SD Memory Card

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

SD Memory Card

Postby Monty » Tue 17.03.2009, 19:25

I tried reformating my 4GB Kingston card from my DV camcorder to use in a Digital Camera i got of my Dad.

But the camera is saying the card is full :?
so 1st tried formating in FAT 32
then FAT
and finally tired NTFS and since doing that it says error on the camera but now the card is only showing as 30.8 MB, formated back to FAT but i`ve lost a about 10MB on ther card :? + now i don`t have the choice of formating in FAT 32

So how the hell do i get the card back to 4GB?
Monty
Chunder King!

Re: SD Memory Card

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 17.03.2009, 21:04

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Monty » Tue 17.03.2009, 22:58

Thanks for that Geoff, but i`ve tried that and it hasn`t worked :cry:

Still showing as 30.8 MB

When i go to the My Computer, right click on the Removable media, click format and then you`ve got `Allocation unit size` whats this for? Just wondering what to set that to when formating.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby lotos » Wed 18.03.2009, 19:46

Just buy another, they're dirt cheap.
lotos
God

Postby Doug » Thu 19.03.2009, 00:01

Monty, try this:

grab SD card

Walk to the trash bin

open lid

throw SD card in

grab yourself a hard earned ale :cheers:
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby saska » Thu 19.03.2009, 10:39

Monty,
There are 2 things going on here:
1. There are SD and SDHC (High Capacity) Cards. SDHC are > 2GB and standard SD readers, whether in a camera or card reader, won't be able to read the SDHC card. So very probably your Dad's camera only uses SD cards with a max of 2Gb
2. File system issues. FAT16 has a partition size limit of 2.1GB and many older cameras only support FAT16. The camera would have to be able to support FAT32 AND SDHC in order to use a 4GB card. As far as I know, no cameras support NTFS because of compatibility issues with using NTFS on Mac/Linux whereas everyone understands FAT16/32.

Get a 2GB SD (Not SDHC) card for your Dad's camera -- Lexar & Sandisk are good. You may well be able to re-format the 4GB card in the DV recorder or reformat in FAT32 with an SDHC capable card reader. Failing that, though you don't know me from Adam, send it to me and I'll do it in an SDHC reader and return it. The email in sig. works.

Ain't progress wonderful ;)
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby Monty » Thu 19.03.2009, 20:12

:smt019 @ Doug & Lotos, See there is someone with Knowledge :-D

Saska, thanks very much for your reply

I came to the same conclusion that the camera has a 2GB limit :roll: athought theres a place (see link below) that sells the camera with a 4GB SDHC card :?
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/samsung-nv ... -2620.html

I did try on format the card on the DV recorder but that didn`t solve it :| So I may just take you up on that offer on sending the card to you :wink:

Anyways, i had another 4GB SDHC on order but i`ll use that for the DV recorder, so yesterday i`ve ordered a 2GB card.

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Jay
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby lotos » Thu 19.03.2009, 20:40

Around here 2 GB memory cards run maybe $1-10... They're disposable these days, and worth having extra for the digicam anyhow.
lotos
God

Postby Monty » Thu 19.03.2009, 21:36

lotos wrote:Around here 2 GB memory cards run maybe $1-10... They're disposable these days, and worth having extra for the digicam anyhow.

Yeah the 4GB card i`ve got ordered is a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC Class2 at £9.25, the Kingston 2GB SD Memory Card that i`ve just ordered is only £3.56 and only 99p postage :-D
from here http://www.memorybits.co.uk/

But i don`t want to be replacing them everytime somethig goes wrong with formatting them.
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby RayD » Thu 21.05.2009, 21:20

Does anyone have a Mio P550 PDA or is anyone using Mio maps from an SD Card?

Thanks Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Sun 24.05.2009, 09:56

RayD wrote:Does anyone have a Mio P550 PDA or is anyone using Mio maps from an SD Card?

Thanks Ray

Problem Solved
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Sun 31.05.2009, 17:13

Then another problem occurred...

I have a Mitac Mio P550 PDA with TomTom and Mio Maps on a 4GB SD card; it was working perfectly until it locked up while trying to access TomTom.

