SD Memory Card

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: SD Memory Card

Postby RayD » Tue 15.03.2011, 21:44

Thank you John,

Yes the new battery is the same part number … as I only had the plain new battery I had to solder the wires on … whether the heat has had an effect on it I don’t know?

Each wire had a metal plate which had been spot welded to the original battery – I may have used more heat than necessary re-using the plates – it might be worth me having another go just soldering the bare wires on?

If I do I’ll modify the case to get access from the top.

Thanks for the offer of a WiFi card … I’ll have a look at what’s available locally.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 15.03.2011, 21:59

If you mean like CR2032, then that isn't a good solution.

The plates on a cabled battery are WELDED to the battery, not soldered.

YOU SHOULD NEVER APPLY HEAT to a LI-Ion battery. There is a HUGE potential for an explosion!

The CR2032 is available from suppliers with plates already installed so you can solder your harness to the plates.

Lots of people tried to replace their IBM CMOS batteries with plain cells and they never work.

Look for a CMOS battery for an IBM T40 to get a proper CR2032 battery that you can change harnesses on or a battery for a Thinkpad 600E if you have a CR2025 battery.

They are both 3.0V batteries but the CR2032 is thicker and has a higher AH rating - it lasts longer.

So we don't carry this on in the forum, send me emails (envelope icon on the left) and I will reply quickly.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby RayD » Tue 15.03.2011, 22:03

Thanks John,

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Re: Two related electrical questions

Postby RayD » Fri 08.04.2011, 18:41

1. While giving our Hotpoint washing machine a clean out using just hot water it tripped the earth leakage switch.

Only having an ELS supply at our house … I tested the machine using our friendly next door neighbour’s power – it did a full cycle.

Here’s the question … what sort of problem do I need to look for that would trip the ELS and not the MCB? And how might it be related to having the cold feed off?

There is no continuity between earth and the five motor connections and I’ve removed the motor, cleaned the com, blown all the dust out, checked the brushes - they were worn but I couldn’t get any instantly so I replaced them – tried it again and it tripped out as the motor started to kick in.

2. What’s the easiest way of wiring an extra 13amp socket in not covered by the earth leakage switches?

Thanks Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 08.04.2011, 19:19

Ray:

I have a friend in Australia who had a similar issue with a 3 year old refrigerator that regularly tripped their ELS.

First assumption was the motor or run cap or wiring but he found that the defrost heater that was a heating element type hoop and cycled on around once a day had an internal issue that lowered the resistance to earth just enough to trip the breaker. I don't know if your washer has a water heater od something like that, but you should also look for resistive conductance as a possible cause.

My thoughts run toward the lid switch or other safety switch in the area of your cleaning that you might have gotten wet and had just enough conductance to trip the ELS.

I would measure the resistance of any device when the contacts are OPEN and if there is any resistance (accurate meter required) at all, disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

If you find the problem is a switch, blow it out with compressed air, soak it in rubbing alcohol (displaces water), drain it and blow it out and /or use a hair dryer /low power heat gun to remove the condensation and remove the conductance.

My friend was told locally that it would be too costly to fix the problem but in reality I got him a heater element for around $60.00 and posted it to him and things are again functioning.

If you find a part that needs to be replaced, look for a replacement locally, but also on Google and if the US has a better price, one of us will be willing to get it and post it to you.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby RayD » Fri 08.04.2011, 20:37

Thanks John,

It’s strange you should mention the heating element … the cleaning I was doing only involved running it through a short cycle with the cold feed turned off – as opposed to any manual cleaning - the machine filled with only hot water – and it might have been hotter than the machine is used to. Having said that, we have done it before.

The only reason for doing it today was my wife had cleaned out the detergent drawer earlier in the week and presumably pushed an amount of soap scum into the drum – when she washed this morning the sheets came out worse than when they went in.

It only tripped after I started it on hot water only.

The worst thing is it will run on a standard MCB supply – I might be buying a new machine for the sake of the ELS. :shock:

On the second question … It’s that long since I put the consumer units in I can’t remember the internal layout … having one of the twelve MCB’s spare, I wondered whether it was possible to by-pass the ELS for just one MCB … but I think not … if someone could confirm.

And what would I need otherwise to end up with a socket not covered by the ELS …
Remove the 50amp fuse.
Connect a single 32amp MCB via 2.5 flat twin and earth to the tail box?
Connect an earth wire.
Connect a new 13amp socket to the new MCB.
Replace the fuse.
????

Even if it were straightforward the consumer unit is about 30 yards away from the washing machine!

I could have been cleaning the car today :evil:
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 08.04.2011, 20:45

I can't help with actual advicec on wiring in a MCB service except to say in must be ahead of the ELS system.

Most places I have seen with split systems have 2 unique feeds to 2 unique breaker panels.

Remember that in the US, all circuits are protected by a breaker in a panel not by individual plugs that have fuses in them.

I still think you are looking for a failed or contaminated safety switch like the spin cycle switch that prevents the drum from spinning whth the lid open.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby RayD » Fri 08.04.2011, 20:51

I'll have another look tomorrow at the things you suggest John,

Thanks

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Sat 09.04.2011, 21:43

Before embarking on an examination of the individual parts I gave it another run this morning – not only did the earth leakage switch trip, but also two MCB’s covering that circuit – this time it was accompanied by that familiar “burnt out motor” smell.

