My TOMTOM is Bu**ered help?

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

My TOMTOM is Bu**ered help?

Postby blacknight » Sun 21.02.2010, 11:55

My TOMTOM one v3 is being a pain....

When it boots up you have the data loading screen then the dashboard finger screen, and then just a pale blue blank screen that does not go away :twisted:

Have been to website and tried the following options:-

Soft reboot.
Format and re-install.
remove applications and re-install
Flash memory clean up.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Iain
Winter is the new summer...............best buy a hat!
blacknight
Fanatic

Location: Working on an Elan is like a box of chocolates........every one is a coffee cream!

Re: My TOMTOM is Bu**ered help?

Postby mark675 » Sun 21.02.2010, 12:11

if you dont get sorted on here try www.simplesatnav.com i have recently put tottom on a cheap satnav, with help from the guys on there.
mark675

Postby kenich » Sun 21.02.2010, 13:29

I had my TomTom freeze on after start up.Was advised by TomTom to remove "MapSettings.cfg" of the device. Sorted it out :)
kenich
Fanatic

Postby blacknight » Tue 02.03.2010, 18:14

Thanks! Am exploring both these options.

So far still no joy!

Cheers

Iain
blacknight
Fanatic

Location: Working on an Elan is like a box of chocolates........every one is a coffee cream!

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 03.03.2010, 00:17

So how did you manage to butter your TomTom anyway? :roll:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby blacknight » Wed 03.03.2010, 10:06

Confused with a toasted breakfast product :oops:

Geoff you have PM (about a week ago)

Cheers

Iain
blacknight
Fanatic

Postby blacknight » Sun 21.03.2010, 09:07

Thanks guys for all your advice.

Still have not managed to get the :censored: thing working :evil:

Re-installed everything several times, but still have the same problem. Just stays on the screen with a picture of the the hand and dashboard.

Through tom tom manager I can access and use device, but as soon as I disconect from PC it stops working.

Guess could be time for new sat nav :cry:

Cheers

Iain
blacknight
Fanatic

Postby inkitin » Sun 21.03.2010, 12:10

No guarantees, but this might help from TomTom?

You are experiencing a software issue and the problem lies within the application on your device.

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore -> Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
• TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not:-
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc -> Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 21.03.2010, 16:20

Iain, have you tried leaving it? I mean leave it for a long long time. Ours has frozen a few times (including in the middle of Spain with no maps, no clue where we were!) and the best thing I found rather than pressing everything in sight after a couple of minutes was just to leave it and one time it came back to life after about 20 minutes. :shock:

PS you had a PM back.......
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Sun 21.03.2010, 19:28

Iain,

I don't know if it would work, but......

.....I have a backup of my Tom Tom on the laptop.....

....is there a way to totaly delete everything in yours, then upload my back-up files????

Or are there 'system files' which wouldn't let it all happen?

Never having had a great problem with it (i rarely get to see the thing, I can read a map :twisted: ) i don't know what is involved.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby blacknight » Wed 24.03.2010, 09:41

Will try the file method today.

Geoff, have tried leaving it for many hours without result. In the past this has worked for me also. (will give you a call to discuss collection of discs).

Dave, I too prefer the use of a map, but lex likes it as it means she can get agro from an upset baby and the comedy voice of John Cleese on the sat nav :roll:

Fingers crossed all will be well.

Strange how this problem all started when I asked it to take me to Luton town centre :roll: No other town has ever provided me with this issue :lol:

Cheers

Iain
blacknight
Fanatic

Postby blacknight » Fri 16.04.2010, 20:45

UPDATE

Well I am very impressed with Tom Tom customer support. I rang for advice and was given a very detailed set of instructions to follow. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

Got back in touch and was advised that I would need to send it in for repair. As the unit is over two years old I was expecting to incur some kind of repair cost.

Tomtom sent out a prepaid next day delivery package to send back my unit, and within four working days I had received a fully working recon unit free of charge :shock:

A big thumbs up to Tomtom :-D

Thanks to all for your help on this one and to Tomtom for their excellent customer service.

Cheers

iain
blacknight
Fanatic

Return to Computer Help / IT Area