I did factory reset and while the Mio was capable of seeing the Mio map on the SD card and able to run it properly – and still does - the TomTom and all the other programs on the card bring up this message –

There is no application with “Install” Run the application first then open this file within the application.

Or this message ...

The File “System” cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. You may need to reinstall or restore this file.

It seems there was a small file on the Mio machine that was associated with each of the programmes on the SD card including the TomTom and I've inadvertently wiped them off during the factory reset ... the question is ... how do I get them back, and where from? And what name will they go by?

Thank you very much
Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby saska » Sun 31.05.2009, 18:53

Various snips...
RayD wrote:Then another problem occurred...
I did factory reset and while the Mio was capable of seeing the Mio map on the SD card and able to run it properly – and still does - the TomTom and all the other programs on the card bring up this message –

There is no application with “Install” Run the application first then open this file within the application.
Or this message ...
The File “System” cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. You may need to reinstall or restore this file.

It seems there was a small file on the Mio machine that was associated with each of the programmes on the SD card including the TomTom and I've inadvertently wiped them off during the factory reset ... the question is ... how do I get them back, and where from? And what name will they go by?
Ray

Ray,
I'm not expert on Mios but it is possible the file system on the SD card has become corrupted thus affecting the install/digital signature.

It may be possible to repair the file system on the SD card by running chkdsk /R on the volume. If you can get the SD card in a card reader on a PC it will show up as a Drive letter usually E: F: G: whatever. First figure out what Drive letter it has and then go to My Computer > right-click on the SD Card Drive letter and left-click on Properties (bottom). A box should open > Select the Tools tab > Select Error Checking > Check Now > Tick both boxes and then OK.

It is likely the SD card is FAT32 so should go through 3 stages of error checking/recovery whereas NTFS will do 5. This is using CRC error checking to recover damaged information.

I don't think doing the above will make your situation worse though it may not solve your problem. While you've got the card on a PC I'd also check how many of the files on the SD were marked Read-Only as opposed to read & execute.

Additional goggling has shown the following info on installing TomTom5.21:
Mio

Would probably try the latter first.
Good luck
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska

Postby RayD » Sun 31.05.2009, 19:58

Thank you Tony,

I’m just getting a ... Error: Your web template session has expired. Please login again.... From the Mio link.

I don’t have a card reader but I’ll get one and explore the points you've raised.

I happen to have the SD copied to my computer and in one of the folders found the files shown. I've copied them from the SD to the Mio and clicking on them brings up an install option. I haven’t tried it but wondered whether this might allow the Mio to start TomTom.

Or ...

Is it that ... because the Mio already has a folder titled Storage Card it ought to be able to see the TomTom program without the need for anymore files.

I had read where a Mio P550 doesn’t support any more than a 2GB SD and mine is a 4GB, but then it worked before and its working still on the Mio maps.

Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayD
Forum Member

Postby saska » Sun 31.05.2009, 21:15

RayD wrote:Thank you Tony,
I’m just getting a ... Error: Your web template session has expired. Please login again.... From the Mio link.

Ok try this one as a Copy & Paste:
http://ems00852.egain.net/system/web/vi ... E_ID=24410
Edit: Bugger that doesn't work either so here is what the page says anyway (it refers specifically to the P550):
TomTom 5.21 purchased with SD-card pre-installation is not starting installation when card is inserted in SD-socket.
TomTom 5.21 can be installed from an SD-card, although the autorun function is not working.
Do the following:
1. Navigate to the SD-card containing TomTom installation software.
2. Open the 2577 folder
3. Run the following files one by one to install Tom-Tom 5.21
* GPS.cab
* PIMAddin.cab
* TTN.cab
* WZD.cab
4. When the last file has been installed, quit file explorer.
5. Open “start/settings/system/GPS” and set the next COM-ports:
* Programs: COM5
* Hardware: COM3
* Access: Enable “Manage GPS automatically”

I don’t have a card reader but I’ll get one and explore the points you've raised.

I happen to have the SD copied to my computer and in one of the folders found the files shown. I've copied them from the SD to the Mio and clicking on them brings up an install option. I haven’t tried it but wondered whether this might allow the Mio to start TomTom.

It may be that since the reset that the autorun feature doesn't work properly and you have to do it manually. Double-clicking the autorun.exe and then following the instructions may install Tomtom properly on the Mio.

