MP3 files

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

MP3 files

Postby DeeAitch » Fri 10.12.2010, 22:34

I'd like to rip my CD collection to .mp3 files, any recommended - and eejit :roll: proof - software ?
I'm running, cough , Vista :cry:

DeeAitch
God

Re: MP3 files

Postby niall » Fri 10.12.2010, 23:16

I'm no geek, but can you not just use windows media player and then, if you have a substantial number of discs,
transfer the files to an external hard drive for storage?
niall
Fanatic

Postby DeeAitch » Fri 10.12.2010, 23:35

niall wrote:I'm no geek, but can you not just use windows media player and then, if you have a substantial number of discs,
transfer the files to an external hard drive for storage?

I'm not after storage Niall, after all wern't we promised CD's were indestructible :evil:
I just want to burn loads of tracks onto a CD, or perhaps Memory stick, to play in the car- acoustics in the Elan ain't the best so is there any point to CD's :?: In fact are CD's history? I hear they are almost impossible to find in New York now ?
Cue another debate ;-)
DeeAitch
God

Postby Buckaroo » Sat 11.12.2010, 00:03

iTunes is easy and foolproof.
Just one more effing bucket and I'll explode!
Buckaroo

Postby theelanman » Sat 11.12.2010, 01:00

I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby saska » Sat 11.12.2010, 10:24

DeeAitch wrote:I'd like to rip my CD collection to .mp3 files, any recommended - and eejit :roll: proof - software ?

Itunes, as suggested, will work fine however by default will rip the tracks as .aac or .m4a (which the car player may not understand) you have to go Edit > Preferences and tell it to do mp3
Another way to do it is Exact Audio Copy and LAME
EAC is particularly good at reading damaged disks as it can use all sorts of advanced techniques to read a disk.
Last edited by saska on Sat 11.12.2010, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
--
Tony
adw (at) saska.co.uk
saska
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby HJ2 » Sat 11.12.2010, 10:39

I ripped my 300+ CD collection with Itunes in the early days...

Tell it to burn MP3, fixed bit-rate (minimum 192 kbps), Normal Stereo, no smart encoding, do not use joint stereo and check the box the tells Itunes to eject the disk after ripping. I also do not filter below 10 Hz This still sounds acceptable on my (a little above average) stereo @ home. Don't adjust settings because you think you'll only listen to it in the car and you won't hear high quality so you use low quality to safe some cheap storage space. You'll regret it if you change your mind later, and can start all over again.
Also: Make a free itunes account and log in, check the box that automatically adds album art.

Now all you have to do is insert CD, and start surfing LEC. When the CD drawer opens, insert a new one, and push the drawer back
etc. etc. no further mouse click's or keyboard actions required. :bonk:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby John_W » Sat 11.12.2010, 11:02

Dave,
Welcome to the 21st Century :-D .
HJ2 wrote:Also: Make a free itunes account and log in, check the box that automatically adds album art.

In addition to getting the artwork for the album cover, iTunes automatically names all the tracks, album name and artist etc. So you don't even have to type (which if you stop to think about it, would take you bloody ages for all your CD collection).

I put all my CDs into iTunes when it first came out, and record MP3 discs for use in the Elan stereo. It's good quality, but can start "missing" a bit once the heater is hot enough to fry the head unit. I don't have a car with an iPod socket or suchlike, so what iTunes also lets you do is burn discs which can be played on a normal CD player (not MP3 format). Of course you don't get as many tracks on such a disc as you would in MP3.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby theelanman » Sat 11.12.2010, 11:12

John_W wrote:In addition to getting the artwork for the album cover, iTunes automatically names all the tracks, album name and artist etc. So you don't even have to type (which if you stop to think about it, would take you bloody ages for all your CD collection).

CDex also does the album cover and track listings......:)

the only problem I had with itunes was the ability to only sync with 1 idevice.....
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby HJ2 » Sat 11.12.2010, 11:22

You can threat the maps in itunes just like any other mp3 file...
No syncing limitations...
HJ2

Postby tigerdog » Sat 11.12.2010, 16:45

winLAME has always been easy to install and use. Before my switch to Ubuntu it was my weapon of choice and the price is certainly right. Creates genuine MP3s, not WMA or Apple-proprietary, and puts them where you tell it to. That should make it easy to gather files for burning to CD. http://winlame.sourceforge.net/
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby DeeAitch » Sat 11.12.2010, 17:07

John_W wrote:Welcome to the 21st Century :-D .

Lets not get ahead of ourselves John :wink: I'm still stuck firmly in the past - don't even have one of those fancy communicator thingymajigs yet!

Thanks guys, lots of good options there - too much choice now!
DeeAitch
God

Postby dunnlor » Sat 11.12.2010, 18:18

I've been using AltoMP3.

A nice feature is that when the CD is loaded, the application then goes out to the internet and pulls album, artist, title, year, genre, ... info for each track it finds. This information can be used to configure how the created mp3s will be organized on your hard drive.

I also like that it has volume normalization. This feature ensures that all the mp3s play at the same volume.

Tom
dunnlor
Enthusiast

Postby HJ2 » Sat 11.12.2010, 23:10

So... the same as Itunes then? :poke: :mrgreen:
Of course Lame is an excellent encoder :agree:
HJ2

Return to Computer Help / IT Area