WikiLEC now working!

Threads for help with computer maintenance, software and hardware advice, photos and photoshopping, and other topics related to keeping your computer healthy and online with us.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: WikiLEC not working?

Postby donsladek » Mon 29.08.2016, 17:24

Hello, Dave,

I didn't intend to poke a hornet nest...

The last information I read on the Wiki was:

forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8841&hilit=new+WIKI

At this point, it sounded like access to the Wiki would be restored promptly. However, it appears this information has changed.

I appreciate all the hard work done by Admins to keep this site operational and growing, and I doubt I could maintain my Elan without the magic of the internet and all the contributions of all members.

If a "group buy" to fund the Wiki would help, I'd be willing to contribute!

dapinky wrote:Don,

Thank you for your considerate question (no, I'm NOT taking the pi$$ when i say that).

I have just got back from a great LEC-attended Lotus Festival at Brands Hatch, which reminds me of why I am here and makes everything feel good.....

.....then whilst catching up on LEC I find various comments about WikiLec and its availability (which has concerned EVERYONE for quite a while).....

.... this was discussed at the weekend with people who know more about the 'system' than I do, and the problems currently encountered.

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX.

Maybe, until one is found, it is better to remove the link to the wiki and we are no worse off than before it existed?

I found a post on another thread which I will replicate (along with my response) for general information to those who may not have seen it - the information is relevant for this thread.....

dapinky wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:It seems that nobody knows how to edit the header. Maybe they don't want to?

Who is maintaining the WikiLEC site now?

Firstly, I wish to state that EVERYONE is well aware of the issue with WikiLec.

Secondly, EVERYONE complaining that the link doesn't work, and when will it be fixed is not helpful.

ANYONE who keeps saying that all it needs is fixing a link so it should be a 2 minute job - if you're such an expert, crack on and do it :poke:

ANYONE who wants to can get back every penny they have paid for access to the WikiLec whilst it is down.

Maybe you are right John - nobody can edit the header (well, that bit isn't correct, we can edit the header - that's the easy bit - the hard bit is guessing the IP address to which it should be diected - that information is NOT currently available to any of the active LEC members

As for your second accusation that nobody wants to, well, that is clearly not correct, but I would invite you to consider such comments before placing them into public as to whether they would be either helpful or inflamatory to the situation.

please be assured that those of us who care, are actually trying to resolve the issue, but without a crystal ball or a ouija board we do not have access to the required information to get imediate access, and a back-up version CAN be found at the old site (wikilec.com), but it does not encompass many recent articles which many of us have spent time compiling.

Ideally, there would be an immediatly available back-up, but that isn't the case.

Whilst it is easy to say "Why wasn't this done?" then i throw it over to whoever wishes to complain to say "Why didn't YOU do it?"

LEC is a free resourse, and I don't believe that ANYTHING that was in the Wiki isn't available elsewhere on the site by using the search facility - but it isn't as easy as having the information in one easy-to-find place - hence why it was set up to start with - i hope it can be re-built, but in the meantime, please bear with us - people are working on it.
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.08.2016, 17:47

Don, Gini (and everyone else!).

The issue is NOT a financial one, it is NOT really a technical one, it is NOT a hosting issue....

All of these things are easy to get round, especially with the helpful offers already received :bowdown:

Basically (and this is only really my understanding, and may be incorrect), the Website and WikiLEC were hosted on different servers, and somewhere along the line a link was broken.

Now, I'm sure that we all know that in many situations, a link can be repaired very quickly and easily, and isn't at all hard to do.....

..... however, this can only be done by someone with the corrrect access to the system.

I am a Moderator (hence can only really do anything about 'content' of the forum), and have no access to the Admin control page of the website, or any of the 'back door' ways into the server.

If it were hosted on my system I could do it easily, as could anyone who has the knowledge and access.

The issue is getting hold of someone with the correct access priviliges, who still has the information needed, and the will to assist the quest....

.... when the forum was set up, Doug did it all himself, and this issue never ocurred, however, other people (who had specific knowledge) have had a hand in sorting out the forum to the stage it is in today, developing it as it goes.

As those people have left (by their own volition, generally!), the task has been done by others - which is never a problem whilst the information is available, and handed over......

.... however, when an unexpected incident occurrs, it is impossible to pass on some information, and the best has to be made of a bad situation - if we can get 'old' information from someone who set it all up years ago, but which still gives access, then happy days!

Suffice to say, there is NO WAY that the current host is going to allow me access to their servers, and whilst i could (possibly/probably) 'hack' the system to do it, there is no way that I would do so!!!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Mon 29.08.2016, 21:05

Dave,

Forgive me in advance!

Perhaps a very simple statement would have saved your time explaining (and blood pressure) - I like others have been in the dark (keeping quiet) having no idea what is wrong or if anything is happening but assuming it was. My understanding is that the powers that be prefer to get the correct access rather than recreate the WikiLEC site - Is that correct? or is there some other Financial, intellectual, moral, or property issue?

Im not sure I get your moral position regarding LEC recreatng the wiki.
The contributions were largely copied and quoted from LEC, made by LEC members and produced with the intent that it be a source of knowledge for LEC. Contrary to your statement only a select few people had access to add or edit items and that access was controlled by the LEC powers that be. The clue is in the name - I think the moral dilemma is with the mirror! - Your last comment about abusing access I fully respect.

