ABS SYSTEM

A place for the Cat on Skates Gang to Reminisce

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: ABS SYSTEM

Postby dapinky » Sun 28.02.2016, 20:32

GeoffSmith wrote:Needs something like this:

I've got one just like that on my FOS wheel :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Giniw » Mon 29.02.2016, 04:37

I have read somewhere in a comment section that a guy said he worked in a team who developed an ABS system for the Elan but that the production ceased too early to have a chance to use it on production cars.
Unfortunately I don't remember where I have read it!!

(On the other hand, they might have realized that the brakes won't lock even without an ABS :-D)
Giniw
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 29.02.2016, 08:41

Giniw wrote:I have read somewhere in a comment section that a guy said he worked in a team who developed an ABS system for the Elan but that the production ceased too early to have a chance to use it on production cars.
Unfortunately I don't remember where I have read it!!

(On the other hand, they might have realized that the brakes won't lock even without an ABS :-D)

Giniw - if the standard 0EM brakes are correctly maintained, and are in tip top working order, you can readily lock the wheels :wink:

On any car/van without ABS I always prefer not to lock the brakes but, bring the car under control using cadence braking. So my Elan's and van have CBS :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby HJ2 » Mon 29.02.2016, 09:11

As in: ABS is between the ears, or your portable controller also known as 'brain'? :-D
Yes, I have that as well.

The entire ABS computer measure and control loop is quicker in some situations than the loop over my brain however...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Mon 29.02.2016, 13:36

Rambo > yes I concur with that ; I was just making fun of the bad reputation of our brakes.
Since I refurbished and bled them my brakes are satisfactory. I think the main problem encountered is probably a bad bleeding (because of the rear callipers?)

Anyway, I will now say that they realized the great road holding made the ABS a dispensable feature :D
Giniw
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 29.02.2016, 13:49

Rambo wrote:Giniw - if the standard 0EM brakes are correctly maintained, and are in tip top working order, you can readily lock the wheels :wink:

:agree: but the inherent benefit of FWD is it's very difficult to lock both front wheels because to do so will stall the engine, assuming the driver hasn't been stupid enough to push the clutch in!
In theory the diff will let one wheel lock but the other then has to rotate twice as fast so there is always the engine resisting a front wheel lock.

With a strong right leg you can reduce the rotational speed of the wheels to less than the vehicle speed to leave black lines and cause a bit of squealing but rarely are the wheels actually locked.
Feedback through the steering wheel tells you which one is 'letting go' first.

Used to love watching Joe Siffert in the Porsche 917 braking for a corner with tyre smoke coming out of both front wheel arches but not locking the wheels. Always 'the last of the late brakers', what a master that man was, he never needed ABS.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby andyp » Fri 01.04.2016, 21:16

Dave - I still have those induction rings off the rear of my car if you want them for your museum.............
'56 Dodge Town Wagon
'69 Elan +2
'70 Elan S4
'89 Elan SE
'94 911C2
andyp

Postby peteoddcar » Mon 04.04.2016, 18:04

ABS was certainly always a feature on the wants list, I recall wiring an Esprit and fairly sure an Excel too, not sure about an M100. I think Mr Miles and co did not like ABS back then as they were quite crude compared to now days where they receive a lot more input data not just the wheel speeds.
If the various parts, module and valve unit could be sourced and installed - probably on really feasible on a full body off rebuilt due to plumbing the issue would be getting it calibrated properly.
I know call just me Mr Negative half an empty glass but it's the last mod I would think about for my Elan!
Peteoddcar - Pacific Blue SE 1990
other sins :- 72 Dolomite Road Rally Car.'73 Mini 1275 Road Rally Car.
peteoddcar
Enthusiast

Postby Specky » Tue 05.04.2016, 11:30

andyp wrote:Dave - I still have those induction rings off the rear of my car if you want them for your museum.............

Hello stranger, I hope you're keeping well.

Elan Museum... Now there's an idea :D

You have PM

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby Specky » Tue 05.04.2016, 13:01

Here's a question...

The instrument cluster housing, is it bespoke to the Elan?

I'm aware of the Calibra connection for the dials etc... But the only Calibra photographs I can locate have a subtle differences in the housing, most noteworthy is the area below the three gauges?

That dam ABS light cover's still troubling me :roll:

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 05.04.2016, 16:16

Specky wrote:Here's a question...

The instrument cluster housing, is it bespoke to the Elan?

I'm aware of the Calibra connection for the dials etc... But the only Calibra photographs I can locate have a subtle differences in the housing, most noteworthy is the area below the three gauges?

That dam ABS light cover's still troubling me :roll:

TTFN

A friend had a MK 3 Cavalier SRi with same instruments as Elan except marking in white, not orange. SRi had two tiers of telltale lamps each side ... :bonk: Picture is better than me going on!

Think Calibra was same as Cav SRi but many more SRi's made.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 06.04.2016, 07:57

lotusflasherman wrote: A friend had a MK 3 Cavalier SRi with same instruments as Elan except marking in white, not orange. SRi had two tiers of telltale lamps each side ... :bonk: Picture is better than me going on!

Think Calibra was same as Cav SRi but many more SRi's made.

The Elan also has the two tiers of warning lamps - or at least my S2 does. The lower tier has no bulbs and is blanked out by the warning light mask, which spans both tiers. When I had my instrument panel out a few weeks ago, I did idly wonder about making use of them. However, it would be a big job, because you'd have to find and wire up new connectors for the back of the instrument panel. Instead, I elected to use a couple of the free spaces in the top tier. Much simpler.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 06.04.2016, 13:52

Saltire wrote:The Elan also has the two tiers of warning lamps - or at least my S2 does. The lower tier has no bulbs and is blanked out by the warning light mask, which spans both tiers. When I had my instrument panel out a few weeks ago, I did idly wonder about making use of them. However, it would be a big job, because you'd have to find and wire up new connectors for the back of the instrument panel. Instead, I elected to use a couple of the free spaces in the top tier. Much simpler.

"Went to see the Doc about my memory and he said I'd got Alkaseltzer or something like that.. can't really remember.." Think that joke applies to me...
SE has two banks of telltales too. On my SE on SORN I have a Manual Boost Control and wanted to know what the fuel air ratio was so fitted an LED display driven from a Lamba Sensor in the turbo.
I used the lower tier for the LEDS but seem to have forgotten that. :bonk: (It's over 10 years ago so that's my excuse. :lol: )

20160406_115216 - Copy.jpg

20160406_115243 - Copy.jpg

20160406_115146 - Copy.jpg

I think the only differences between Elan & SRi/Calibra is the black plastic front with clear screen bonded on where Elan has square holes for the telltale upper tier only; the masks over the telltale lamps where Elan has LOTUS on the unused hidden lower tier, and the function of some telltale lamps is swapped around.

Now, if the masks were produced for the Elan and it has ABS on it that's more evidence somebody at Hethel was thinking about ABS on the M100. That would probably make much more sense than fitting Aircon on a convertible. :lol:

Glad my Elan hasn't ABS. My Subaru has 250bhp, all wheel drive, traction control, ABS and really easy to drive quickly, even in snow, but it's boring as it's technology doing it. Threshold braking in the Elan is much more fun. :bananasex:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Previous

Return to Former Lotus Employees (Ex-M100 Team)