pc or mac

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

pc or mac

Postby The Ref » Sat 16.04.2011, 15:29

I need to up date my computer soon, I have always had "dell" laptops XPS 15" etc now I am thinking shall I go for the new Mac book por i7 15" or stay with "dell". I do a lot of woth for the Fa clips and Power Point. Anyone got good advice to help me make up my mind. By the way I will be covering the cost of the PC/MAC not the Fa.
:(

Billy
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
The Ref
Fanatic

Re: pc or mac

Postby Steve A » Sat 16.04.2011, 16:48

8) I've got 5 Mac's in my house, they don't go wrong and there's no virus problems that I alway's got with PC's

Let the Mac's against PC debate begin :smt071 :smt072
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby ailwyn » Sat 16.04.2011, 17:16

I would confirm that the mac does what you want for a price you are willing to pay, e.g. will you have to pay for the mac version of office etc.

I personally think macs are over priced gimmick machines, but there are plenty who swear by them.

My laptop is an xps 15 which I'm quite happy with, and all my machines run ubuntu, and I use open office for productivity.

I do maintain a Windows 7/office 2010 virtual machine on my laptop in case I need it.

Ultimately whatever anyone else says it is quite a pricey purchase that you have to live with.

A.
ailwyn
Forum Member

Postby HJ2 » Sat 16.04.2011, 17:20

Buy a mac and install windows 7 on it as well. You figure out for yourselve what you like, no matter what choice, you still have the right hardware :D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby JonT » Sat 16.04.2011, 17:49

Personally a Mac, but I have recently given in and bought a cheap netbook to run (amongst other things) ElanScan. Ultimately depends whether you need Windows only software. Yes, you can run Win7 on a Mac, but it's a very expensive way to build a system.
JonT
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sat 16.04.2011, 17:55

?? besides the windows 7.... No extra cost whatsoever ;-)
HJ2

Postby ailwyn » Sat 16.04.2011, 20:15

To buy a mac to install win 7 :? :?

Hardware wise what can a mac do that a pc cannot for 50% of the cost, also if you go Windows then all the instability and virus/malware issues are back.

Think about it logically, not driven by a brand allegiance.
ailwyn
Forum Member

Postby dapinky » Sat 16.04.2011, 20:25

Personally i use PC - only really because i've got all the programs i'm likely to need (or not, as the case may be), and don't want to be bothered with getting used to a new way of doing things....

....there's nowt wrong with clogs and having an outside bog :-D

That said, i use an ipad at work - but dislike it :?

my main laptop is a Dell - i got a bit fed up with the way IBM's kept going up in price when others were coming down, but have to say, you really can't beat a T series Lenovo (IMHO).

I also (like Ailwyn) generally use Open Office (but have MS office installed aswell), and these days see little advantage in paying for software when there is so much Open Source freeware availlable, which will do 99.9% of anything Bill Gates will sell you at a highly inflated price.

I really think that the days of the 2 horse race are rapidly coming to an end - LINUX / UBUNTU are accepted as mainstream, and with Google OS just round the corner, i think Bill might be worying about his proffits.

(PS - if you go for PC, I highly recomend the extra features of Win 7 Ultimate over Home Premium, but at a bit of a price :roll: )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby tigerdog » Sun 17.04.2011, 04:15

I'm the wrong guy to ask. I stopped paying for operating systems 12 years ago and haven't looked back. First BeOS (rest in peace) and using Linux for about 4 years now. I build the hardware and load the OS. Cheap compared to the alternatives and for the basics (email, browsing, playing music, etc.) does all the others do. If you can keep an Elan running, this is simple by comparison. :)
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby The Ref » Wed 20.04.2011, 20:49

going to go for the Mac book pro the best of both worlds me thinks. it costs a penny or 2 with the apple care it comes in at £1800 :(
There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't
The Ref
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 20.04.2011, 20:59

Shame you're not a student Billy. My youngest lad got a decent discount on his.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby HJ2 » Thu 21.04.2011, 07:21

In my experience you won't regret it :-)
I buy only second hand though... Not for the faint @ heart 8)
HJ2

Postby The Ref » Thu 21.04.2011, 18:20

GeoffSmith wrote:Shame you're not a student Billy. My youngest lad got a decent discount on his.

I AM I AM :wink:
The Ref
Fanatic

Postby The Ref » Tue 26.04.2011, 22:41

got the Mac book at the weekend. all i can say is it is the dogs what it,s. outstanding bit of kit
The Ref
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Wed 27.04.2011, 09:27

got the Mac book at the weekend. all i can say is it is the dogs what it,s. outstanding bit of kit

8) What a wise choice you've made :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby HJ2 » Wed 27.04.2011, 11:40

Amen :bowdown:
HJ2

Postby rip » Wed 27.04.2011, 12:50

It is probably a matter of taste & less likely a matter of fact. I was a Windows administrator for about 9 years & heard all the clap-trap from MAC users about their systems being 'better' although none of them put forward a good definition of better...back in the early 2000's, they were on OS9 which needed a reboot every day after getting locked up. I was running NT4/Win 2000/XP & had to reboot about once a year due to a system lockup, yet many claimed Windows was unstable :shock:
You won't see OS9 any more. OSX is a huge improvement becuse it is Unix with a fancy front end.

Windows has also got itself a bad name because numptys have screwed their systems up then blamed Microsoft.

I still can't get used to the MAC front end simply because I know Windows so well.

Viruses are only a problem on WIndows because it dominates the OS market. If you were writing a virus to inconvenience people, you would target the most common system too. There are MAC viruses about but I have never enccountered one.

Check out the prices of different machines. MACs are more expensive because they are more demanding of hardware because they are designed to work with large files.

Ok, done with the opinions, here are what should be the important bits:

I have yet to see a database program run on a MAC, so if you may need MS-Access, this favours Windows.
If you want to work with images or videos, then MAC OS & hardware has been designed & developed to work well with these.

Elanscan does not run on MAC OS.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby uk08462 » Thu 28.04.2011, 18:34

Check out the current edition (June 11) of Computer Shopper magazine where they analyse Mac vs PC in detail. The test basically concludes that there is not much to choose between them and you should pick whichever you prefer.

http://magazinesdownload.com/post/2011/04/14/Computer-Shopper-June-2011.aspx
S2 #048 BRG
uk08462
Enthusiast

Return to Computer Help / IT Area