CD/DVD drive (laptop)

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

CD/DVD drive (laptop)

Postby Monty » Wed 09.09.2009, 23:00

My laptop came with Vista pre-installed but it`s given me nothing but problems, i`ve gone back to XP, but i can`t record on to DVD-R which i could before :twisted: i`m trying to backup my vids from silverstone :roll: It looks like the drive is only recognizing the standard CD-rom, at 1st i thought it might of been the 2 DVD-R disc that i had left were faulty so i went out and bought some more and still got the same problem and can`t even format them.

I`ve tried updating the driver for the CD/DVD hardware by using the drive disc that came with the laptop but no joy. So i`m gussing i`m missing some sofware.

Help would be appricated

I`ve just tried to play a DVD Film and that won`t play in windows media player, pressed help and got this:-
DVD Playback Options for Windows
If you are running the Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, or Windows XP operating system on your computer, you might need to install a compatible DVD decoder (also known as a MPEG-2 decoder) before continuing with the following activities.
Playing a DVD
Playing a recorded TV show
Playing video files that were encoded with the MPEG-2 codec (.mpeg, .mpg, and some .avi files)
To purchase a compatible DVD decoder, visit Plug-ins for Windows Media Player.
Monty
Chunder King!

Re: CD/DVD drive (laptop)

Postby ailwyn » Wed 09.09.2009, 23:08

Monty,

I guess that if the laptop came with vista then the drivers will only be for vista (XP drivers do not usually - I think - work with Vista and I would guess the reverse is also the case).

Try going to the laptop manufacturers website to try and find an XP driver for the DVD drive.

As for the DVD playback, you will need to buy (or have packaged with the laptop) a program such as WinDVD(?) as the codec (the bit that works out how to display the file) is as far as I know not available free for Windows.

A.
ailwyn
Forum Member

Postby lotos » Wed 09.09.2009, 23:26

Definitely go download XP drivers for your drive. That'll solve the problem.
lotos
God

Postby Gary » Thu 10.09.2009, 08:10

Yes, to playback DVDs you need some 'codecs' which are part of some package like WINDVD. You may have some DVD software that came with Vista you might be able to install ? Otherwise you will need to buy some software or pirate some :roll:

As far a writting to DVDs goes, XP will NOT do this as standard. You need DVD writing software (such as Nero). XP standard will write CDs, but not DVDs.

So I don't think it is a driver issue, more that you need appropriate software for reading/writting DVDs.
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 10.09.2009, 08:37

Monty...

....you have PM ;-)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Computer Help / IT Area