eBay

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

eBay

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 26.06.2012, 20:13

The youngest (Peter) sold tickets to two concerts in London on 7/8th July using my eBay account. The first ticket went fine but the winning bidder of the other ticket got back with the following:

I'm really sorry, but someone was bidding on this for me on my computer, a long with a lot of other stuff for 'wind up'
Serves me right for leaving myself logged in on my computer, I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Now, having never sold anything on fleabay, I thought all I've got to do is report it and get them to do some work for a change but it's not as easy as that. As I read it, I have to wait 4 days (during which I should enter into communication with the buyer) and then it will take them 5 working days to 'resolve'. By this time, it will of course be too late to sell the ticket. Although I am loathed to let the scote off the hook, there is an opportunity to sell it to the next highest bidder which is only £2 less, but the third highest bidder is over £26 less - if I do this before trying to resolve it, do I pay extra fees and do I jeopardise any eBay help?

I am tempted to reply to the bidder that either:
a) His account has been used fraudulently by person(s) unknown, in which case he should report it to eBay and the Police immediately.
b) His account has been used by person(s) known to him in which case he should get the money off them and pay me.
c) He knew of the bid which is a binding contract in UK law and that he should pay me.

Any thoughts or experiences to help me?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Re: eBay

Postby epipete » Tue 26.06.2012, 20:23

Can't comment on this specifically Geoff, but my adverse experience with Ebay when winning an auction I paid but never received the item, kept contacting the seller but was consistently told it was on it's way from the states. By the time I took it up with Ebay/paypal I was timed out of the complaint and they would do nothing. Money down the drain!

I guess I'm saying keep abreast of the timeframes otherwise your stuffed!

Oh, no expert but I'd flog it to the next bidder, a loss of 2quid is low compared to all the potential pain.

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby RayD » Tue 26.06.2012, 20:30

First thing to do Geoff is sell it to the second bidder via PayPal this evening and post it in the morning remembering to get a receipt as proof of postage.

Try to contact the second bidder without using the “second chance” option, he’ll effectively be buying it “off eBay” with no charges.

Someone else bidding for the "winner" will probably be fiction. There will be no chance of him paying.

Once you have sold the ticket you’ll have plenty of time to recover the fees from the first sale.

If you need any more help send me your landline number.

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby RayD » Tue 26.06.2012, 20:56

With regard to the “winning bidder” you only need to “agree to cancel the transaction”

The seller starts the process using “resolve a problem” and the “buyer” agrees via email, via eBay, to cancel, allowing you to get the fees back and relist the item.

If there were no second bidder or you couldn’t get in touch in a timely fashion there is nothing stopping you from listing it again right now.

You can be certain the first bidder has no intension of buying it

There is no point in trying to penalise him in any way ... Sellers can’t leave negative feedback :(

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby DaveB » Tue 26.06.2012, 21:06

...Ditto

I have had a couple of bad experiences, buying and selling... and I don't use it that often!!

Ebay tend to stick their heads in the sand when it comes to complaints... they are nice 'n' all, but there is nothing they can do to make anybody else do something they don't feel like doing... like sending the damn item or paying for the damn item.

Personally, I would have all the frauds/idiots/timewasters on Ebay shot. But apparantly you can't do this. :(
Time taken to post a picture on this forum - down to 35 minutes...
DaveB
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 26.06.2012, 21:13

Yep, just found out that shooting them isn't an option either Dave - apparently eBay wouldn't have any customers left. :(

Never mind, we can try to get his 'mates' to soil their underwear....

Sorry to hear you have been the victim of fraudulent activity. This is obviously not just an inconvenience to me as I have had to offer the ticket to the second highest bidder, who may not accept the price which has been artificially raised due to your bids. I will have to raise this as a non-payment issue with eBay in an attempt to recover my losses and fortunately I have a friend who works in the Avon and Somerset Police Internet Fraud Department who I am sure will investigate fully.
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 26.06.2012, 21:16

HaHaHa! That worked well....

Actually, I'll be able to pay you for the ticket after all. Within the next couple of days. Is this okay?

Too late bonny lad - already offered to second bidder!
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Tue 26.06.2012, 21:39

Glad it's resolved - anyway I'm on leave for the next 3 weeks, so there isn't an A&S interweb fraud unit at the moment!!!!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 16.07.2012, 11:09

Hmmm, just bid on something on ebay which has had no bids in 4 days (didn't want to pay BIN) but almost instantly its had a bid which went over mine and the BIN price which is fine. But a few minutes later I've got a message saying that they have cancelled the other persons bid at their request ?? are they using another account to see how much I bid ???

WTF :evil: just done it again !!!

Member Id: s***s( 104) Cancelled: £70.00
Explanation:Bidder asked me to cancel them Bid:16-Jul-12 10:29:23 BST
Cancelled: 16-Jul-12 10:55:37 BST

Member Id: k***a( 21) Cancelled: £65.00
Explanation:Bidder asked me to cancel their bids Bid:16-Jul-12 11:04:31 BST
Cancelled: 16-Jul-12 11:07:00 BST

Looks like I need to report them !!