Or ...

Is it that ... because the Mio already has a folder titled Storage Card it ought to be able to see the TomTom program without the need for anymore files.

It almost certainly needs TomTom installed properly from the SD card onto the Mio so it knows where to find the executables, dlls and ini files to run.

I had read where a Mio P550 doesn’t support any more than a 2GB SD and mine is a 4GB, but then it worked before and its working still on the Mio maps.

Then this almost certainly isn't the problem unless the file system is somehow corrupted -- in which case see earlier post.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska

Postby RayD » Thu 04.06.2009, 20:53

Tony,

Sorry for the delay ... I’ve only just read the additions ... Thursday evening :shock: ... with editing the original post I didn't get a email notification ... I'm going to study it now and get back on the case.

Thank you again, Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Thu 04.06.2009, 21:11

Tony,

I had re-installed the 4 CAB files earlier and while it brought the TT back to life there is no GPS signal attached to it even after standing in the garden 10 minutes.
My ports were set at 4 and 2, just changed them to 5 and 3 unfortunately it made no difference.

Another puzzling thing which may be related to “no GPS Device” is the blue, Bluetooth light comes on as soon as I try to access TT, as though I have made a wrong choice during set up ... I think I chose “wireless TomTom” I haven’t found where I can go back to make an adjustment even if I knew what the right choice should be.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby saska » Thu 04.06.2009, 22:05

RayD wrote:I had re-installed the 4 CAB files earlier and while it brought the TT back to life there is no GPS signal attached to it even after standing in the garden 10 minutes.
My ports were set at 4 and 2, just changed them to 5 and 3 unfortunately it made no difference.

Another puzzling thing which may be related to “no GPS Device” is the blue, Bluetooth light comes on as soon as I try to access TT, as though I have made a wrong choice during set up ... I think I chose “wireless TomTom” I haven’t found where I can go back to make an adjustment even if I knew what the right choice should be.

The bluetooth is looking for an external GPS device like a GPS receiver or GPS logger (which is what I have to both log tracks of walks as well as BT the GPS to my mobile phone) so it looks as if you've set the GPS setting wrong so see if you can't redo the Mio instructions, particularly the last one:
Open “start/settings/system/GPS” and set the next COM-ports:
* Programs: COM5
* Hardware: COM3
* Access: Enable “Manage GPS automatically”

Sorry to be vague but I don't have a Mio so I'm working in the dark.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska

Postby RayD » Fri 05.06.2009, 09:58

Thanks Tony,

I’d made the mistake in “Specify your GPS Hardware” There were 4 choices, I’d picked the “TT Wireless GPS” (Bluetooth) when I should have chosen ... “Other Cable NMEA GPS” I think. At least now it’s changed over the blue light doesn’t come on and it all looks familiar ... apart from it still shows as ... No GPS Device, and TomTom won't pick up a signal.

I’m going to have a look on the net for a clue.

I saved those CAB files to the SD card and wondered if it would have been different if they had been saved to the devise? Considering TT stopped responding after the PDA had been reset. I wonder if it just wants one thing moving across.

Then again the Mio Maps work perfectly well from the devise and their set up programs seem to be on the SD card.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby saska » Fri 05.06.2009, 12:44

RayD wrote:I’d made the mistake in “Specify your GPS Hardware” There were 4 choices, I’d picked the “TT Wireless GPS” (Bluetooth) when I should have chosen ... “Other Cable NMEA GPS” I think. At least now it’s changed over the blue light doesn’t come on and it all looks familiar ... apart from it still shows as ... No GPS Device, and TomTom won't pick up a signal.

What are the other 2 choices? 'Other Cable NMEA' is an external GPS hooked up to the Mio with a cable. The one you want is the Mio Built in GPS.
I saved those CAB files to the SD card and wondered if it would have been different if they had been saved to the devise? Considering TT stopped responding after the PDA had been reset. I wonder if it just wants one thing moving across.

No. Things on the SD card should be available just as if the files were in the device itself.
I think you're within a knat's knickers of getting it working -- just need to point the TomTom stuff to the correct GPS in the Mio.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska

Next

Return to Computer Help / IT Area