ABS SYSTEM

A place for the Cat on Skates Gang to Reminisce

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

ABS SYSTEM

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 10:10

ABS SYSTEM

Anyone who knows the Elan and all it's variants will tell you the car doesn't have ABS, it never came with ABS and those dam EBay ads are wrong! Well, that's not entirely true, the Elan was most definitely designed with ABS in mind, and there may even be a couple of cars out there with it still fitted to this day.

Every car has a partial fit, or a least some legacy components from it.

So where to start, I could come straight out with it....

"It's a Delco ABS system that was fitted to the Elan".... But where's the fun it that.

So, what got me started, it's that dam ABS light on the dashboard.

In addition why were there things on my car that were over engineered and not quite right or even have a different part number. There was only one way to find out, let's do a bit of digging and see where the story goes.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Re: ABS SYSTEM

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 10:26

The ABS light turned out just to be a plastic filter with no bulb or filament holder, most probably a legacy item from the Vauxhall Calibra, but was it? Lotus were making subtle changes to every thing GM, so why not this...

And why was my '89 instrument cluster modified after the car was completed and more to the point what was actually modified.

So many questions...

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 10:44

There was only one thing to look at, the running gear and brakes...

let's start with the rear brakes...those oddities didn't stop.

Here's a photo of a genuine Lotus brake disk, why's the end machined down, there's no apparent reason... a legacy donor car I hear you cry....

And I say...I'm not compiling a thread about the ABS system for nothing, it's for Clemo :lol:

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 10:49

The stub axel has a funny cut out, again no apparent reason...

So far all these parts were fitted to every car, but did you even notice there were odd, if not wrong...

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 10:52

So it's onto the hub carrier,

Luckily I have a brand new one, cheap as chips from the Aftersales back in the day

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:02

Well, the post above seems a waste of time...

Now for the ultimate geeks, it's all about the first letter of the Part No... They normall start A100...

But this one didn't, this that means it's modified or changed... It's back to the car for another look, here's an original...

.... I know... Legacy car....

Are you beginning to believe me.... ABS on the Elan does excist

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:10

Let's assemble the odd stub axle and hub carrier backwards...

So that explains why it's there... It's designed to let the ABS sensor pass through

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:19

So it's back to that machined brake disk... We know what we're looking for... It's gotta be a phonic wheel or induction ring..And it's not there...

Luckily for me another member had an issue with his rear brakes, something had worked it's way loose and was causing an unusual noise, his mechanic removed it...

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:25

So let's try the same principle on the front...

I have a new carrier, the Aftersales saves the day again... :-D

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:31

You guessed it... Modified... That dam Pt No has changed

Back to the car...

Another sensor mount :D

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:35

So we're looking for an induction ring on the drive shaft, these are made of plastic and normally crack and fall off on modern cars, I've yet to find one on an Elan, but other Lotus cars of the same era have similar systems.
Specky

Postby Candles » Sun 28.02.2016, 11:38

I love it - great investigation!

I was certain mine has ABS when I bought it, in fact it was just seized calipers and sliding pins!

Joking aside, I don't feel like the car 'needs' ABS, but if there was a way of preventing violent/sudden lift-off oversteer (aside from driver training), then I could see the benefit of that as I've had a couple of 'surprises' from it - luckily only one on the public road and that quickly straightened when I let off the brakes.

Candles.
Candles
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 28.02.2016, 12:03

Specky wrote:So we're looking for an induction ring on the drive shaft, these are made of plastic and normally crack and fall off on modern cars, I've yet to find one on an Elan, but other Lotus cars of the same era have similar systems.

PM sent :wink:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 12:08

dapinky wrote:
Specky wrote:So we're looking for an induction ring on the drive shaft, these are made of plastic and normally crack and fall off on modern cars, I've yet to find one on an Elan, but other Lotus cars of the same era have similar systems.

PM sent :wink:

Seen, just let me finish this bit.. Nearly done...

TTFN
Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 12:28

So where were we....

In my mind I was looking for an ABS controller or wiring...

Well this is where my story stalls, I haven't got an ABS controller, but I may have the cars main wiring loom... I've not delved into its composition and probably never will, not unless I locate the pertinent wiring diagrams for the ABS.

There are no manuals which I can find which mention the ABS, the manuals are just the usual few versions which get passed around the Internet which seem readily available. The old and bold may have their original course notes, but I've only seen one handout, and it wasn't about brakes.

Specky

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 12:32

Have others experienced the Elans ABS... that'll be a yes.

I'll keep digging and see what more I can find :D

Ex Fastcat wrote:
I also only have memory of 1 Development Federal Elan in Yellow. Yellow was a late addition to the colour chart.
The first ones were not Norfolk mustard, but Camel Yellow as per the F1 team. We did some for the Federal launch fleet and we had one back at Hethel that was a general test vehicle. I did a trip round the UK in it that was ...memorable. We were testing a 6 CD stacker in the trunk and the Delco ABS. 1500 milwes in 1 weekend, roof down middle of winter to a test route chosen simply because we wanted to follow the route in the "Its Immaterial" track "Driving away from Home"!
Specky

Postby clemo » Sun 28.02.2016, 18:45

thread approved ,
But requires more information !
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby HJ2 » Sun 28.02.2016, 19:19

Good stuff Sherlock!
You'll sort it, so here goes:

ABS DELCO retrofit kit groupby

1. HJ2 (just because, and I don't want to miss this golden opportunity)

:gathering:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby Specky » Sun 28.02.2016, 19:52

HJ2 wrote:Good stuff Sherlock!
You'll sort it, so here goes:

ABS DELCO retrofit kit groupby

1. HJ2 (just because, and I don't want to miss this golden opportunity)

:gathering:

That''s brilliant :lol:
Specky

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 28.02.2016, 20:20

Looks like this:

Needs something like this:

BTW are you sure it's a Denso system and not AC Delco ABS-VI which is GM of the right vintage which is set up using the Tech 1 scanner?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Next

Return to Former Lotus Employees (Ex-M100 Team)