Having been around long enough to remember the previous crashes and loss of lots and lots of data, may I ask who currently has various access rights and permissions, and what might be put in place to preempt future unexpected difficulties.

Thanks to all those putting in the effort.
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.08.2016, 22:17

Simon_P wrote:.... Contrary to your statement only a select few people had access to add or edit items and that access was controlled by the LEC powers that be....

Access was (is/will be?) available to anyone who asked for it - so long as they could be verified as LEC members - there was concern that leaving it open to the whole world could introduce possible problems with trolls changing vital information which others may rely on as being correct.

I was hoping that people would accept that "we" are trying to do whatever we can to get the resource back up and running, without me (or anyone else) having to say anything which may be seen as crass.....

Firstly, I have entered onto this thread to try to apease members that all possible efforts are being made - but I have no access to the specific information required to simply back-up an old version of WikiLEC and link to it.... which is (technolically) simple.

LEC (like most online resorses) has various "access" pemissions - and I (nor any other Moderator) do not have the relevant permissions....

...so who does?, I hear you ask.... surely SOMEONE has the access, or how did it all get set up?.....

There's the rub - if you click on 'Group Admins' there are quite a few names to choose from - most of them have long since passed the reins on to someone else to "run" the site.

But the man who was in a position to grant further access rights is no longer with us (Sy), and any information which he held becomes the Intellectual Property of his NOK....

...so even if the required information was recorded for future reference, we have no way of easily obtaining it without asking the right people - who may or may not give us access (I'm pretty sure they would), but that is no use if they do not have it - whilst it is easy to get someone to say "no problem, guys, do what you need to do", it is quite another to physically obtain the file references required - even if they exist in a recorded/retrievable form.

That is where MY moral position comes from - clearly, it CAN be done, but I WON'T be the one to do it.

Until such time as I can get someone with the relevant authority to give me the green light, I can do nowt.

In the meantime, it matters not who wrote any article on the WikiLEC site (as you say, it is all findable elsewhere), and TBH it isn't of any huge importance to anyone as it is a 'free' resourse.

All it means is that people may need to use the search function of the main forum, or even Google - either will often bring up whatever you need to know.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Mon 29.08.2016, 22:43

Dave,

dapinky wrote:Access was
Access wasn't!

dapinky wrote:if you click on 'Group Admins' there are quite a few names to choose from - most of them have long since passed the reins on to someone else to "run" the site.

I did most have visited recently - But that is why I asked the question.

I don't think you read what I wrote.

I don't believe that any of the content on LEC is or was Intellectual property belonging to Sy - Not even registered in his name.

You claim to be a mere moderator but answer as an admin....
Never mind forget I asked.
Last edited by Simon_P on Mon 29.08.2016, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_P
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.08.2016, 22:50

Simon_P wrote:I don't think you read what I wrote.

Yes I did

Simon_P wrote:I don't believe that any of the content on LEC is or was Intellectual property belonging to Sy.

Some may have been, but the access codes to get to the settings definitely were

Simon_P wrote:You claim to be a mere moderator but answer as an admin....

Not Guilty

Simon_P wrote:Never mind forget I asked.

Forgotten
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Simon_P » Mon 29.08.2016, 22:53

New thread - dapinky for Admin!
Simon_P
God

Re: WikiLEC WORKING

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 10.03.2017, 19:18

The link is back and working :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you whoever you are :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Re: WikiLEC WORKING

Postby John_W » Sat 11.03.2017, 21:32

Fredjohn wrote:The link is back and working :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you whoever you are :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good Lord, you're right. I had given it up for dead.

All I can say is that I second your thanks to whoever you are.
:mrgreen:
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Tyger » Sun 12.03.2017, 21:22

AWESOME!! Now perhaps one of the admins can change the "t" in this thread's title to a "w"? (And change the "?" to a "!")
'91 Elan, '05 Elise, '90 Esprit SE ('06 Quattroporte, '01 TT MkI, '88 Daytona Shelby Z, '83 RX-7)
Tyger
Enthusiast

Re: WikiLEC now working!

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 17.03.2017, 00:15

Don't get carried away. It works here but not here!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby madbilly » Tue 13.06.2017, 12:55

Hey up all,

What's the current status? I wanted to update the Light Motors page with new parts refs but I can't find the edit link, is that because it's a mirror? (I do or did have edit access, maybe it needs to be renewed since it's so long since I last contributed).

Cheers,
Will :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Tue 13.06.2017, 13:20

Billy,

WikiLEC is now being run from an old archived version (I believe, but may be wrong).

Certainly, I haven't added anything for a couple of years, but having read your post I went into it to see if I still can.

I logged in and it allows me to go to any page and edit it, albeit in a different format to how it used to be.

So, basically, I can't really help you very much.....

.... :poke: Smiffy - whats the score????
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby madbilly » Tue 13.06.2017, 14:11

Thanks Dave. I was being dense :banghead:
I did a page search for "log" and hey presto I found the link!
Light motors page now updated.
madbilly
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Computer Help / IT Area