adobe

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

adobe

Postby The Ref » Sat 19.02.2011, 09:53

I am scanning a Lotus hand book and would like to create an Adobe file how can I do it. What programs do i need? As you can tell i am not very good at this type of thing, so any help and advice will be most welcome.

Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
The Ref
Fanatic

Re: adobe

Postby tomac1975 » Sat 19.02.2011, 12:57

Hi Billy,

You need to use Acrobat to make PDF files you can buy or download as a torrent. if you Google making a PDF there are a few other ways to create them supposedly for free.
Acrobat's probably the best option though.

Cheers,

Tom.
tomac1975
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 19.02.2011, 13:05

Try CutePDF - it works just like an additional printer..... and is free. :D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Breed » Sat 19.02.2011, 14:20

If you only need it for short while download the free adobe acrobat trial, get 30 days if I remember correctly, do what you want as it is fully operational and then uninstall it.
I did this to remove the watermarks on the manuals, no problems at all.

Bill
Breed
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 19.02.2011, 14:50

Or, you could say sod the likes of Bill Gates, Microsoft and Apple, and go down the Open Source route......

....ditch MS Office (if you have it!) and use Open Office (click here ).

It's freeware, doesn't take an age to download/install and is bloody good.

It is fully compatible with MS Office, so all your Word, ppt, xls etc will work/open/be editable - you can save documents in many formats.....

....specifically, it has a .pdf function to import/export any doc as a .pdf

I have ditched MS Office in favour of this on all my systems, and have never had a problem or issue.

It looks/works just like MS Office 2003 (so ideal for people like me who hate the layout of Office 2007/2010) -

It may not have absolutely everything that the full "Ultimate 2007" has, but i haven't yet found anything that i wish it had! (thats the beauty of Open software - evreyone in the world can have an input into it, and set it up as they want!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby ashm » Mon 21.02.2011, 12:40

Try pdfcreator (link)
It's open source and works well on my machine. I used to use Adobe Acrobat, but ditched it as it's expensive and doesn't do anything this doesn't.

Adam

PS. By default it seems to want to install an Internet Explorer toolbar of some sort - this is probably how they generate revenue for the project. I've always just unchecked these options during the "custom" install though, so I've never seen it.
ashm
God

Return to Computer Help / IT Area