One of the com strips had come off and the two brush holders fried.

It’s not clear if when I checked the continuity between six motor connections and earth it would have given a different result if I’d thought to turn it through 360º each time - or if it had two simultaneous problems with the unknown one causing the earth leak.

In either case we’ll be having a new machine on Monday, this one’s been repaired on numerous occasions and apparently we’ve had it 11 years!

Thanks again for the help

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 10.04.2011, 19:40

Ray,

I'm glad it packed up on you!

ELCBs have been replaced by Residual Current Breakers (RCB) which detect the difference between the live and neutral currents then trip at a few tens of milliamps imbalance; although this represents a resistance of ~10kohm, you are may not be able to measure this with a DMM as it is not being stressed at 240V. Although a tripping RCD may appear to be no more than an annoyance, it is a very good indication that something is wrong and current is flowing in a path that it shouldn't which should be investigated and fixed. The current usually flows into the earth wire but it may not always be so: For instance if there has been corrosion in a damp environment, there may be a path from live to the case of the appliance - if the corrosion has also taken out the earth connection, the current path could then be via the feet of the appliance to earth or via whoever touches the appliance to ground. In addition, if the leakage current is causing power (a few Watts) to be dissipated locally, there is the possibility of fire.

Speaking as a member of the IET: In the UK (since January 2005) any installation now has to be installed to the 17th edition of the IET Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:2008) and work approved by building control under Part P of the building regulations. Although this may seem heavy handed there are far to many people seriously injured or killed in the UK due to improperly installed electric wiring. 240VAC is a killer and should be treated with a lot of respect. What you were proposing would not have been compliant and could have killed someone or caused a fire.

Everyone, please treat UK mains electricity with respect - it is a lot more dangerous that the 110V US supplies.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby RayD » Mon 11.04.2011, 06:49

Thanks Geoff, and you’re obviously right about the need to be safe in such matters.

Would it be highly beneficial to have earth leakage switches changed for RCB’s and have they been made in a size for direct replacement?

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Thu 01.12.2011, 21:25

My “built into the desk” tower has its USB ports at the back ... and none at the front.

To save sliding the tower out I have 2m extension cable which has only limited use … for instance it won’t transfer files from an iPhone4 or a 500GB external hard drive. These only work when plugged directly into the back of the tower.

I saw an internally wired card reader in Maplins today which fits into the Floppy slot.

On eBay there are some 5¼” ones (Media Dashboards)

Questions …

Will they perform as good as if they had been wired in in the first place?

Will the new front USB perform as good as the ones in the back?

Is there a better way round it?

Thanks

Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RayD on Mon 05.12.2011, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
RayD
Forum Member

Postby inkitin » Thu 01.12.2011, 23:06

Ray

I have a 4 port externally powered USB hub which I bought for my old computer and no longer need. I think this could cure your USB extension lead problem at the same time as giving you 4 USB ports at the front.

If you'd like it you're very welcome to it.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby RayD » Fri 02.12.2011, 11:21

Thanks Roland you have an email.

I'm still interested in hearing peoples views on the "Media Dashboard"

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Sun 04.12.2011, 16:56

I now understand these front mounted, internally wired card readers are connected directly to the motherboard 9 pin USB connector.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Re: HTC Sensation Voucher

Postby RayD » Thu 14.06.2012, 20:51

Does anyone have an HTC Sensation or similar with the navigation system working?

Thanks

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Re: PDF ... Scan ... Word ... Form

Postby RayD » Tue 18.12.2012, 21:57

Am I missing something?

I’ve been sent a PDF form from a government department and been asked to print it, sign it, scan it back into the computer, and email it back.

Left on my own I would copy and paste the text from the PDF into MS Word, print it, sign it, scan it back into the computer, and email it back ... basically as an attached jpeg or bmp picture of the form.

Is there a better way of doing it?

I have visions of someone else being able to magically put it back into a PDF or a Word document.

Or, is it that I’m doing the best you can?

Will they expect it to be a “picture” (scan) of an A4 sheet?

Presumably as a picture it can’t be altered with simple keystrokes as a PDF or Word document could.

Thanks

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby inkitin » Tue 18.12.2012, 23:07

Ray

I may also be missing something here but, why add the step of copying and pasting into Word?

I would just print out the pdf form, sign it and then scan it back into my computer. If you're unable to scan to pdf (usually a pdf file option is available with most supplied scanner software)then I would think any image file format (Jpeg, Tif, BMP etc.) will be suitable for sending it back to HMRC.

Not sure that helps you very much! Just my thoughts.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin

Postby RayD » Tue 18.12.2012, 23:40

Thank you Roland,

I think over the years I naturally use the Word part in order to save ink. Otherwise I might find myself re-creating a large colourful logo or a page full of bold print.

Ray

Sent from my Nokia 3310
RayD
Forum Member

Postby inkitin » Tue 18.12.2012, 23:48

Ah, right, I understand the Word bit now!

and there I was, thinking I was a skinflint!! :D
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Help / IT Area