Wireless Network advice please

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Wireless Network advice please

Postby abmunro » Sun 24.01.2010, 21:49

We have Netgear DG834G that it running slow.

We have

Sony Vaio = 802.11 b/g

Dell = 802.11n

Acer = 802.11 a/b/g / draft-N

We have 2 X Box 360's

We also have Western Digital 4 Terrabyte shared hard drive plugged into the router

Can we upgrade to Netgear DGNB2100 N300

Plus a ( WN111 USB Adapter ) for my OLD Vaio with 802.11 b/g

Will the X Box 360's still work?

Cheers

Tony
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Re: Wireless Network advice please

Postby markv » Sun 24.01.2010, 23:58

Not sure about the upgrade, but it's definitely worth checking on the Netgear site that you have the latest firmware for your router (but you need to make sure you download the correct update as there have been 4 or 5 versions of that model (I have the DG834G v3 myself). Also, I tend to switch mine off overnight as it gets slow / hangs if left on 24*7.
Regards

Mark/.
markv
God

Postby saska » Tue 26.01.2010, 08:59

abmunro wrote:We have Netgear DG834G that it running slow.

You need to define *what* is slow -- is it internet access, file-sharing between computers in your network. What is slow?
We have
Sony Vaio = 802.11 b/g
Dell = 802.11n
Acer = 802.11 a/b/g / draft-N
We have 2 X Box 360's

How do the Xboxes connect to the Netgear -- wired or wireless?
We also have Western Digital 4 Terrabyte shared hard drive plugged into the router

Presumably as a NAS device.
Can we upgrade to Netgear DGNB2100 N300

Yes but if it is internet access that is slow then putting it in will not solve your problem.
Plus a ( WN111 USB Adapter ) for my OLD Vaio with 802.11 b/g

Try to understand the numbers. Assume you are reasonably close to the exchange and you have an 8MB/Sec broadband connection. The netgear will apportion chunks of that proportionately to each connected device.
So now look at the connected devices. The 802.11G devices are 54 Mb/sec and in real world will do 10Mb/sec but this still exceeds the speed of the broadband connection going through the DG834G. Putting a 802.11N device may give you a faster wifi connection to the router but internet access will be no quicker.
Where you may notice a difference in speed is in file/print sharing within the local network -- like to/from the WD 4Tb.
If you've got too many devices all sharing the broadband pipe then adding the N router won't make that any quicker. Where N can be a real benefit is in the range(distance) of the wireless penetration.
Will the X Box 360's still work?

Assuming the XBoxen are G wireless then as long as the wireless setting on the DGN is set to multimode then yes -- it will negotiate the best speed for the connecting device.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby VagueShot » Tue 26.01.2010, 10:53

Wireless networks are a pain in a**e. I've just hard-wired my stud here and things are so much better, as the bandwdth is a lot higher.

Cut out one or two links if you can with a cable and see how things are.
James Miller
http://anonw.wordpress.com/tag/lotus-elan/ - Ramblings of an anonymous widower and sometimes his ever-faithful Lotus Elan.
VagueShot
Tinkerer

Postby abmunro » Wed 27.01.2010, 12:34

Thanks for the info Guys.

I upgraded the firmware and completely reset the router and it has improved a lot.

The printer and WD4tb hard drive are connected via cable all other devices are wireless.
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Return to Computer Help / IT Area