Cobra Alarm and Central Locking

A place for the Cat on Skates Gang to Reminisce

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Cobra Alarm and Central Locking

Postby gwiz22 » Sat 26.09.2020, 11:06

I have a 1990 M100 with 32,00 miles on the clock. It is fitted with a Cobra 8185 alarm. Does anyone have experience of these and the central locking sytem as I have the following issues:

1. Pressing the unlock button on the Cobra remote unlocks then immediately re-locks. This is intermittent. The re-locking does not happen when I open the car using the key in the door. I think this is a Cobra problem.
2. When using the key in the door, the central locking only unlocks the drivers door. I assume the central locking should unlock both doors. I think this is a central locking problem.
3. I changed the battery in the Cobra remote fob and now it doesn't work. I read the synchronising instructions in the Cobra handbook. It says hold down both buttons and the LED should flash for 10 seconds, then go out. On mine the LED stays on full and bright and never goes out, so no synchronising happens.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Graham
gwiz22

Re: Cobra Alarm and Central Locking

Postby Blaster » Sat 26.09.2020, 11:52

I had something similar in that it would unlock after locking and the drivers door did not unlock the passengers. It was a combination of two things.

1. was the wire for the lock switch on the drivers door was cut in the connector under the dash board.
2. the lock button on the passengers door was not allowing full movement of the lock making the system think it had not locked the door.
Tony

1990 Lotus Elan SE
2009 Triumph Daytona 675SE
2012 KTM Freeride 350
2008 VW T5 4-Motion camper.
Blaster

Postby gwiz22 » Mon 28.09.2020, 11:26

Tony,
Thanks for your response. That all seems to make sense. Hopefuly I'll find the same issues as I am hoping not to have to replace the whols alarm system.
gwiz22

Postby Blaster » Mon 28.09.2020, 12:59

That's what I am in the process of doing. I have added a solenoid to the boot and changing to a flip remote with boot release that way I need just the one key but keep the door key to hand in case of emergencies.

I like to know how the alarm disables my car just in case of failures.
Tony

1990 Lotus Elan SE
2009 Triumph Daytona 675SE
2012 KTM Freeride 350
2008 VW T5 4-Motion camper.
Blaster

Postby petezipp » Wed 07.10.2020, 21:15

yes I had problems with cobra systems and I was a door latch Test manager.
I went for a very cheap CDL unit ( sorry Chinese ) which i could use a boot opener and It was better.
( subsequently had to replace it once in 7 years) but very cheap.
You can get ones which the key will fit in.
Please note operation of the Door Latch/switch will need to be in working order .
Cabinet lift units help the boot to pop up
good luck
See that in the sky is it a Tesla No it's a Mitsubishi MU-2 in Lotus ,Black & Gold
petezipp
Enthusiast

Return to Former Lotus Employees (Ex-M100 Team)