Problems accessing LEC

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Problems accessing LEC

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 04.08.2010, 19:03

On my home PC I seem to be unable to pull up the LEC website. I just get a blank screen then get redirected to a random search page.

This doesnt happen with other web site addresses.

I've tried various programmes - IE, Firefox, Opera - but none of them work.

Amyone got any ideas?
paulwatkins
God

Re: Problems accessing LEC

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 04.08.2010, 19:07

Oh, and before anyone suggests it, the missus hasn't put LEC on the blocked content list!
paulwatkins
God

Postby saska » Wed 04.08.2010, 19:58

paulwatkins wrote:On my home PC I seem to be unable to pull up the LEC website. I just get a blank screen then get redirected to a random search page.
This doesnt happen with other web site addresses.
I've tried various programmes - IE, Firefox, Opera - but none of them work.
Amyone got any ideas?

It is possible you have either some malware operating or even a rootkit which is redirecting URLs.
What version of Windows are you using?
In the meantime, I'd suggest the following:
1. Go along, download & save a copy of MS Security Essentials
2. Unless you've a licensed copy of Kaspersky or Eset Nod32 A/V or I/S then remove whatever anti-virus you've got in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs or Control Panel > Programs & Features.
3. Reboot machine
4. Install MS Security Essentials from wherever you saved it. It is free to use as long as you've a valid copy of Windows. When it has installed it will update itself. When finished updating do a full system scan. do Clean Computer on anything it finds.
5. Go to Malwarebytes and download the free version -- save it to someplace you know about.
6. Install Malwarebytes, then double-click the red/white icon on your Desktop
7. Run Malwarebytes. It will open with lots of tabs > you only care about 2 of them > Click Update tab > Check for Updates. It should update the database definitions. Click on the Scanner tab, Select Full System Scan > click Scan Now.
8. If it finds anything it will be listed in red. Click View Results > leave everything ticked and click Remove Selected > If it needs to reboot the PC to finish cleaning it will tell you so. Follow its advice.
9. It is possible you've got a root kit. This is something that loads (usually a .sys file) at boot time and then conceals itself from the Windows API so you can't see it. Seen quite a few of these recently.
10. Download Macafee rootkit Detective HERE > extract it and run the program. Re-name any entries it finds
11. Download Rootkit Revealer HERE extract and run it. Ignore the 2 SAC/policies entries. If it finds other thing then email the logfile to me.
12. Some would say the only true course of action after rootkit infection is format c: and re-install operating system and all apps & settings but I've had pretty good success doing the above.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 04.08.2010, 20:40

Wow Tony, thanks for that very comprehensive response, that must of taken a chunk of time!

I'll set to work tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
paulwatkins
God

Postby paulwatkins » Wed 04.08.2010, 20:48

Tony, could you please email the instructions and links to dpw1972AThotmail.com

I just realised I'm not going to be able to access the links from your message from my PC tomorrow
paulwatkins
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 04.08.2010, 21:32

paulwatkins wrote:Oh, and before anyone suggests it, the missus hasn't put LEC on the blocked content list!

Yeah - but the Scottish mafia have Paul ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 04.08.2010, 21:32

paulwatkins wrote:Anyone got any ideas?

Pinky doesn't like you? :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Wed 04.08.2010, 21:56

GeoffSmith wrote:
paulwatkins wrote:Anyone got any ideas?

Pinky doesn't like you? :twisted:

Don't start that one, you old git.

Paul, I'll e-mail the instructions to you in case tony doesn't get there in time - failing that, give me a shout - i'm off this week.

Edit - e-mail sent!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Computer Help / IT Area