would also be useful to have a 'new topic' page on the forum.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby RayD » Tue 26.02.2008, 14:53

If someone were producing a page on a subject that's allready been covered is it generally better to start a new Wiki page, or add it to the exsisting one?

I was thinking of Fuel_Filter and Fuel Filter 2 or Geoff's Oil Change and my Oil Filter one being used for people to practice on.

Does anyone know how to change the colour of text on a Wiki page or is it not possible?

Thanks Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Specky » Tue 26.02.2008, 14:59

RayD wrote:
Does anyone know how to change the colour of text on a Wiki page or is it not possible?

Thanks Ray

That's one of my questions for Donny..

IMHO when it comes to the content of the wiki, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so the more the merrier...

I try and keep it simple for three reasons...

1) I'm simple
2) Why over complicate it
3) English is a second language for a lot of Elan owners

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby al » Tue 26.02.2008, 16:40

RayD wrote:If someone were producing a page on a subject that's allready been covered is it generally better to start a new Wiki page, or add it to the exsisting one?

Add it to/amend the existing one - it's be better to have one definitive page than a whole bunch of pages on the same topic, some with errors, some out of date, etc. etc. Don't feel bad about editing someone else's write up, so long as you're adding new info/doing something constructive it's the right thing to do.

RayD wrote:I was thinking of Fuel_Filter and Fuel Filter 2 or Geoff's Oil Change and my Oil Filter one being used for people to practice on.

Yup, that needs sorting.

RayD wrote:Does anyone know how to change the colour of text on a Wiki page or is it not possible?

it is possible, but it's often not required or wanted - emphasis/headlines etc. are best created using the regular wiki markup since the wiki uses this internally for building tables of contents etc.

if you really do want to change the text colour for a good reason, then do this:
Code: Select all
  blah blah blah <font color='darkgreen'>text in green</font> blah blah

There's a list of colours here: http://qed.princeton.edu/index.php/Medi ... olor_Names
al
LEC Bit Basher

Postby RayD » Tue 26.02.2008, 16:48

Thank you Al,

This one is a "double post" and could do with removing.

Presumably the same will apply to Fuel Filter 2 after the tidying up has been done.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Tue 26.02.2008, 16:59

Fuel Filter 2 can now be removed, the contents have been added to Fuel Filter.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby al » Tue 26.02.2008, 17:19

heh, I was working on that too - I've merged the writeups - trying to take the the most detailed sections from both.

It'd be good if the original authors (DaPinky and Elan SE) can check it over and make sure that it still makes sense - or anyone else who's changed their fuel filter...
al
LEC Bit Basher

Postby dapinky » Tue 26.02.2008, 20:06

Yep, it makes sense to me - i would add some bits, but i'm waiting till i have had a tutorial input at Donny :oops:

In the original write up i did on the thread, i listed all parts and tools necessary for the job in question - is this not required on the wiki - is it somewhere else - should i edit it ???
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby al » Tue 26.02.2008, 20:21

dapinky wrote:In the original write up i did on the thread, i listed all parts and tools necessary for the job in question

oops my bad, got a bit over zealous with the cutting and not so generous with the pasting :oops:

Fixed now !
al
LEC Bit Basher

Postby RayD » Tue 26.02.2008, 22:20

al wrote:heh, I was working on that too

Sorry Al,

I was getting carried away.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby al » Tue 26.02.2008, 22:32

no no, knock yourself out mate ! :D
al
LEC Bit Basher

Re: Wiki

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 17.10.2009, 18:00

I just created a page on the Wiki as a repository for graphics. I called the page "Logo Graphics," but made a typo and left the "c" off of "Graphics." I can't figure out how to edit the page title to fix it, so if somebody would like to do that for me, it would be appreciated.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 17.10.2009, 20:06

First step is to hit the move tab at top of the page to re-name it, but it also leaves a re-direct from the old name so, click on the old name (but you're redirected to the new page) then click on the old name (next to where it says 'redirected from....') to get back to the old page proper then use the delete tab at the top of the page to get shot of it.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby tweetdriver63 » Sat 17.10.2009, 20:50

GeoffSmith wrote:First step is to hit the move tab at top of the page to re-name it, but it also leaves a re-direct from the old name so, click on the old name (but you're redirected to the new page) then click on the old name (next to where it says 'redirected from....') to get back to the old page proper then use the delete tab at the top of the page to get shot of it.

Well, that's clear as mud. I'll give it a shot......

Oh, well I see you took care of it. Thanks.
Chris

'91 Elan SE
'04 MB C230 Sport Coupe
'08 Mercury Mariner Hybrid
'12 Evora S GP Edition (In my dreams - HA!)
tweetdriver63
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 18.10.2009, 16:45

It took some working out Chris so I thought I'd better put it in print before I forget it. I tried to do it ages ago for the "Colant Header Tank" and "Dead Cylindes" but failed miserably!
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby RayD » Sun 18.10.2009, 19:12

Thanks for including the instructions Geoff, I had a go following Chris's request and failed.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Return to Computer Help / IT Area