First bidder has bid again and been cancelled again. Ebay are investigating
Rice crispy
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:33

Hi David,

Not sure how 'au fait' you are with ebay bidding history checking, but if you go onto the 'bids' bit of the advert, then click on each bidder (even though you can't see their full username), you will get to see their bid history......

....if (as i have seen in the past) 100% of their 'bid history' is with the seller and/or other "bidders", then it's a fair indication that they're trying it on (but if they're any good at it, they'll use a few more accounts and hide it well).

Luckilly, most of 'em don't boither to try and hide it, 'coz they don't know it can be found. Also, I have the necessary privilages and access to get past all of that and see who owns certain accounts, and how many accounts are held by people/households/postcodes etc etc (unfortunately, I can only use it in connection with official enquiries).

If you list the advert number I can have a quick look for you :wink:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:35

More than likely, someone has made the seller a better offer: The item could be for sale in other areas and the seller is trying to end the auction but you keep bidding while he is cancelling the bids so he can end the auction. It would have been easier to research if you had given the item number.

Sellers ARE legally allowed to end an auction early. There is a link in eBay to end an auction and sell to the current bidder, so not always a conspiracy. If the seller has sold it through a different market, he is supposed to state the possibility of cancellation, but still isn't breaking any eBay rules.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:39

Dave, its 140799177485. fairly up to date on checking I think?? as 1st bidder was 50% and 2nd was 100% bid history which was my first worry for Shill bidding. Ebay tell me he had blocked the 2nd from bidding again and I assume he is doing the same on the 1st as he tried bidding again and was removed.

John,
thanks he seems to be trying to keep the auction going (well thats what he is saying to me) and seeit through to tomorrow

My assumption is he has had a run in with one or both of the other bidders in the past and they are causing problems. As I say above 1 was blocked by the seller and I assume the other is now? He does state it was re-listed due to timewasters but that could be because he didn't get the price he wanted or a genuine waster

David
Rice crispy
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:53

As a training excercise I thought I'd just check that my work laptop is still working after a couple of weeks holiday........

....whilst I can't discuss particulars, I would be quite happy to accept that this is likely to be a genuine item for sale by a genuine seller (or at least, that there is no known history to suggest anything untoward).
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:56

David:

He did sell it earlier as eBay item # 140794785575 for 42.00.

Maybe he has someone else trying to steal the item and is contacting him and asking them to cancel everyone's bids.

Once you have placed a bid on an item you can get his phone number from eBay. You might want to do that. It is under Advanced; Members; Find Contact Information. You will be asked the ID of the seller and will need to put the item number in. eBay should send you his registerred contact details.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Mon 16.07.2012, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 16.07.2012, 14:58

Dave you are a true Gentleman thanks for this. Must buy a beer for you next time we are at the same event. Are you at Brands or the wedding ?? if at Brands i will buy them there.

P.S. still have the rocker cover in the garage as Spud was away to take for Brittany.

David
Rice crispy
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.07.2012, 15:02

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:David:

Maybe he has someone else trying to steal the item and is contacting him and asking them to cancel everyone's bids.

Once you have placed a bid on an item you can get his phone number from eBay. You might want to do that. It is under Advanced; Members; Find Contact Information. You will be asked the ID of the seller and will need to put the item number in. eBay should send you his registerred contact details.

The 'buyer' at £42 is the man who has had the bid removed this time - possibly either a timewaster or non-payer - but as it was only re-listed 48 minutes after the first advert 'sold', it is unlikely to be a non-payer :?

As such, the inferrence is that the buyer informed the seller that he wasn't able to proceed after the end of the auction, and the seller used the 're-list' option as opposed to offering it to the next highest bidder?????

Of course, it could all be a scammer trying to shill the bids, but not using accounts which have been historically linked by name or location. (which is how I would do it, as it can't be proven 8) )
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 16.07.2012, 15:03

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:David:

Ahh the winner was the 2nd bidder this time so i suspect it didn't fetch as much as seller wanted or buyer changed his mind.

Thanks for the advice

David
Rice crispy
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.07.2012, 15:11

Of course, if it all seems too good to be true, then walking away is always an option......

(I'm not at Brands or Silverstone, but will be at a wedding in Yorkshire next month!)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Rice crispy » Mon 16.07.2012, 15:15

ok, will buy one when I see you.. will see what happens with the auction as I do want the item (yes I know its Chavvy 8) )

Once again John and Dave thanks for you advice and help

david
Rice crispy
God

Postby Rice crispy » Wed 18.07.2012, 12:51

Well i won the item and paid straight away, seller has updated to dispatched so fingers crossed all will be ok

David
Rice crispy
God

Return to Computer Help / IT Area