OAT Antifreeze.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

OAT Antifreeze.

Postby Martin R » Mon 01.10.2007, 18:11

As normal im lining up the projects for the winter. Last year i changed the anti freeze in my Elise to OAT ( organic acid technology ) For a few reasons really. Its now the recommended anti freeze by Lotus. It has a 5 year life span as opossed to the normal 2 year one on Glycol. It supposedly has better anti corrosion properties. Now having seen first hand the amount of corrosion you can get in a 12 year old engines waterways, im considering doing Lizs Elan this winter. Has anyone changed to this in a Elan ? A word of warning, it is not compatible with Glycol stuff and will form a sludge if mixed. You therefore have to be very carefull to flush the engine really well. Any opinions ?
2 Lotus and ones got to go :-(
Martin R
Enthusiast

Postby nitroman » Tue 02.10.2007, 03:30

If you are talking about GM's "lifetime" (the lifetime of their warranty!) antifreeze, which you must 'cuz it's 5yr/100k-mi... it has an excellent reputation here in the states. It is also VERY expensive.

One other product to consider adding if you stick with glycol is this: www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=11181
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby Martin R » Tue 02.10.2007, 19:58

This is the stuff i used on the Elise. You cant miss it, its bright pink :D

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId=33923#

It was a real pig to drain the system properly as the rad and heater matrix is real low down. I drained it first and refilled with a engine flush and plain water and drained it again. On a Elise you have to pressurise the cooling system to bleed it properly. The Elan should be a doddle after that.
Martin R
Enthusiast

Postby nitroman » Tue 02.10.2007, 20:26

Well, maybe I take back what I said about DEX-COOL (the GM extended-life coolant I mentioned). It's either pink/red/orange... don't remember for sure; but it's not green or yellow like the glycol brands.
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Personally, I had never heard anything bad about it 'til I did an internet search.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Postby Martin R » Tue 02.10.2007, 20:40

Interesting, OAT is now Lotus antifreeze of choice along with a host of other manufacteurers. It will take a bit more research.
Martin R
Enthusiast

Return to Vital Fluids